There is no roast dinner without Yorkshire pudding! These fluffy, crunchy beauties can be made in advance and frozen, saving you time and effort on the day of your feast. Whether you’re planning a traditional Sunday dinner or a special holiday meal, these freezer Yorkies will add a delicious touch to your spread. Simply whip up a batch of these golden delights, freeze them ahead of time, then pop them in the oven while your roast cooks. The result? Perfectly puffed puddings that will impress your guests and complete your roast dinner experience!
- 250 ml whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 250 g flour
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Mix milk, eggs, flour and a pinch of salt in a food processor or blender until a smooth dough forms.
- If you don’t have a food processor or blender, whisk the eggs with the flour and salt, then gradually stir in the milk until smooth.
- Place the dough in a jug, cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas 9.
- Pour ½ tsp oil into the holes of a Yorkshire pudding or muffin tin and place in the oven to heat for 10 minutes.
- Once the oil is hot, pour the batter up to a third of the way into each hole.
- Quickly place the tin in the oven then reduce the temperature to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- Cook the Yorkies for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the Yorkies from the pan, turn them over and place them in the oven for another 2-3 minutes to brown the bottom.
- Let the Yorkies cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place the cooled Yorkies in a tightly sealable freezer bag or container.
- Freeze the Yorkies for up to a month.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Place the frozen Yorkies on a baking sheet and cook until golden brown and hot, 6-8 minutes.
Equipment and tools
Before starting the recipe, make sure you have the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Baking pan or muffin tin
- Cooling rack
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Flour (gluten)
Storage and leftovers
Once you’ve made these delicious Yorkies from the freezer, here’s how to store and use leftovers:
- Allow the Yorkies to cool completely.
- Place them in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat your oven to 200°C (180°C fan) and bake for 5-10 minutes until heated through.
The Health Benefits of Frozen Yorkies
Yorkshire pudding, more commonly known as ‘Yorkies’, is a classic British side dish for Sunday roasts. These light and crispy baked dough delights are loved by many for their delicious taste and versatility. Although traditionally made from scratch, convenient from-the-freezer Yorkies are becoming increasingly popular and allow for quick and easy preparation. In addition to their convenience, these frozen Yorkies also offer several health benefits that make them an excellent addition to your meals.
1. High nutritional value
Freezer Yorkies are made using a simple recipe that includes whole milk, eggs, flour and sunflower oil. These ingredients provide a range of essential nutrients and contribute to a balanced diet.
– Whole milk: Using whole milk provides a source of calcium, protein and various vitamins. Calcium is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth, while protein supports muscle growth and repair.
– Big eggs: Eggs are packed with essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals. They are an excellent source of high-quality protein and help promote muscle strength and weight control. In addition, eggs contain nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin D and choline, which play an important role in brain function and overall well-being.
– Plain flour: Although pure flour is a refined grain, it still contains important nutrients such as carbohydrates, fiber and some B vitamins. These nutrients provide the body with energy and support proper digestion.
– Sunflower oil: While moderation is key, using sunflower oil in the recipe can contribute to a heart-healthy diet. It contains unsaturated fats, especially polyunsaturated fats such as omega-6 fatty acids. These fats help lower bad cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease.
2. Versatile and customizable
Freezer Yorkies offer great versatility when it comes to meal choices. Not only are they the ideal side dish for roast beef, but they can also be adapted to various dietary preferences or restrictions.
– Vegetarian and vegan options: By making simple ingredient substitutions, like using plant-based milk and egg substitutes, people on vegetarian or vegan diets can still enjoy delicious Yorkies with their meals.
– Part control: The individual portion sizes of frozen Yorkies make portion control easier compared to making a large batch from scratch. This aspect is particularly beneficial for people who watch their calorie intake or strive for a balanced diet.
3. Time saving and convenient
One of the main benefits of from-the-freezer Yorkies is the time and effort saved in the kitchen. There’s no need to measure ingredients, mix the dough or wait for it to rise. By simply following the cooking instructions provided, you’ll be able to make freshly baked Yorkies in no time.
– Ideal for a busy schedule: Whether you have a hectic work week or a busy family life, the convenience of frozen Yorkies can help you cut down on meal prep time without compromising on taste or nutrition. This means you can prepare a healthy meal even on the busiest of days.
– Minimize food waste: Another benefit of using frozen Yorkies is reducing food waste. Because they can be easily stored in the freezer, buying in bulk or using only the desired number of Yorkies reduces the likelihood of leftovers being thrown away.
Overall, From-the-Freezer Yorkies offer a convenient, nutritious, and customizable way to enhance your meals. Whether you’re busy, health-conscious, or have specific dietary preferences, these frozen treats can be a valuable addition to your culinary repertoire.