Treat yourself to the ultimate culinary adventure with our delicious Volcano Cake recipe. This breathtaking treat is guaranteed to captivate children with its sensational eruption effect. Crafted with love and passion, this towering dessert is lavishly decorated with an exquisite blend of luscious chocolate and an array of delectable sweets, resulting in a patisserie masterpiece that will make your taste buds dance. Get ready to witness the impressive volcanic eruption and let the explosion of flavors transport you to a world of pure joy. Let your creativity run wild and embark on a baking journey like no other!
- 300g butter, very soft
- 350g powdered sugar
- 6 eggs
- 300g self-raising flour
- 2 Table spoons of milk
- red paste food coloring
- 100g apricot glaze or sifted apricot jam, warmed
- 500g marzipan
- 200g dark chocolate
- About 250g of assorted chocolate honeycomb pieces, chocolate raisins, Maltesers, caramel popcorn etc. as well as plastic dinosaurs, cake sparklers or fountains etc. for decorating
Make lava molds
The lava molds are best prepared and used on the day of serving as they become slightly sticky after a while.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease and line an 18cm round cake tin, an 800-900ml ovenproof bowl (Pyrex) and a 1.2 liter ovenproof bowl.
- Put butter, 300 g sugar, eggs, flour and milk in a large bowl and mix well until a light, creamy mixture is formed.
- Spread almost half of the mixture in the cake tin.
- Place a little less than half of the remaining mixture in a bowl and color it deep red with food coloring.
- Add 3-4 small spoonfuls of red cake mix to the mixture in the cake tin.
- Using the handle of a teaspoon, steep the red mixture to create a marbled effect.
- Spoon the remaining plain and red cake mix randomly into the two prepared bowls.
- Use the teaspoon handle again to create a marbled effect.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes for the small dish, about 35 minutes for the medium and 50-60 minutes for the cake pan.
- The mixture is done when it feels firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When the cakes are cold, trim off any tips that may have formed.
- Place the round cake on a large cake board.
- Cut three small V shapes around the edge of the cake to create an uneven shape for the volcano base.
- Spread some apricot glaze all over the cake and place the larger bowl cake on top, rounded side up.
- Spread with apricot glaze and place the remaining cake on top, rounded side up.
- Cut a small indentation into the top of this cake (to represent the “mouth” of the volcano) and then brush the cake with apricot icing.
- Roll out the marzipan into a large circle to cover the cake.
- It can be quite rough in shape.
- Lift it onto the cake and drape it randomly in the nooks and crannies, creating a volcano shape.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of hot water.
- Using a pastry brush, paint the volcano with chocolate.
- Attach chocolate chips, popcorn, etc. with melted chocolate.
- Add the dinosaurs.
- Drizzle the remaining chocolate randomly over the volcano.
- For the lava, place the remaining 50 g sugar in a small non-stick frying pan.
- Heat gently, without stirring, until the sugar is melted but still clear.
- Lightly oil a metal baking tray.
- When the sugar just turns light brown on the edges, remove from the heat and carefully stir in some red paste food coloring.
- Using a teaspoon, drizzle lava shapes onto the prepared tray.
- Allow to cool completely.
- When it’s cold, carefully lift the lava shapes and place them on top of the volcano.
- For an added effect, use birthday candles, cake sparklers or cake fountains.
Equipment and tools
To bake the volcano cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowls
- Electric mixer or hand mixer
- wooden spoon
- Round cake tin (20 cm diameter)
- baking paper
- Wire frame
- Spatula or spatula
- Small pot
- Pastry brush
- rolling pin
- plastic wrap
- Sharp knife
- Decoration tools (e.g. piping bags, piping tips, etc.)
The volcano cake recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, milk, chocolate)
- Gluten (self-raising flour)
- Tree nuts (marzipan)
Please exercise caution if you or your guests are allergic to any of these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
To store the volcano cake, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap or store in an airtight container.
- Store the cake at room temperature for up to 3 days.
If you have leftovers, you can store the cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Allow the cake to come to room temperature before serving.
The Health Benefits of Volcano Cake
While enjoying dessert is often viewed as a guilty pleasure, there are times when a sweet treat can also provide health benefits. Volcano cake, with its delicious combination of flavors and textures, can actually provide some unexpected benefits for your well-being. Let’s explore the potential health benefits of this delicious dessert.
1. Energy boost
The main ingredients of volcano cake, such as butter, eggs and flour, are rich in carbohydrates – the body’s main source of energy. Eating a piece of volcano cake can give you an instant energy boost, making it a perfect treat before physical activity or after a long day at work.
2. Mood enhancer
It’s no secret that enjoying a delicious dessert can instantly lift your mood. Volcano cake’s combination of sweet flavors and gooey textures can stimulate the release of endorphins, known as “feel-good hormones.” These natural chemicals in the brain can help elevate your mood and promote feelings of happiness and relaxation.
3. Antioxidant-rich ingredients
Some ingredients in volcano cake, such as dark chocolate, apricot icing and marzipan, contain high levels of antioxidants. Antioxidants are compounds that help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, reducing the risk of chronic disease and promoting overall health. Eating volcano cake in moderation can contribute to your antioxidant intake.
4. Creativity and stress relief
Volcano Cake offers a unique opportunity to unleash your creativity. Decorating the cake with various pieces of chocolate honeycomb, raisins, popcorn, or even plastic dinosaurs can be a fun and stress-relieving activity. Engaging in creative endeavors has been linked to lower stress levels and improved mental well-being.
5. Social connections
Sharing a volcano cake with loved ones and friends can create a sense of togetherness and strengthen social bonds. Baking and enjoying this cake together can promote bonding experiences and contribute to positive relationships, which are crucial for overall happiness and mental health.
When enjoying volcano cake, it is important to remember that moderation is the key to success. Although this dessert offers some potential health benefits, it is still high in sugar and calories. Enjoy a slice or two on special occasions or as an occasional treat to enjoy the flavor while maintaining a balanced diet.