Treat yourself to a delicious twist on the traditional Greek moussaka with our vegetarian version. By omitting the lamb, we have created a dish that will suit herbivorous palates. Made with layers of eggplant, potatoes, and aromatic spices, this delicious casserole delivers an explosion of Mediterranean flavors with every bite. To top it all off, a heavenly creamy layer of cheese provides a luxurious finish. Vegetarian or not, you won’t be able to resist enjoying this heavenly creation!
- 140g dried green lentils
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 cube of vegetable broth with reduced salt content
- 200g sweet potatoes, cut into thin slices
- 1 large eggplant, sliced and the largest slices halved again
- 250 g low-fat cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- In a large pan, combine lentils, onions, garlic, herbs and spices.
- Add 850 ml water and bring to the boil.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock cubes, sweet potatoes and eggplant to the pan.
- Cover again and simmer for another 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils and vegetables are soft and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove bay leaves.
- In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese, egg and cheese.
- Place the lentil mixture in a large ovenproof dish.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the lentil mixture.
- Arrange the tomatoes on top.
- Grind some black pepper over the bowl.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until topping is set.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- baking pan
- baking tray
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (cream cheese, feta cheese)
Storage and leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm up thoroughly before consumption.
Health Benefits of Veggie Moussaka
When it comes to home cooking, vegetarian moussaka is the way to go. Made with healthy ingredients like lentils, sweet potatoes, eggplant, and tomatoes, this Mediterranean-inspired dish not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers multiple health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at what makes vegetarian moussaka a nutritious choice:
1. Rich in fiber
Including dried green lentils in vegetarian moussaka provides a significant amount of fiber. Fiber aids digestion, promotes bowel regularity, and helps maintain a healthy weight by keeping you feeling fuller for longer. It also helps control blood sugar levels and lowers the risk of heart disease.
2. Packed with nutrients
This recipe contains a variety of vegetables including onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, eggplant, and tomatoes. This vegetable is rich in essential vitamins such as vitamin C, vitamin A and potassium. They also provide antioxidants that protect your cells from damage and support overall health and well-being.
3. Little fat
Unlike traditional moussaka recipes that use ground meat, this vegetarian version uses low-fat cream cheese and a small amount of feta cheese. This significantly reduces the saturated fat content while still maintaining a creamy and delicious texture. A low-fat diet has positive effects on heart health and weight management.
4. Supports digestive health
Including garlic and onions in this recipe not only adds flavor but also provides prebiotic properties. Prebiotics serve as food for the beneficial bacteria in your gut and promote a healthy gut microbiome. A healthy gut microbiome is essential for better digestion, nutrient absorption and a strong immune system.
5. Promotes weight management
Thanks to the fiber-rich lentils and sweet potatoes, Veggie Moussaka ensures a longer-lasting feeling of satiety. This can help control cravings and prevent overeating, ultimately supporting weight management goals. In addition, the low fat content contributes to a healthier and more balanced meal.
Veggie moussaka is the perfect option for anyone who wants to enjoy a nutritious and tasty dish while maintaining a plant-based lifestyle. With its healthy ingredients and numerous health benefits, this recipe makes it easier to enjoy comfort food with a clear conscience.