Introducing our Warm Chickpea, Fennel and Pepper Salad, an explosion of vibrant flavors that will amaze your taste buds. This versatile salad can be enjoyed piping hot, gently releasing its aromatic essence, or perfectly chilled, making it a refreshing addition to any spread.
- 2 large red peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into small cubes
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut into small cubes
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 2 x 410g cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- 20g packet (or a large handful) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Prepare the salad up to 12 hours in advance. take it
Remove from the refrigerator at least 2 hours before serving
- To make the dressing, pour the vinegar into a small jug, season with salt and pepper and then stir in the oil. Put aside.
- Place the peppers over 1 or 2 gas burners (or place them under a hot grill) and blacken them, turning them constantly to expose the red skin to the naked heat. When they are completely charred, place them in a plastic bag and let them sit for 10 minutes. Scrape off the blistered skin, remove the seeds and cut the flesh into medium-sized cubes. Put aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add the onion and shallot. Fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, fennel, rosemary and bay leaf. Fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, without allowing the vegetables to change color.
- Pour 200ml boiling water into a heatproof measuring cup and whisk in the bouillon powder. Pour into the pan, add the chickpeas and stir. Let it bubble vigorously for about 5 minutes or until the juice has almost disappeared. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Scrape the contents of the skillet into a large mixing bowl, then add the peppers, lemon zest, and parsley. Add the dressing and mix gently but thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large frying pan
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- grater (for lemon peel)
- Measure teaspoon
- measuring spoon
This warm chickpea, fennel and pepper salad contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to make the salad in advance, here are some tips:
How to store leftovers:
- Allow the salad to cool completely.
- Transfer the salad to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to prepare the salad:
- Prepare the salad up to 12 hours in advance.
- Store it in the refrigerator.
- Remove from the refrigerator at least 2 hours before serving to allow it to come to room temperature.
Note: After refrigeration, the flavors can develop and intensify, so it may taste even better the next day!
Health Benefits of Warm Chickpea, Fennel and Pepper Salad
Warm Chickpea, Fennel and Pepper Salad not only provides a delicious explosion of flavor and texture, but also offers a range of health benefits. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, this salad is a great addition to a balanced diet.
Red bell pepper, the star of this recipe, is rich in essential vitamins and minerals. They are particularly rich in vitamin C, which is known to boost the immune system and promote skin health. Red peppers also contain vitamin A, vitamin B6 and folic acid, which are important for a healthy metabolism and general well-being.
Olive oil is a key ingredient in this salad and provides a healthy source of monounsaturated fats. These fats have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease and improved blood sugar control. Olive oil is also rich in antioxidants, which help fight inflammation and protect the body from chronic diseases.
Fennel gives this salad a unique flavor and texture. It is a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. Fennel is also rich in vitamin C, potassium and antioxidants, which contribute to a strong immune system and can reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a nutritional powerhouse. They are an excellent source of plant-based protein, making them a great option for vegetarians and vegans. Chickpeas are also rich in fiber, which supports digestive health and helps regulate blood sugar levels. They also provide important minerals such as iron, magnesium and zinc.
The zest of a lemon gives this salad a refreshing citrus flavor. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which can boost the immune system and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. They also contain compounds that can aid digestion and promote healthy skin.
The addition of parsley not only enhances the taste of this salad, but also brings various health benefits. Parsley is a good source of vitamins A, C and K as well as folic acid and potassium. It is also rich in antioxidants, which support overall health and may have anti-inflammatory properties.
Red wine vinegar
The red wine vinegar used in the dressing provides a spicy and sour taste. It is known to provide certain health benefits, including potential improvements in blood sugar control and heart health. However, due to its acidic nature, it should be consumed in moderation.
Extra virgin olive oil
The extra virgin olive oil used in the dressing offers other health benefits in addition to its delicious taste. Extra virgin olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, which are linked to reduced risk of chronic diseases and improved cardiovascular health.
By incorporating this warm chickpea, fennel and pepper salad into your diet, you can enjoy a dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also contributes to your overall well-being. The combination of nutrient-dense ingredients offers numerous health benefits and makes for a truly filling meal.