Experience the ultimate indulgence with our delicious Ultimate Gratin Dauphinois recipe. Made with a handful of simple ingredients, this creamy potato side dish is an absolute showstopper that’s bursting with incredible flavors. Every bite will transport you to potato perfection, with its velvety texture and rich flavor that lingers on your palate. The irresistible charm of the gratin lies in its simplicity, which allows the natural flavor of the potatoes to shine through. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just craving a savory dish, this gratin is a delicious choice that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
- 1 kg Desirée potatoes
- 300 ml whole milk
- 284ml carton of double cream
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus some for sprinkling
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 25g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas 4/fan 140°C.
- Rub the entire surface of a baking dish (approx. 18 x 28 cm/7 x 11 inches) with the butter.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 3mm wide slices.
- Place the slices on a clean tea towel and pat dry. Cover them with the tea towel while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Pour milk and cream into a saucepan.
- Add garlic, thyme and shallot (if using).
- Heat the milk slowly and remove it from the heat when it is close to boiling point and you see bubbles on the edge of the pan.
- Strain the liquid into a large jug, sprinkle the nutmeg over it and keep warm.
- Layer half of the potato slices in the dish, overlapping the slices slightly and sprinkling some salt and freshly ground pepper between each layer. You don’t need to be too careful with the bottom layers, but save some of your best slices for later to keep the top looking good.
- Pour half of the hot milk and cream over the potatoes and then add the remaining potatoes in layers (arranging them a little more carefully this time).
- Pour the rest of the hot milk and cream over it.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake for about an hour, until golden brown and tender.
- Let the mold stand for about 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with a few fresh thyme leaves.
Equipment and tools
- Large baking dish
- cutting board
- Garlic peeler
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
This recipe contains dairy products (milk, cream and parmesan). If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, please use suitable alternatives or leave out the ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the gratin in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Health Benefits of Ultimate Gratin Dauphinois
Ultimate Gratin Dauphinois is a delicious French dish made with layers of sliced potatoes, creamy milk, double cream and a touch of garlic and thyme. In addition to being a delicious treat for your taste buds, this gratin also offers several health benefits:
1. Nutritious potatoes
For this recipe you will need 1kg of Desirée potatoes, which are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Potatoes are rich in fiber, vitamin C, potassium and B vitamins. They provide energy, promote digestion and support a healthy immune system.
2. Calcium and protein from milk
The whole milk in this recipe not only gives the gratin a creamy consistency, but also adds to its nutritional value. Milk is a good source of calcium, which helps develop strong bones and teeth. In addition, it contains protein, which is essential for muscle repair and growth.
3. Creamy Benefits of Double Cream
The 10-ounce box of double cream used in this recipe adds delicious creaminess to the gratin. Although double cream is high in saturated fats, it also provides a good dose of energy and can be a source of vitamin A.
4. Antioxidant garlic clove
In addition to its distinct flavor, the recipe includes a clove of garlic, known for its numerous health benefits. Garlic contains antioxidants that protect the body from oxidative damage, support the immune system, and may even have anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Thyme for a flavor boost
Aside from adding a delightful aroma and flavor to the gratin, the two sprigs of fresh thyme have potential health benefits. Thyme contains essential oils that may have antibacterial and antifungal properties, as well as antioxidants that may help promote overall health.
6. Nutmeg – a spice with potential benefits
A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg not only enhances the flavor of the gratin, but can also provide health benefits. Nutmeg contains compounds whose anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties have been studied, although further research is needed to fully understand its potential effects.
7. Delicious parmesan topping
Finally, the gratin is rounded off with 25g of freshly grated Parmesan (or a vegetarian alternative). Parmesan cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. Although it should be eaten in moderation due to its high sodium content, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese adds a delicious burst of flavor to the dish.
In summary, Ultimate Gratin Dauphinois not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a number of potential health benefits. From the nutritious potatoes to the aromatic garlic and thyme, each ingredient adds its unique touch, making this dish a delicious and nutritious meal option.