This festive minced meat, apple and marzipan wreath is a delightful treat to enjoy during the holidays. The combination of juicy apples, rich minced meat and sweet marzipan creates a heavenly taste that goes perfectly with dessert. Whether served warm with a dollop of heavy cream or custard or enjoyed later with a cup of tea, this wreath is a real crowd pleaser. Its beautiful presentation adds a touch of elegance to any table, making it the ideal focal point for festive gatherings. Treat yourself to this delicious treat and let the flavors of the season envelop your taste buds!
- 320g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 100g marzipan, grated
- 1 small orange, peeled
- 300 g minced meat, homemade or store-bought
- ½ dessert apple, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Roll up the dough and cut a 4 cm wide strip across the width. Refrigerate this piece until later.
- Halve the remaining dough lengthwise.
- Place the dough pieces next to each other to form a long rectangle. Pinch the cut ends together to seal.
- Sprinkle the dough with marzipan and orange peel, leaving a 1 cm border on one side.
- Spread the ground meat in the middle of the dough, similar to how you would make sausage rolls.
- Top the minced meat with apple.
- Brush a little beaten egg over the exposed edge of the dough.
- Roll the dough from the other side into a long sausage. Close with the edge sprinkled with egg.
- Using a sharp knife or scissors, cut almost all the way into the dough at a slight angle, 5 cm apart, holding each piece by one edge.
- Wrap the dough into a ring with the cut pieces facing outward to make it easier to bend. Tuck one end into the other to create a neat finish.
- Brush the wreath with egg.
- Use the leftovers from earlier to make decorations like stars or holly leaves. Brush these with egg too.
- Transfer the wreath to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Bake the wreath for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm for dessert or cold as an alternative to mince pies.
Equipment and tools
- rolling pin
- Sharp knife or cookie cutter
- Pastry brush
- Sieve (optional for dusting powdered sugar)
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Tree nuts (marzipan)
- Wheat (puff pastry)
Please be sure to check the packaging of store-bought ground beef for additional information about allergens.
Storage and leftovers
Once baked, this minced meat, apple and marzipan wreath can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If necessary, you can reheat individual slices in the microwave or oven before serving. Leftovers can also be frozen for up to 1 month. To freeze, wrap the wreath tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-safe bag or container.
Health benefits of minced meat, apple and marzipan wreath
The wreath made of minced meat, apples and marzipan is a delicious holiday treat that not only pleases the taste buds, but also offers numerous health benefits. This delicious pastry combines the flavors of sweet marzipan, tangy orange peel and rich minced meat, creating a perfect balance of enjoyment and nutrition.
1. Puff pastry
The base of this wreath is made from pre-rolled puff pastry that is light and flaky. Puff pastry is a good source of carbohydrates and provides a quick energy boost. However, due to its high calorie and fat content, it should be consumed in moderation.
The grated marzipan gives the wreath a unique nutty and sweet taste. Marzipan is made primarily from ground almonds and sugar, making it a good source of healthy fats and proteins. In addition, almonds are rich in important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, magnesium and calcium.
3. Orange peel
The small orange peel gives the wreath a refreshing citrus flavor. Oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that supports the immune system and helps the body absorb iron. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant and protects the body from harmful free radicals.
4. Minced meat
Minced meat is the main ingredient in this festive pastry and creates a rich and fruity filling. Although it traditionally contains meat, modern ground beef recipes often use a combination of dried fruit, spices, and alcohol. These dried fruits such as raisins, currants and sultanas offer a good portion of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
5. Dessert apple
The chopped dessert apple gives the wreath a pleasant crunch and natural sweetness. Apples are rich in antioxidants, fiber and vitamin C, which are known to support digestive health, regulate blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Together, these ingredients create a flavorful and nutritious pastry that you can enjoy during the holidays. However, it’s important to remember that moderation is key because this wreath is still a treat and should be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet.