Take your weekend at home to the next level with this delicious Watercress Soup with Blue Cheese and Cashew Pastry recipe. This ready-to-eat lunch or light appetizer is perfect for anyone looking for a relaxed cooking experience. The refreshing taste of watercress combined with the creamy richness of blue cheese will tantalize your taste buds. And the crunchy cashew pastry adds a delicious texture to this already delicious dish. Enjoy a relaxing weekend and indulge in this recipe that is sure to impress!
- 1 sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry, thawed (half a 425g pack)
- Milk, for glazing
- 50g Danish blue cheese, crumbled
- 50g cashew nuts, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 25g butter
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 450 ml milk
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 2 x 85g bags of watercress
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas mark 7 and grease 2 large baking trays.
- Roll up the dough and brush with milk.
- Sprinkle half of the dough with cheese and cashews.
- Fold the dough so that the nut mixture is in between and press firmly.
- Cut the dough into 16-18 thin strips along the longest length.
- Twist each strip a little and place them slightly apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake the pastry for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Immediately after removing the pastry, lift it onto a cooling rack to prevent sticking.
- The pastries can be stored in a tin for up to a week. To reheat, place them back in the oven for a few minutes.
- For the soup, fry the onion in butter in a large pan for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the potato to the pan.
- Pour in milk and broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat.
- Season the soup and simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
- Place the watercress in a blender or large food processor.
- Pour the hot potato mixture over the watercress.
- Blend the mixture until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan to reheat.
- Serve each portion of soup in small bowls or cups.
- Serve each portion of soup with 2 pieces of pastry.
- You can enjoy the remaining pastries with drinks on another occasion.
Equipment and tools
To make this watercress soup with blue cheese and cashew pastry, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking tray
- Pastry brush
- cutting board
- Blender or food processor
This watercress soup with blue cheese and cashew pastry may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (from Danish blue cheese and milk)
- Nuts (from cashews)
Please be sure to check the specific ingredients and labels of the products used to ensure they are appropriate for your nutritional needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to make this watercress soup and pastry in advance, here are some storage and reheating instructions:
- The watercress soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- The pastry is best served fresh, but if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- To reheat the soup, gently heat it in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
Enjoy the delicious flavors of this watercress soup with blue cheese and cashew pastry!
Health Benefits of Watercress Soup with Blue Cheese and Cashew Pastries
Watercress, a leafy green vegetable, is the main ingredient in this delicious soup recipe. When combined with blue cheese and cashews, it not only creates a unique and flavorful dish but also offers a number of health benefits. Let’s examine the nutritional value of these ingredients and how they can contribute to a nutritious meal.
Rich in vitamins A, C and K, watercress is a nutrient-dense green that offers many health benefits. Its high vitamin C content supports the immune system and collagen production, promoting healthy skin and cell repair. In addition, vitamin A contributes to good vision and proper immune system function, while vitamin K supports blood clotting and bone health.
The Danish blue cheese used in this recipe gives the soup a tangy and creamy flavor. Although it is known for its bold flavor, blue cheese also offers nutritional benefits. It is a source of protein, calcium and vitamin B12. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, while calcium ensures strong bones and teeth. Vitamin B12 is important for the formation of red blood cells and the maintenance of the nervous system.
Not only are cashews a delicious addition to this pastry; They also offer several health benefits. These nuts are a good source of healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats, which promote heart health. They are also rich in minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus and zinc, which play an important role in maintaining bone strength, energy production and immune function.
Onion and potato
The soup base consists of finely chopped onions and diced potatoes, which not only add to the taste but also increase the nutritional value. Onions are low in calories and packed with antioxidants that fight inflammation and protect against chronic disease. Potatoes, on the other hand, provide carbohydrates, fiber and vitamin C and serve as a filling and nutritious ingredient.
milk and chicken broth
The combination of milk and chicken broth creates a creamy and flavorful base for the soup. Milk is a good source of calcium and vitamin D, which together ensure strong bones and teeth. Chicken broth adds depth to the dish and is an excellent source of protein, further improving the nutritional profile of the dish.
By combining watercress, blue cheese, cashews, onions, potatoes, milk and chicken broth, this recipe provides a well-rounded meal with a range of health benefits. From immune-boosting vitamins to bone-strengthening minerals, this soup packs both deliciousness and nutritional value with its tasty pastry.