Add a little extra to this cake with saffron threads. Don’t worry if you don’t have one – it’s delicious either way. The sweetness of the apricots combined with the saffron gives this cake a unique and exotic taste. The saffron threads add a touch of warmth and richness to every bite, adding a delicious twist to a classic dessert. Whether you choose saffron or not, this upside-down sticky apricot cake will impress you with its irresistible taste and aroma.
- 85g golden powdered sugar
- 6 apricots, halved
- 200g butter
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75 ml whole milk
- A pinch of saffron threads (optional) diluted in a little warm water
- 140g plain flour
- 140g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
Why not try…
Fry a few halved apricots with a small button
butter and a pinch of sugar until sticky,
Then serve them together with duck apricots
and duck taste delicious together.
- Place the sugar in a deep, ovenproof skillet. Heat over high heat until caramelized, remove from heat, then place the apricots cut side down in the caramel, quartering some of the apricots to fit into the gaps. Put aside. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- To make the cake batter, use an electric whisk to combine the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the milk and saffron, if using. Fold in the flour and ground almonds and stir until everything is well mixed.
- Place a dollop of batter on top of the apricots and smooth it out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 40 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cake out onto a plate and let it cool.
- Cut into wedges.
- Serve with crème fraîche if desired.
Equipment and tools
To make this upside down sticky apricot cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- 8-inch round cake pan
- mixing bowl
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife for halving apricots
This Apricot Upside Down Sticky Cake contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products: butter, eggs, milk
- Gluten: Regular flour, self-rising flour
- Nuts: Ground almonds
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers from this upside-down, sticky apricot cake, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Alternatively, you can store the cake in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To reheat the cake, you can warm individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds or heat them in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 5 minutes.
Note: The consistency and stickiness of the cake may vary after storing and reheating.
Health Benefits of Upside Down Sticky Apricot Cake
Apricot Upside Down Sticky Cake not only tantalizes the taste buds but also has several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at how the ingredients of this delicious cake contribute to your well-being.
The star of this cake, apricots, are not only delicious but also full of important nutrients. They are a good source of vitamins A and C, powerful antioxidants that boost the immune system and promote healthy skin. In addition, apricots contain fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight.
Although butter is typically high in saturated fats, it can still provide some health benefits when consumed in moderation. Butter contains vitamins A, D, E and K, fat-soluble vitamins that are necessary for various body functions. It also contains a good amount of healthy fats that support nutrient absorption and provide energy.
Eggs are a nutritional powerhouse. They are an excellent source of protein and contain all the essential amino acids necessary for muscle growth and repair. Eggs also contain important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, iron and selenium, which support brain function and promote overall health.
Whole milk adds richness and moisture to the cake. It is an abundant source of calcium, essential for strong bones and teeth. Milk also provides protein and various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin D, which aids in calcium absorption. However, those with lactose intolerance or milk allergies can opt for dairy-free alternatives.
Saffron strands (optional)
While optional, saffron threads add a unique flavor and aroma to the cake. Saffron contains a compound called crocin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It has also been linked to improving mood and may help relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety.
The combination of regular flour and self-rising flour in the cake gives it a soft and fluffy texture. However, it is important to note that consuming excessive amounts of refined flour can lead to weight gain and other health problems. Moderation is key.
Ground almonds add a nutty flavor and add moisture to the cake. Almonds are an excellent source of healthy fats, fiber, proteins and several essential nutrients. They are associated with reducing the risk of heart disease and lowering cholesterol levels.
Now that you know the health benefits of the ingredients used in apricot upside-down sticky cake, you can enjoy this delicious treat guilt-free. It’s a perfect combination of delicious taste and nutritious goodness!