This foolproof recipe ensures that even beginners get crispy skin and a fluffy interior. With simple but important steps you can achieve the ultimate baked potatoes every time. Start by choosing the right potatoes, preferably Maris Piper or King Edward. Cook them until tender, drain them, then roughen the edges. For even more deliciousness, preheat the oven with goose fat. Carefully place the potatoes in the hot oil, making sure they are well covered. Roast to perfection, turning occasionally, until golden brown and irresistibly crispy. These heavenly potatoes are perfect for any Sunday dinner or as a stunning side dish to your Christmas dinner.
- 1kg Maris Piper potato
- 100g duck or goose fat (for a luxurious taste) or 100ml olive oil
- 2 tsp flour
- Maldon salt for serving
To get really crispy fried potatoes, make sure the fat or oil is really hot before adding the potatoes.
- Place a roasting tin in the oven (one large enough to hold the potatoes in a single layer) and preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
- Peel the potatoes and cut each into 4 equal pieces if they are medium sized, into 2-3 if they are smaller (5cm pieces).
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and pour in enough water to just cover them.
- Add salt and wait for the water to boil.
- Once the water is completely boiling, reduce the heat, set the timer and simmer the potatoes, uncovered, at a fairly vigorous rate for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the fat of your choice to the hot roasting pan and heat it in the oven for a few minutes to get it really hot.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Now it’s time to rough them up a bit – shake the sieve back and forth a few times to loosen up the outsides.
- Sprinkle with flour and shake once or twice more to coat evenly and thinly.
- Carefully place the potatoes in the hot oil – they will sizzle – and then turn them over so that they are completely covered.
- Spread them out in a single layer, making sure they have enough space.
- Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and turn over.
- Roast for another 15 minutes and turn again.
- Put them back in the oven for another 10-20 minutes, or however long it takes, until they are really golden brown and crispy.
- The coloring will be uneven, which is what you want.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.
Equipment and tools
To make the ultimate roast potatoes, you’ll need the following equipment and tools:
- baking sheet or roasting pan
- mixing bowl
- Tongs or spoon
The ultimate fried potato recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Gluten: This recipe contains flour that may contain gluten. If you have gluten intolerance or celiac disease, consider using a gluten-free flour alternative.
Storage and leftovers
Here are some tips for storing and enjoying leftover Ultimate Roast Potatoes:
- Storage: Store leftover baked potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: To reheat the potatoes, preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F). Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and crispy.
- Enjoy cold: Leftover fried potatoes can also be enjoyed cold as a delicious snack or side dish.
Health Benefits of Ultimate Roast Potatoes
Roasted potatoes are a classic side dish that can elevate any meal, and nothing beats the enjoyment of a perfectly crispy and fluffy bite. Ultimate Roast Potatoes are not only a delicious addition to your plate, but they also offer several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritional benefits of this delicious dish.
1. Excellent energy source
The main ingredient in Ultimate Roast Potatoes is Maris Piper potatoes. These starchy tubers are high in carbohydrates, making them an excellent source of energy. Carbohydrates are the body’s preferred source of energy and provide the energy needed to get through the day.
2. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Maris Piper potatoes are also packed with important vitamins and minerals. They are particularly rich in vitamin C, which supports immune function and collagen production and acts as an antioxidant in the body. In addition, potatoes contain vitamin B6, potassium and manganese, which are necessary for proper nerve function and maintaining cellular health.
3. Versatile fat options
The recipe offers two fat options: duck or goose fat for a luxurious flavor or olive oil for a healthier alternative. Duck and goose fat add decadent flavor and richness to the dish, while olive oil provides unsaturated fats that can have positive effects on heart health when consumed in moderation.
4. Minimal flour consumption
The Ultimate Roast Potatoes recipe contains a small amount of flour. While flour adds a slight crunch to the potatoes, it is important to note that the amount of flour is small, so the impact on overall nutrition is minimal.
5. Improves satiety
Because of their high carbohydrate content, fried potatoes are very filling. Eating a moderate serving of Ultimate Roast Potatoes can help promote satiety, keep you full longer, and potentially reduce the urge to overeat.
6. Mindful cooking technique
The tip mentioned in the recipe of making sure the fat or oil is really hot before adding the potatoes will help make crispy potatoes. This gentle cooking technique minimizes oil absorption during cooking, resulting in a lighter and less greasy end product.
Incorporating Ultimate Roast Potatoes into your meals not only provides you with amazing flavors, but also provides valuable nutrients that are essential for a balanced diet. Remember to enjoy them in moderation as part of a varied and balanced diet.