This page description is for a delicious dish called “White Bean, Parsley & Garlic Mash,” which is perfect for non-Muslims because it contains pork.
If you are looking for a quick and easy side dish, this recipe is ideal for you. By using canned beans and chickpeas as the main ingredients, you can easily mash them into a flavorful and satisfying porridge. The combination of white beans, fresh parsley and garlic creates a delicious flavor that goes well with any main dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot or 1-2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 x 400g cans of cannellini beans, drained
- 50 ml broth or water
- large handful of flat-leaf parsley
Beans with olives and feta
A variant of the Greek salad that can be served
hot or at room temperature. Soften grated
Zest 1 lemon in 2 tablespoons olive oil, then tip over
drained butter beans in 2 x 400g cans,
100g crumbled feta, a handful chopped
Olives and a pinch of dried oregano. Crush
Roughly chop and season to taste. Perfect with
grilled lamb, crusty bread and hummus.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot.
- Add the shallots (or onions) and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic cloves and cook until softened, another 2 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans to the pan.
- Roughly crush the beans and loosen them with a little broth or water.
- Stir in parsley.
- Season generously.
- Serve the white bean, parsley and garlic mash with fried white fish, spicy chorizo and grilled scallops.
Equipment and tools
To prepare a porridge from white beans, parsley and garlic, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A cutting board
- A sharp knife
- A can opener
- A medium sized pot
- A wooden spoon
- A blender or food processor (optional)
This white bean, parsley and garlic porridge recipe contains the following allergens:
- None if prepared as written
Please note that this information may vary depending on the brands and ingredients you use. Always check the labels of your ingredients to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover white bean, parsley and garlic mash, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When you’re ready to reheat, simply place the porridge in a saucepan and warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
To freeze the porridge for longer storage, allow it to cool completely and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or bag. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To defrost and reheat, simply thaw the porridge in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat on the stove or in the microwave until warmed through.
The Health Benefits of White Bean, Parsley and Garlic Porridge
White Bean, Parsley and Garlic Mash is not only a delicious and creamy side dish but also full of health benefits. This nutritious recipe combines the creaminess of cannellini beans, the freshness of parsley, and the rich flavors of garlic. Let’s explore the health benefits of each ingredient:
Cannellini beans are a type of white kidney beans that offer various health benefits:
- Rich in Protein: Cannellini beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein. Including them in your diet can promote muscle growth, repair tissues, and support overall body function.
- Rich in fiber: These beans are also rich in fiber, which aids digestion, promotes satiety, and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
- Packed with minerals: Cannellini beans are a good source of minerals such as potassium, iron, magnesium and zinc, which are necessary for maintaining healthy body functions.
- Less fat: These beans are low in fat and cholesterol, making them a heart-healthy choice.
Parsley, often used as a garnish, offers more than just visual appeal:
- Rich in antioxidants: Parsley contains various antioxidants, including flavonoids and carotenoids, which help protect against oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Useful nutrients: It is a good source of vitamins A, C and K as well as folic acid and iron.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Some compounds found in parsley may have anti-inflammatory effects, which can help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Supports digestion: Parsley is known for its digestive properties, including reducing bloating and improving overall digestion.
Garlic not only adds wonderful flavor, but also brings several health benefits:
- Strengthens immunity: Garlic is rich in compounds like allicin, which have antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties.
- Cardiovascular health: Studies suggest that garlic may help lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Antioxidant effect: Garlic contains antioxidants that can protect against cell damage caused by free radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory: Some studies suggest that the compounds found in garlic may help reduce inflammation in the body.
By combining these nutritious ingredients, white beans, parsley, and garlic mash not only tantalize your taste buds, but also provide important nutrients that support your overall health. Enjoy this tasty dish as a side dish or even as a main course for a hearty and healthy meal!