This French-Style Main Course Salad with Roasted New Potatoes makes a fantastic lunch. The warm new potato salad is enriched with the irresistible combination of crispy bacon and tangy blue cheese. Each forkful is bursting with flavors that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Please note that this recipe contains pork and is intended for non-Muslims only. Whether you’re looking for a filling meal or a delicious side dish, this warm potato salad is sure to impress and satisfy your appetite.
- 500g salad potatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- 4 slices of smoked bacon, cleaned and cut into large pieces
- 140g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100g bag of mixed watercress and spinach salad
- 85g creamy blue cheese (we used St. Agur)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Place the potatoes in a roasting pan and rub them with 1 tablespoon of oil and a pinch of salt.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Put the onion wedges in the mold.
- Shake everything well.
- Roast for another 20 minutes, until the potatoes have turned a deep golden brown and the onions are caramelized and soft.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan.
- Dry fry the bacon until crispy.
- Add the sliced mushrooms.
- Fry for another 5 minutes until soft.
- In the meantime prepare the dressing.
- Mix mustard, vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil with a splash of water.
- Place the potatoes, onions, bacon and mushrooms in a large bowl with the lettuce leaves.
- Pour the dressing over it.
- Mix well.
- Divide between 4 plates.
- Sprinkle the blue cheese on top.
Equipment and tools
To make this warm new potato salad with bacon and blue cheese, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- frying pan
This warm new potato salad with bacon and blue cheese contains the following allergens:
- Creamy blue cheese (St. Agur)
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers from this Warm New Bacon and Blue Cheese Potato Salad, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, simply place in the microwave or gently heat in a pot until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Warm New Potato Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese
When we think of salads, we often think of light, refreshing dishes that are perfect for summer. However, this warm new potato salad with bacon and blue cheese adds a comforting twist to a classic salad. Not only does it taste delicious, but it also offers a number of health benefits.
1. Nutrient-rich potatoes
The main ingredient of this salad is the simple potato. Potatoes are an excellent source of essential nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium and vitamin B6. Vitamin C is essential for a healthy immune system and can help protect against chronic diseases. Potassium plays an important role in regulating blood pressure, while vitamin B6 is important for brain development and function.
2. Olive oil for heart health
Using olive oil in this recipe offers a healthier alternative to traditional salad dressings. Olive oil is known for its heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which may help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. In addition, the antioxidants contained in olive oil have anti-inflammatory properties and can protect against oxidative stress.
3. Protein-rich bacon
Although bacon is often criticized for its high saturated fat and sodium content, it can still be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. In this recipe, the bacon provides a savory flavor and a boost of protein. Protein is crucial for building and repairing tissue and plays a role in various body functions.
4. The immune-boosting power of mushrooms
Mushrooms are not only delicious but also offer several health benefits. They are a rich source of essential nutrients such as B vitamins, copper and selenium. Selenium in particular is known for its immune-boosting properties and can help protect against infections. Additionally, mushrooms are low in calories and can be a great addition to a weight loss or weight management diet.
5. Mustard and red wine vinegar
This recipe’s dressing uses whole grain mustard and red wine vinegar, both of which offer unique health benefits. Mustard contains antioxidants called glucosinolates, which are linked to cancer prevention. Red wine vinegar, on the other hand, can help stabilize blood sugar levels and improve digestion.
6. Leafy greens for a nutritional boost
The addition of mixed watercress and spinach salad provides an extra portion of vitamins and minerals. Leafy greens are low in calories but rich in nutrients such as vitamin K, vitamin A, folic acid and iron. They also contain beneficial plant compounds that can have anti-inflammatory effects.
7. Creamy blue cheese
The creamy blue cheese used in this recipe adds a luxurious and indulgent touch. While cheese should be consumed in moderation due to its high calorie and fat content, blue cheese offers some health benefits. It is a good source of calcium, important for strong bones and teeth, and also provides protein and vitamin B12.
In summary, this warm new potato salad with bacon and blue cheese not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. From the nutrient-rich potatoes to the heart-healthy olive oil to the immune-boosting mushrooms, each ingredient contributes to a well-rounded meal. Enjoy this aromatic salad while benefiting from its nutritional value.