Introducing our delicious walnut, date and honey cake! Enjoy a delicious tea treat that perfectly combines the rich flavors of crunchy walnuts, delicious dates and the irresistible sweetness of honey. Not only is this delicious cake delicious, but it also offers a wonderful solution to those overripe bananas hanging around your kitchen. Transforming them into a succulent and naturally sweet addition, this recipe is guaranteed to please both your taste buds and your desire to reduce waste. So why not go on a delicious journey of taste and make every tea moment something very special?
- 225g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 175g soft butter
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 medium-sized, ripe bananas, about 250g total weight in the peel
- 100g pitted dates
- 50g pack of walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas 3/fan 140°C.
- Line the bottom and long sides of a 900g loaf tin with baking paper and butter the tin and paper.
- Place the flour, cinnamon, butter, sugar, 2 tablespoons honey and the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the bananas and chop the dates (this is best done with kitchen scissors) and add them to the bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon or hand mixer, beat the mixture until well combined, 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the lid.
- Scatter the walnut pieces over the dough.
- Bake for 1 hour, then press lightly on the top – it will feel firm once cooked. If not, bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes and then use the paper to lift it out of the tin.
- When the cake is completely cool, drizzle the remaining honey over the top.
- To serve, cut the cake into thick slices.
Equipment and tools
- Measurement scales
- mixing bowl
- Electric hand mixer or wooden spoon
- 23cm/9 inch round cake tin
- baking paper
- Cooling rack
- saw knife
This walnut, date and honey cake contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from self-raising flour)
- Dairy products (from butter)
Note: If you or your guests have any allergies or dietary restrictions, please check the ingredient list and substitute any required ingredients accordingly.
Storage and leftovers
Store the walnut date honey cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To enjoy leftover slices, simply heat them in the microwave for a few seconds or pop them in a toaster until warmed through. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Health Benefits of Walnut, Date and Honey Cakes
Health Benefits of Walnut, Date and Honey Cakes
Enjoying a delicious dessert does not always have to be harmful to your health. The Walnut, Date and Honey Cake is a delicious treat that not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers several health benefits. This article explores the nutritional benefits of this cake’s main ingredients – walnuts, dates and honey.
Walnuts are not only a delicious addition to this cake, but also a nutritional powerhouse. These nuts are rich in heart-healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids. Consuming walnuts can help improve cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. They also contain antioxidants that fight oxidative stress and inflammation in the body.
Dates not only add natural sweetness to this cake, but they also provide a number of health benefits. These small fruits are an excellent source of fiber, which promotes digestive health and helps maintain regular bowel movements. Dates also contain important vitamins and minerals, including potassium, magnesium and iron. These nutrients support overall health and contribute to energy production in the body.
Honey acts as a natural sweetener in this cake while providing health benefits. It is known for its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, which can help soothe a sore throat and ease cough symptoms. Honey also contains antioxidants that support immune function and may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Additionally, honey has a lower glycemic index compared to refined sugar, making it a better option for people with diabetes or people who want to control their blood sugar levels.
To sum up, the walnut date honey cake not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. From the heart-healthy fats in walnuts to the fiber-rich dates to the antibacterial properties of honey, every ingredient contributes to the nutritional value of this delicious dessert. So treat yourself to a piece of this cake without feeling guilty, knowing that you are doing something good for yourself and nourishing your body at the same time.