Treat yourself to the perfect mix of sweet and savory with our delicious Watermelon Feta Salad. This delicious dish is bursting with flavors that will tantalize your taste buds and refresh your palate on hot summer nights. The juicy watermelon pieces paired with creamy feta cheese create a harmonious contrast that leaves you wanting more. Topped with crispy and crunchy crispbread, each bite offers a satisfying texture that complements the refreshing ingredients. Treat yourself to this light and healthy salad, perfect for enjoying outdoors on warm evenings.
- ½ watermelon (approx. 1½ kg), peeled, seeded and cut into pieces
- 200 g block feta cheese, diced
- large handful of black olives
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley and mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely sliced into rings
- Olive oil and balsamic vinegar for serving
- ½ 500g pack of white bread mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus a little oil for drizzling
- Flour for dusting
- 1 egg white, beaten
- a mixture of sesame, poppy seeds and fennel seeds for sprinkling
Shrimp with watermelon, lime and ginger
Mix 250 g cooked tiger prawns
with pieces of half a watermelon
(approximately a 1kg piece), a handful of coriander
leaves, the juice of 1 lime, 1 tbsp fine
grated fresh ginger root and ½ red
Chilli, deseeded and sliced.
- Prepare the bread according to the package instructions with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Knock back the bread and divide into 6 pieces.
- Roll out the bread as thinly as possible on a floured work surface.
- Transfer the loaves to baking sheets.
- Brush the bread with the egg white.
- Sprinkle the mixed seeds over the loaves.
- Bake until crispy and brown, about 15 minutes.
- If the bread rises, even better.
- You may need to do this in batches.
- The breads can be made the day before and stored in an airtight container.
- In a large serving bowl, lightly toss the melon with the feta and olives.
- Scatter herbs and onion rings on top.
- Serve with olive oil and balsamic for drizzling.
- Place the stack of crispbreads next to it to break up and use for scooping out the salad.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Feta cheese
- Black olives
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. The crispbread may lose its crunch, so it is best to separate it from the salad before storing. You can enjoy the salad cold or bring it to room temperature before serving.
Health Benefits of Watermelon Feta Salad with Crispbread
Watermelon Feta Salad with Crispbread is not only a refreshing and delicious dish but also offers several health benefits. This combination of sweet watermelon, creamy feta cheese and crispbread offers a unique blend of flavors and nutrients that contribute to a balanced diet.
1. Hydration and electrolyte balance
Since watermelon is mostly water, it will keep you hydrated throughout the day. Adequate hydration is crucial for maintaining body functions and regulating body temperature. Additionally, watermelon contains electrolytes such as potassium, which help maintain fluid balance and support proper muscle and nerve function.
2. Rich in antioxidants
Watermelon is an excellent source of antioxidants such as vitamin C and lycopene. Antioxidants protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can lead to chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers. Lycopene, in particular, has been linked to a reduced risk of prostate cancer.
3. Nutrient rich
Feta cheese adds a dose of nutrition to this salad. It is a good source of protein, calcium and phosphorus. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, while calcium and phosphorus are essential for strong bones and teeth.
4. Digestive health
The use of black olives, parsley, mint leaves and red onions in this salad provides beneficial fiber. Fiber promotes regular bowel movements, helps maintain intestinal health and supports the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria. In addition, mint leaves are traditionally used to support digestion and relieve indigestion.
5. Weight management
Watermelon is a low-calorie fruit that may have positive effects on weight management. It has a high water content, which makes you feel full with fewer calories. Additionally, the fiber in this salad contributes to satiety, prevents overeating, and promotes healthy weight management.
Benefits of Shrimp with Watermelon, Lime and Ginger
Watermelon is not only suitable for salads, but can also be combined with other ingredients such as shrimp, lime and ginger. This combination offers the following health benefits:
6. High protein content
Shrimp are an excellent source of lean protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. Protein also helps you feel full and satisfied, reducing the risk of overeating.
7. Vitamin C boost
Both watermelon and lime are rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that supports immune function and supports collagen production, promoting healthy skin and tissue repair.
8. Anti-inflammatory properties
Ginger and chili in this dish contain anti-inflammatory compounds that can help reduce inflammation in the body and relieve the symptoms of certain conditions such as arthritis or muscle pain.
Overall, incorporating watermelon into your meals provides a number of health benefits including hydration, antioxidant protection, nutrient absorption, digestive health, and weight control. So try this delicious watermelon feta salad with crispbread or explore different combinations like shrimp, lime and ginger for a refreshing and nutritious experience.