Want to add a delicious twist to the classic Italian tomato and stale bread salad? Try our winter apple and pumpkin panzanella recipe! This seasonal variation offers a combination of flavors including sweet hazelnuts, tangy cranberries, savory pumpkin and crisp apple. With the perfect balance of flavor and texture, this dish will impress your taste buds. Gather all the ingredients, follow our simple instructions, and prepare for a refreshing and satisfying meal that captures the essence of winter.
- ½ large butternut squash, cut into pieces
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 apples, cored and cut into narrow wedges
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 200g leftover crusty bread (we used ciabatta), torn into pieces
- 100g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 200g bag chopped kale
- 100g dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the pumpkin on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle the sage and some spices over it.
- Mix everything together and then bake for 30 minutes.
- Place the apple slices on the tray, drizzle the honey over them and mix with the pumpkin.
- Place the bread on a separate tray and place both trays back in the oven.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the pumpkin and apple are soft, starting to caramelize and the bread is crispy.
- In the meantime, toast the hazelnuts in a small pan until golden brown.
- Remove the trays from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the remaining oil, honey and vinegar with some spices in a large bowl.
- Add kale, cranberries, hazelnuts, pumpkin apples and toasted bread.
- Mix everything together and transfer to a platter or plate to serve.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Nuts (hazelnuts)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply pop them in the oven until warm. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Winter Apple and Panzanella Squash
Winter Apple Squash Panzanella is a delicious and nutritious dish that combines the flavors of butternut squash, apples, cranberries, and kale. Not only does it offer a wealth of seasonal flavors, but it also offers numerous health benefits.
1. Rich in vitamins and minerals
The combination of butternut squash, apples and kale in this recipe ensures a high intake of important vitamins and minerals. Butternut squash is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium. Apples are rich in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin C, while kale is a nutritional powerhouse rich in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals like calcium and iron.
2. Promotes digestive health
This panzanella contains cranberries, which are known for their high fiber content. Fiber promotes digestion and prevents constipation. It also contributes to a healthy gut by promoting the growth of beneficial gut bacteria.
3. Supports heart health
The ingredients used in this dish contribute to a heart-healthy diet. Butternut squash and kale are low in saturated fat and cholesterol, making them an excellent choice for cardiovascular health. Olive oil, a key ingredient, contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and antioxidants that can reduce inflammation and improve heart function.
4. Strengthens the immune system
Apples and cranberries are known for their immune-boosting properties. They are rich in antioxidants and vitamins, especially vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system and protects against common diseases and infections.
5. Provides energy and satiety
The combination of crusty bread, hazelnuts and olive oil in this panzanella provides a good source of energy from carbohydrates and healthy fats. These ingredients also contribute to a feeling of satiety, making it a filling and nutritious meal.
In summary, winter apple and pumpkin panzanella is a delicious dish that not only pleases the taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. Its combination of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants make it a nutritious choice to support overall wellness. Try incorporating this recipe into your winter menu for a tasty and nutritious meal.