Savor the vibrant flavors of Vietnam with our tantalizing Vietnamese Shrimp and Noodle Salad. This recipe features a delicious combination of succulent shrimp, tender noodles and a mix of fresh vegetables. For an additional flavor explosion, we strongly recommend preparing the crispy shallots. Their irresistible flavor and satisfying crunch take this super-healthy salad to new heights. Prepare to be amazed by this delicious dish that effortlessly combines healthy ingredients with incredible flavor. Get ready for a culinary adventure that will leave you wanting more!
- 200g thin rice noodles
- 200g large cooked, peeled prawns
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 small red chili pepper, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced into strips (using a peeler)
- 1 large handful each of coriander and mint
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Juice 3 limes
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- flour, for dusting
- Heat 5cm oil in a wok until hot.
- Mix the shallot slices with flour.
- Shake off excess flour and fry the shallots in the hot oil until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Drain the fried shallots on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt. Put aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and garlic to make the dressing.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour boiling water over the pasta and let simmer for 2 minutes or until cooked through.
- Rinse the cooked pasta under cold water and then drain well, shaking the sieve several times to remove excess water.
- Return the drained pasta to the mixing bowl.
- Add the shrimp, onions, chili, cucumber and herbs to the bowl with the noodles.
- Pour the dressing over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Mix all ingredients in the bowl.
- Scatter the prepared crispy shallots and peanuts over the salad.
Equipment and tools
To make this Vietnamese Shrimp Noodle Salad with Crispy Shallots, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large pot for cooking the rice noodles
- Colander or colander for draining the cooked pasta
- Sharp knife for cutting onions, chili and cucumbers
- Peeler for cutting the cucumber into strips
- Cutting board for cutting vegetables and herbs
- Tablespoon and teaspoon for measuring ingredients
- Garlic press or knife to mince the garlic clove
- Frying pan for cooking the shallots
- Slotted spoon or tongs for removing the crispy shallots from the pan
This Vietnamese Shrimp Noodle Salad with Crispy Shallots contains the following allergens:
- Peanuts: Be sure to check if anyone consuming the dish has a peanut allergy.
- Shellfish (Shrimp): If someone has a shellfish allergy, the shrimp can be omitted or replaced with another protein source.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers from this Vietnamese Shrimp Noodle Salad with Crispy Shallots, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Here are some tips:
- Store the cooked rice noodles separately from the other ingredients to prevent them from getting soggy.
- The crispy shallots can lose their crunch if stored for too long. Consider storing them separately and adding them to the salad just before serving.
- This salad is best enjoyed fresh, but it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Health Benefits of Vietnamese Shrimp Noodle Salad with Crispy Shallots
Vietnamese Shrimp Noodle Salad with Crispy Shallots is not only delicious and refreshing, but also offers several health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients. From the rice noodles to the shrimp to the variety of herbs and vegetables, this salad is full of nutrients that can contribute to your overall well-being.
1. Rice noodles
The thin rice noodles used in this salad are made from rice flour and are therefore naturally gluten-free. These noodles are a good source of carbohydrates and provide energy for your daily activities. They are also low in fat and sodium, making them a healthier alternative to traditional wheat noodles.
The large cooked, peeled shrimp in this salad are a lean source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues in the body as well as supporting a healthy immune system. Shrimp is also low in calories and fat, making it a good choice for weight management.
3. Red onion
The small red onion not only provides delicious taste but also offers several health benefits. Red onions are rich in antioxidants, particularly quercetin, which has been linked to reducing inflammation and supporting heart health. They are also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
4. Red chili
The small red chili peppers in this salad add a spicy touch and have health benefits. Chilies contain capsaicin, a compound known to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. They can also help boost metabolism and aid in weight loss.
The grated cucumber strips not only provide a refreshing crunch, but also help provide moisture. Cucumbers are mostly water, making them an excellent choice for maintaining hydration. In addition, they are low in calories and provide important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K and potassium.
6. Coriander and mint
The large handful of coriander and mint not only provide a fresh taste, but also offer health benefits. Both herbs are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties. They can aid digestion and support overall immune health.
The roasted peanuts sprinkled on top provide a crunchy texture while providing various health benefits. Peanuts are a good source of monounsaturated fats, heart-healthy fats that can help lower bad cholesterol. They are also rich in protein, fiber and vitamin E.
8. Lime juice
The lime juice used in the dressing not only provides a tangy taste, but also provides a dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is important for collagen production, which supports healthy skin, bones and blood vessels. It also acts as an antioxidant, helping to protect cells from free radical damage.
9. Soft brown sugar
The soft brown sugar, although used in moderation, adds a touch of sweetness to balance the flavors. Compared to refined white sugar, brown sugar contains some natural molasses, which contains minerals such as calcium, potassium and iron. These minerals can support bone health and contribute to overall nutrient absorption.
10. Fish sauce
The fish sauce used in the dressing gives the salad a savory umami flavor. Although it is high in sodium, a small amount of it goes a long way when it comes to flavor. Fish sauce is also a source of protein and provides small amounts of calcium and iron.
The thinly sliced shallots are fried until crispy, adding a delicious texture and flavor to the salad. Shallots are a member of the Allium family, which is associated with various health benefits. They contain compounds that may help lower cholesterol, support heart health and have antimicrobial properties.
With such a diverse selection of nutritious ingredients, Vietnamese Shrimp Noodle Salad with Crispy Shallots is not only a delicious meal but also offers numerous health benefits that support a balanced and nourishing lifestyle.