Savor the exquisite flavors of our Welsh Goats Cheese and Leek Tart, a delicious dish perfect for any occasion. This delicious recipe combines the rich creaminess of goat cheese with the delicate sweetness of leeks to create a culinary masterpiece. Please note that this recipe contains pork and is therefore intended for non-Muslims only. Whether you’re celebrating Day of David or just want to impress someone special, this cake is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Treat yourself and your loved ones to a piece of heaven with this irresistible treat.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large leeks, sliced
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 x 210g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp Dijon or whole grain mustard
- 2 slices of firm Welsh goat cheese, from a 100g piece (we used organic goat cheese from Pant-Ysgawn Farm)
You can freeze the tarts if you use fresh puff pastry, which is available in supermarket refrigerators.
Pre-frozen puff pastry should not be placed back in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Soak the leeks for 5 minutes.
- Add the bacon and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Season the mixture and transfer to a plate to cool.
- Roll out the dough.
- Cut two 12 x 18 cm rectangles from the dough.
- Save or freeze the remaining dough for later use.
- Place the dough rectangles on a baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, mark an edge inside each rectangle, about 1.5cm from the edge.
- Mix the crème fraîche and mustard in a bowl.
- Spread the crème fraîche-mustard mixture on the inside of the dough frames.
- Pour the leek and bacon mixture over the mustard mixture.
- Add the goat cheese to the leek and bacon mixture.
- Bake the tart in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.
- Serve the tart with a side of salad.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- rolling pin
- Sharp knife
- baking paper
- Pastry brush
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products – crème fraîche and Welsh goat cheese
- Gluten – puff pastry
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to save the tart for later, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the tart to cool completely before storing.
- Place the tart in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place the tart on a baking tray lined with baking paper and heat in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Do not freeze the finished tart, otherwise the consistency and quality could be affected.
Health Benefits of Welsh Goat Cheese and Leek Tart
If you want to enjoy a delicious yet healthy meal, the Welsh goat cheese and leek tart is a fantastic option. Not only is this cake bursting with flavor, but it also offers several health benefits that make it a great addition to your diet. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritious ingredients that make up this delicious dish.
1. Olive oil
The recipe starts with using olive oil, a staple of the Mediterranean diet. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart-healthy fats. Consuming olive oil in moderation could help reduce the risk of heart disease and improve overall cardiovascular health.
Leeks are a nutrient-rich vegetable that give the cake a special and delicious taste. They are a great source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps you feel fuller for longer. In addition, leeks are rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as minerals such as manganese and iron.
3. Baked bacon
Although bacon may not be considered the healthiest ingredient, using a small amount in moderation can still add flavor to a dish. However, due to the high sodium and saturated fat content, it is important to choose lean meats and consume them sparingly.
4. Puff pastry
Puff pastry is the base of the cake and ensures a light, flaky consistency. Although puff pastry is not particularly nutritious, in moderation it adds a delicious treat to the dish.
5. Creme fraîche
Crème fraîche, a type of sour cream, gives the cake a creaminess. It is a good source of calcium, essential for strong bones and teeth. However, due to the high fat content, it is advisable to opt for low-fat versions or to consume it in moderation.
6. Dijon or whole grain mustard
Mustard is a spice that not only enhances the flavor of the cake but also provides health benefits. It is low in calories and sodium while also being a good source of vitamins and minerals. In addition, mustard seeds contain antioxidants that are believed to have various health benefits, including anti-inflammatory effects.
7. Welsh goat cheese
The star of this cake is the Welsh goat cheese, more specifically the organic goat cheese from Pant-Ysgawn Farm. Goat cheese has lower fat and calories compared to cow cheese, making it a healthier choice. It is also a great source of protein and contains important nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D, which are necessary for bone health.
Overall, the Welsh goat cheese and leek tart is a delicious dish that offers a combination of flavors while providing essential nutrients for a balanced diet. By incorporating these ingredients into your cooking, you can create a delicious meal that is both filling and good for your health.