Introducing you the ultimate scone recipe! Allow master scone maker Angela Nilsen to share her top secret tips and tricks for creating flawlessly delicious scones every time. Discover the secrets of baking these delicious treats to the utmost perfection. From the perfectly golden crust to the light and fluffy interior, you’ll be amazed by the results. With Angela’s guidance, you’ll become a scone connoisseur in no time. Don’t miss this incredible opportunity to improve your baking skills and indulge in the ultimate scone experience!
- 225 g self-raising flour, preferably organic
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50 g lightly salted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 25g golden powdered sugar
- 125 ml buttermilk
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- some flour for dusting
- Strawberry jam and clotted cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7/fan 200°C.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with butter unless you are using a nonstick sheet.
- Mix flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter to the bowl and rub it into the flour with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Try not to over-process the mixture as leaving it slightly flaky will make it lighter.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Measure the buttermilk into a separate container and then mix it in to loosen it.
- Using a round knife, make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Pour most of the buttermilk mixture into the well, leaving some behind if not needed.
- Gently stir the mixture with the knife until a soft, slightly sticky dough forms.
- If there are any loose, dry pieces, mix them with the remaining buttermilk.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the mixture 3-4 times to eliminate any cracks.
- Gently pat the dough with your hands to a thickness of at least 2 cm and no more than 2.5 cm.
- Dip a 2-inch round fluted cutter in a bowl of flour to prevent sticking.
- Cut out the scones by pressing the cutter quickly and firmly with your hand.
- Do not rotate the cutter.
- Gather the scraps, pat them together lightly and cut out a few more scones.
- Place the scones on the baking sheet.
- If necessary, sift some flour or icing over the top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the scones have risen and are golden brown.
- Let the scones cool on a wire rack.
- If you prefer crispy tops, leave them open; If you prefer softer tops, cover them loosely with a cloth.
- Serve the scones with strawberry jam and a generous amount of clotted cream.
- Eat the scones as fresh as possible.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Fork or pastry cutter
- Baking tray or tray lined with baking paper
- Cooling rack
- Sifter or sieve
- rolling pin
- knife or cookie cutter
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
- Milk (dairy products)
Please note that this recipe may also contain traces of other allergens as it is prepared in a kitchen that processes various ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
Store the scones in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. They are best enjoyed fresh, but you can also warm them up in the oven or toaster for a few minutes before serving. Leftover scones can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, wrap them individually in plastic wrap or place them in a zip-top freezer bag. Allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Health Benefits of Ultimate Scones
When it comes to enjoying delicious treats, it’s always beneficial if we can find health benefits that justify our indulgence. Made from healthy ingredients, Ultimate Scones not only delight our taste buds but also offer numerous health benefits.
Organic self-raising flour for nutrient-rich scones
The recipe calls for 225g of self-raising flour, preferably organic. By choosing organic flour, you ensure that your scones are free of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. Additionally, organic farms generally emphasize soil fertility, which results in higher nutrient content in the flour. This means that not only do you get delicious scones, but you also get a potential boost of important vitamins and minerals.
Reduced sodium content with a pinch of salt
The Ultimate Scones recipe contains just a quarter teaspoon of salt, contributing to the balanced flavor profile. By using only a small amount, you can still enjoy the savory taste while keeping your sodium intake under control. It is important to moderate sodium consumption because a diet high in sodium can increase the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
Small amount of butter for creaminess
Despite the use of butter in the recipe, the Ultimate Scones aim for moderation. The 50g of lightly salted butter gives the scones a touch of creaminess without overloading them with excessive saturated fat. Saturated fat, when consumed in large quantities, can contribute to higher cholesterol levels. Therefore, the recipe strikes a balance between taste and health aspects.
Golden powdered sugar: sweetness without excess
With just 25g of golden powdered sugar, these scones give you a touch of sweetness without going overboard. Compared to refined white sugar, golden powdered sugar contains more natural molasses, providing a subtle caramel flavor. The lower amount of sugar in the recipe helps keep overall sugar intake under control, which is essential for a balanced diet.
Buttermilk and whole milk for creamy moisture
The Ultimate Scones use a combination of buttermilk and whole milk, 125ml total, to create a moist and tender texture. Buttermilk adds a tangy flavor and helps keep the scones moist without requiring an excessive amount of fat. Whole milk adds a rich and creamy flavor, making for a delicious eating experience.
Natural strawberry jam and clotted cream toppings
No ultimate scones experience is complete without a delicious strawberry jam and clotted cream spread. While these toppings add flavor and enjoyment, it’s important to keep portions in check to maintain a healthy balance. For a healthier treat, use natural strawberry jam to avoid additional artificial sweeteners and preservatives.
So next time you treat yourself to Ultimate Scones, enjoy them knowing that they not only provide a delicious experience for your taste buds but also come with some health benefits. From organic flour to a balanced sodium content to a moderate fat and sugar content, these scones are a real treat for your taste buds and your well-being.