Add some crunch to your roast chicken with this flavorful winter salad. The combination of tender, juicy chicken and crunchy, bitter chicory creates an enticing textural contrast. The earthy flavor of fried chicken perfectly complements the vibrant flavors of fresh vegetables and tangy dressing. This salad is the ideal dish to warm you up on a chilly evening while satisfying your taste buds. Packed with vitamins and nutrients, it’s a way to enjoy a delicious yet healthy meal without the guilt. So try this warm chicken and chicory salad and add a touch of flavor to your winter dining experience.
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 200 ml sherry vinegar, plus 1 tbsp
- 200g frozen peas
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp powdered sugar
- 50g raisins
- 15g pack of dill, coarsely chopped
- 3 heads chicory, green, red or a mixture
- 50 g mixed leaf lettuce (we used a rocket-chard mixture)
- 100g pine nuts, roasted
- crusty bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Rub the chicken all over with butter and season well inside and out.
- Place it in a small roasting tin, pour the sherry vinegar over it and cover with foil.
- Roast for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare all remaining ingredients.
- Cook the peas until just tender, 1 minute.
- Drain well, dip in cold water to cool quickly, then drain again and set aside.
- Once your chicken has roasted for two hours, remove it from the oven.
- Pour the juice into a jug then increase the oven temperature to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Roast for another 20-30 minutes (without foil) until golden brown.
- Skim the fat from the juice and then cook until about 100ml of juice remains.
- Add an additional tablespoon of vinegar, olive oil and powdered sugar, season to taste and then transfer to the serving platter with the raisins.
- When the chicken is finished with the second roast, leave it cool enough to handle (or put on a pair of clean rubber gloves).
- Tear the meat from the carcass into large pieces and place on the serving platter.
- Add dill, chicory, lettuce leaves, pine nuts and peas.
- Mix with your hands.
- Serve immediately with some crusty bread.
Equipment and tools
Here are the equipment and tools you’ll need to make this warm chicken and chicory salad:
- Large frying pan
- cutting board
- Small bowl
- frying pan
- Large mixing bowl
- salad servers
This warm chicken and chicory salad recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Nuts (pine nuts)
- Wheat (crusty bread)
- Dairy products (butter)
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers from this warm chicken and chicory salad, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
When you’re ready to eat, you can enjoy the leftovers cold or gently reheat them in the microwave or oven.
Health Benefits of Warm Chicken and Chicory Salad
When it comes to healthy and delicious meals, the warm chicken and chicory salad is a great choice. Packed with healthy ingredients and full of flavors, this salad will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide a range of health benefits.
1. Lean protein
The star of this dish is the whole chicken, which serves as an excellent source of lean protein. Protein is essential for repairing and building tissue in the body. It also helps control weight by promoting satiety, which can curb overeating.
2. Heart-healthy fats
The warm chicken and chicory salad contains useful fats from butter and olive oil. While it’s important to consume fats in moderation, the unsaturated fats found in these ingredients can promote heart health. They help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
3. Nutrient-rich vegetables
This salad contains chicory, a nutrient-dense vegetable that offers numerous health benefits. Chicory is a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A and fiber. It also contains antioxidants that help protect cells from free radical damage.
4. Fiber and antioxidants
The addition of frozen peas, raisins and mixed lettuce leaves gives this dish an extra boost of fiber and antioxidants. Fiber supports digestion, promotes satiety and helps regulate blood sugar levels. Antioxidants, on the other hand, help fight inflammation and protect against chronic diseases.
5. Vital nutrients
The warm chicken and chicory salad also contains dill and pine nuts. Dill is rich in vitamins A and C as well as minerals such as iron and calcium. Pine nuts, meanwhile, provide important nutrients such as magnesium, vitamin E and zinc.
With its combination of lean protein, heart-healthy fats, nutrient-dense vegetables, fiber, antioxidants, and vital nutrients, Warm Chicken and Chicory Salad is not only a treat for your taste buds, but also a fantastic choice for your overall health and well-being.