Introducing our delicious sugar dusted wedding cookies, a delicious twist on the popular Mexican wedding cookie. Made with an English touch, these cookies are made from buttery and crumbly shortcrust pastry and create an irresistible, melt-in-your-mouth experience. They are delicately dusted with a sweet layer of powdered sugar and add a touch of elegance to any occasion. With their delicious taste and exquisite presentation, these cookies are the perfect homemade wedding gifts to share your love in a truly personal way. Treat your guests to these enchanting treats and make your special day even more memorable.
- 250 g salted butter, softened
- 140g powdered sugar
- 1 egg, separated, plus 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g ground rice
- 300g plain flour
- 140g preserving sugar (or Demerara sugar)
If you like the labels in the picture, you can do that Print them here. Simply cut them out and fold each one in half along the dotted line. Staple to top of a small cellophane bag.Prepare your cookies
Prepare up to 2 months in advance if freezing, up to 4 days in advance if using immediately, and store in an airtight container. You can pack up to 4 days in advance if you use airtight packaging such as bags. If you’re worried about guests with allergies, it’s a good idea to list all ingredients on the label.Fine touches
All the packaging we used to present our gifts is easily available in stores. Visit the John Lewis haberdashery department for ribbons, twine, parcel labels and butterfly clips. Visit the Confetti stores or shop online at confetti.co.uk for all boxes, bags and lollipop buckets. Our biscuits are packaged in medium cellophane bags (45 x 85 x 220mm), £4.99 for 50 pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix butter, powdered sugar, three egg yolks and vanilla with a wooden spoon until creamy.
- Stir in the ground rice and flour – you may have to reach in with your hands at the end to mix all the dry ingredients.
- Roughly divide the mixture into 3 parts.
- Lay out three large sheets of baking paper and roll out a third of the dough on each into a long, thin sausage – about 2.5cm thick.
- Use the paper to roll it out as smoothly and evenly as possible.
- Beat the egg white lightly and brush it all over the dough.
- Sprinkle the preserving sugar on top and roll out so that the dough is completely covered.
- Wrap in paper and carefully place in the fridge for 30-40 minutes until firm.
- At this stage you can freeze well wrapped in cling film for up to 2 months.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each roll into about 20-30 small cookies.
- Spread on baking trays lined with baking paper – they will spread out a little and leave gaps.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until light golden.
- Allow to cool on the trays until the mixture is firm.
- Can also be frozen at this point for up to a month.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- baking sheets
- parchment paper
- cookie cutter
- Cooling rack
- Label printer (optional)
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Here are some tips for storing and preserving your sugar dusted wedding cookies:
- If you make these cookies in advance, you can freeze them for up to 2 months. Just place them in an airtight container before freezing.
- If you want to use the cookies immediately, you can store them in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- If you are wrapping the cookies as a gift, be sure to use airtight packaging such as bags and wrap them up to 4 days in advance.
- If you have guests with allergies, it’s a good idea to list all ingredients on the label for information.
For a finishing touch, you can print and cut labels to fold and staple to small cellophane bags.
Health Benefits of Sugar Dusted Wedding Cookies
Health Benefits of Sugar Dusted Wedding Cookies
Sugar-dusted wedding cookies not only look beautiful on the dessert table, but they also provide several health benefits. Made with healthy ingredients, these cookies will delight both your taste buds and your body. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritional value and health benefits of these delicious treats.
- Salted butter (250 g): Contains vitamins A, D and E as well as essential fatty acids.
- Caster sugar (140g): Provides quick energy and enhances the flavor of the cookies.
- Egg (1 separated, plus 2 yolks): Excellent source of proteins, vitamins and minerals.
- Vanilla Extract (2 tsp): Adds flavor without contributing many calories.
- Ground rice (100g): Gluten-free alternative to regular flour, suitable for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- Plain flour (300 g): Contains fiber, iron and B vitamins.
- Jam sugar or Demerara sugar (140 g): Provides a crunchy texture and natural sweetness.
Sugar-dusted wedding cookies offer several health benefits due to their nutrient-dense ingredients:
1. Energy boost
Powdered sugar and eggs are excellent sources of quick energy. Eating these cookies can provide a much-needed pick-me-up for the day.
2. Proteins and minerals
Eggs are packed with high-quality protein and essential minerals like iron, zinc and selenium. These nutrients play a crucial role in maintaining healthy muscles, bones and immune function.
3. Gluten free option
By using ground rice instead of regular flour, these cookies are a suitable choice for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease. You can continue to enjoy delicious treats without having to worry about gluten-related health problems.
4. Source of antioxidants
Vanilla extract contains natural antioxidants that protect your cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. The incorporation of vanilla into these cookies provides a touch of sweetness and a boost of antioxidants.
Plain flour contains fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and helps maintain satiety. Including these cookies in a balanced diet can contribute to your daily fiber intake.
6. Moderate sugar content
Although these cookies are coated with preserving sugar or Demerara sugar, they still have a moderate sugar content compared to other desserts. If you enjoy them in moderation, you can satisfy your sweet cravings without causing a spike in blood sugar levels.
In conclusion, sugar dusted wedding cookies not only taste delicious but also provide several health benefits. Their nutrient-rich ingredients make them healthier compared to other sugary treats. Enjoy these cookies as a special treat at weddings or other festive occasions while nourishing your body with their delicacies.