A clever and impressive dessert, the Fluted Chocolate Bomb is a real showstopper that will have everyone talking. This irresistible creation features layers of rich, velvety chocolate and a center full of delicious surprises. With a beautiful wavy design that’s sure to grab attention, this dessert is perfect for special occasions or when you want to impress your guests. The Bomb is expertly crafted to provide a perfect balance of flavors and textures, with every bite providing a heavenly experience. Enjoy the deliciousness of this elegant dessert and create an unforgettable moment that will leave everyone wanting more.
- 150 g bar of dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa content)
- 250 g butter, soft
- 225g golden powdered sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 100g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 142 ml carton of double cream
- 175 g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa), broken into pieces
- Candied fruit or candied orange strips to decorate
- Crème fraîche, for serving
Good food know-how
We made the bomb in a 1.7
Litre/3 pint stainless steel blend
Bowl to get the shape shown
in the picture. Unless
First, you can use an oven safe oven
Pudding basin of the same
Capacity – the cake should stay standing
The cooking time is 11-2 hours.Go on
If you are making this for a dinner
Party, bake the sponge cake on the day
Let it cool beforehand, then wrap it up
Wrap in cling film and store airtight
Container. You can add the chocolate
Cream and fruit for up to 6 hours
before serving, as long as you
Store the bomb in a cool place,
but not in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas 3/fan 140°C. Grease a 1.7 liter stainless steel mixing bowl and line the bottom (approx. 9cm) with a circle of baking paper.
- Break the chocolate into pieces in a heatproof bowl. Add 25g butter and place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water until the chocolate is melted (or melt it in the microwave). Stir until everything is smooth.
- Put the remaining butter in a separate bowl with the sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and 85 g almonds. Mix for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Place 350g of this mixture in another bowl and stir in the cocoa powder and milk. Stir the remaining almonds and vanilla extract into the remaining cake mixture.
- Spread some of the vanilla mixture on the bottom of the bowl. Add a spoonful of the cocoa mixture and then some chocolate sauce on top. Be careful not to get the chocolate sauce near the edge of the bowl or it will burn during baking. Continue alternating the three mixtures in the bowl, adding large spoonfuls at random and spreading lightly to mix the colors. Level the surface, then swirl a skewer or the tip of a teaspoon through the mixture two or three times to evenly distribute the colors. Don’t mix too much or the colors will lose their definition.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes, until the cake has risen and the top feels firm. To check if the cake is done, pierce the light part of the cake with a skewer – it should come out clean. Allow to cool in the bowl, then loosen the edges and turn the cake out onto a flat serving plate.
- Make the chocolate cream. Heat the cream in a small, heavy-based saucepan until hot and bubbling around the edges. Add the chocolate pieces and remove from the heat, stirring gently. Pour into a bowl and let stand until the chocolate has melted. Chill for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture just holds its shape when whipped.
- Using a spatula, spread the chocolate cream over the top and sides of the cake. Slice the candied fruit and use it as a decoration for the top of the cake. Store in a cool place (not the refrigerator) until ready to serve.
- This is a luxurious dessert. So serve thin slices with a dollop of crème fraîche to underline the richness.
Equipment and tools
To make the Rippled Chocolate Bomb you will need the following equipment and tools:
- 1.7 liter/3 pint stainless steel mixing bowl or ovenproof pudding bowl
- mixing bowls
- cling film
- Airtight container
The Rippled Chocolate Bombe recipe contains the following allergens:
- Chocolate (may contain milk, soy lecithin)
- Butter (contains milk)
- Cream (contains milk)
- Candied fruits (may contain sulfites)
- Crème fraîche (contains milk)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or would like to make the Rippled Chocolate Bomb in advance, please follow these storage instructions:
1. Once the sponge has cooled, wrap it in cling film.
2. Place the packaged sponge in an airtight container.
3. Store the bomb in a cool place, but not in the refrigerator.
Note: You can prepare the chocolate cream and fruit up to 6 hours before serving, as long as you keep the bomb in a cool place.
The Health Benefits of Rippled Chocolate Bomb
Who said delicious desserts can’t be good for you? The Rippled Chocolate Bomb is not only a tasty treat but also full of health benefits. Let’s delve into the ingredients and discover the nutritional properties they give to this delicious dessert.
1. Dark chocolate
The main ingredient in this recipe is dark chocolate, which contains at least 70% cocoa. Dark chocolate is known for its high antioxidant content, particularly flavonoids. These antioxidants help fight free radicals and reduce inflammation in the body. In addition, dark chocolate also has a positive effect on cardiovascular health as it can lower blood pressure and improve blood circulation.
2. Ground almonds
Ground almonds give the bomb a delicious nutty flavor while providing several health benefits. Almonds are an excellent source of healthy fats, fiber and protein. They are also rich in vitamin E, magnesium and potassium, important nutrients for maintaining heart health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes.
3. Cocoa powder
The addition of cocoa powder enhances the chocolaty taste of the bomb. Similar to dark chocolate, cocoa powder contains a high proportion of antioxidants. It also contains minerals such as iron, magnesium and zinc, which are crucial for maintaining a healthy immune system and improving overall well-being.
4. Creme fraîche
Although crème fraîche is not as nutritious as some other ingredients, it adds a creamy and decadent touch to the dessert. Crème fraîche is a good source of calcium, which is essential for maintaining healthy bones and teeth. In addition, it contains a small amount of probiotics, beneficial bacteria that support intestinal health.
Although the Rippled Chocolate Bomb is a rich and delicious dessert, it is clear that it contains several ingredients that offer some health benefits. However, remember to consume this treat in moderation and as part of a balanced diet. Enjoy every bite without feeling guilty!