A delicious, super healthy and zesty recipe for light, sunshine flavored chicken salad. This Warm Lemon Thyme Chicken Salad is a refreshing combination of grilled chicken, tangy lemon, and fragrant thyme. The juicy chicken pairs perfectly with the fresh greens to create a filling and nutritious meal. The zesty flavors of lemon and thyme add a touch of brightness to every bite, making it the perfect choice for a light lunch or dinner. This easy-to-prepare salad is not only full of flavor but also full of nutrients, making it the ideal choice for anyone looking for a healthy and delicious option.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried or a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp oil
- 150g bag of mixed lettuce leaves or 2 heads of Little Gem, torn apart
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- a splash of garlic paste or 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- a handful of pitted black olives, halved
Make it without cooking
Pull out 4 cooked chicken breasts (or one whole).
Cut the roast chicken) into bite-sized pieces and mix
with the olives, lettuce leaves and onions. Whisk
together lemon zest and juice, thyme, oil
and garlic paste. Season and drizzle over.
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl.
- Add lemon zest, thyme, plenty of black pepper and salt to taste.
- Mix well with your hands.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Roast the chicken for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Spread the leaves and onions on a large platter or in a large salad bowl.
- Add garlic paste and olives to the pan.
- Fry for 1 more minute.
- Place chicken and olives on the leaves.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add remaining oil and lemon juice.
- Mix well and scrape up any residue from the bottom of the pan.
- Check the seasonings.
- Pour over the chicken and salad.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- This recipe contains chicken and olives, which may not be suitable for those with poultry or olive allergies.
- It also contains garlic, which may not be suitable for those with garlic allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently warm the chicken salad in a skillet over low heat or in the microwave until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Warm Lemon Thyme Chicken Salad
The warm chicken salad with lemon and thyme is not only delicious, but also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a look at some of the key ingredients and the benefits they offer:
The boneless, skinless chicken breasts used in this recipe are a lean source of protein. Protein is essential for repairing and building tissue, supporting muscle growth, and boosting metabolism. It also helps promote satiety, which has a positive effect on weight control. Chicken breast is low in fat and calories, making it healthier compared to other chicken cuts.
In addition to being refreshing, lemons are rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that protects the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Vitamin C also supports collagen production, promotes healthy skin and supports the immune system. In addition, lemons are known to have antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
Thyme is an herb that gives chicken salad a unique flavor profile. It contains several bioactive compounds, including thymol, which have antioxidant properties. Thyme also has an anti-inflammatory effect and is said to improve respiratory health.
The salad contains a drizzle of oil and black olives, both sources of healthy fats. These fats are crucial for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and provide energy for the body. They also contribute to the feeling of satiety, help curb food cravings and thus promote weight control.
The mixed lettuce leaves or Little Gem used in this recipe are packed with essential vitamins, minerals and fiber. They offer a range of health benefits including improved digestion, heart health and weight control. Dark leafy vegetables, such as those found in salads, are known for their high nutrient content and potential anti-cancer properties.
Red onions not only give chicken salad a special flavor, but also provide additional health benefits. They contain quercetin, a powerful antioxidant that may have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects. Red onions are also a good source of fiber and contain various vitamins and minerals.
By incorporating these nutritious ingredients into Warm Lemon Thyme Chicken Salad, you can enjoy a delicious meal while treating your body to a range of health benefits. So treat yourself to this tasty and healthy dish!