Indulge your senses with our ultimate crème brûlée recipe, featuring a velvety-smooth vanilla cream that is the epitome of decadence. Dip your spoon into the rich, creamy texture and experience pure culinary pleasure. With an irresistible contrast of perfectly caramelized, crunchy topping, this French classic is taken to a new level of deliciousness. Our expert tips and tricks will accompany you every step of the way and ensure that your crème brûlée masterpiece is an absolute eye-catcher. Treat yourself and your loved ones to this ultimate sweet feeling that will leave you wanting more.
- 2 boxes of double cream, 1 large (284 ml) plus 1 small (142 ml)
- 100 ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 5 egg yolks
- 50g golden powdered sugar, plus a little more for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place four 6-ounce ramekins in a deep roasting pan at least 3 inches deep (or a large, deep cake pan) so that a baking sheet will sit well over the ramekins when placed over the top of the pan.
- Pour the large and small packets of cream into a medium saucepan with the milk.
- Place the vanilla bean on a board and use a sharp knife to cut it in half lengthwise to divide it into two parts.
- Use the tip of a knife to scrape out any small seeds from the cream mixture.
- Also add the vanilla bean and set aside.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix with an electric hand mixer for 1 minute until the color is lighter and slightly fluffy.
- Place the saucepan with the cream over medium heat and bring it almost to the boil.
- As soon as you see bubbles around the edge, remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the hot cream into the beaten egg yolks, stirring with a whisk and scraping the seeds from the pan.
- Place a fine sieve over a large, wide jug or bowl and pour the hot mixture into it to strain, leaving any vanilla seeds through at the end.
- Using a large spoon, skim off all of the light foam sitting on top of the liquid (that’s several spoonfuls) and discard.
- Stir the mixture.
- Pour enough hot water (from the tap) into the roasting pan so that it reaches about 1.5 cm above the edge of the ramekins.
- Pour the hot cream into the ramekins so that they are filled to the top – the last bit will be easier to spoon in.
- Put them in the oven and place a baking sheet over the dish so that it sits well over the ramekins and completely covers them, but not the whole dish, leaving a small gap on one side for air to circulate.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the mixture is soft.
- To check this, gently rock the roaster back and forth. When the crème brûlées are ready, they will jiggle a little in the middle like jelly.
- Don’t let them get too firm.
- Using oven mitts, lift the ramekins out of the roasting pan, place them on a rack to cool, and let them cool for just a few minutes. Then place them in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- This can be done overnight without affecting the texture.
- When ready to serve, wipe top of ramekins, sprinkle 1½ teaspoons confectioners’ sugar over each ramekin, and spread with the back of a spoon until completely covered.
- Spray the sugar with a little water and a fine sprayer (like you buy at a craft store) to just moisten it – then caramelize it with a blowtorch.
- Hold the flame directly over the sugar and move it repeatedly until it caramelizes.
- Serve when the brûlée is set or within an hour or two.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the ultimate crème brûlée you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Baking tins or ramekins
- cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Heat-resistant bowl
- Cooking torch
This ultimate creme brulee recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products – double cream, whole milk and egg yolks
Please make sure that the ingredients you use do not contain any other potential allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Ultimate Crème Brûlée, follow these storage tips:
- Allow the creme brulee to cool completely.
- Cover the casserole dishes or ramekins securely with plastic wrap or place them in airtight containers.
- Store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Note that the caramelized frosting may soften in the refrigerator. To restore the crunch, caramelize the topping again with a torch before serving.
Health Benefits of the Ultimate Crème Brûlée
Crème Brûlée, a classic French dessert, is known for its rich and creamy texture. This decadent treat is loved by many, but did you know it can also provide some surprising health benefits? The Ultimate Crème Brûlée recipe combines a few key ingredients that contribute to its nutritional value. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious dessert.
1. Double cream
Double cream is the star ingredient in this recipe, providing the luxurious smoothness and creamy flavor that crème brûlée is famous for. Although double cream is high in calories and fat, it also contains important nutrients. It is a good source of vitamin A, which is important for maintaining healthy skin and vision. Additionally, it contains some amounts of vitamins D and E as well as calcium, which supports bone health. However, due to its high calorie content, it is important to consume double cream in moderation.
2. Whole milk
Whole milk, another ingredient in this recipe, gives the crème brûlée a slightly lighter consistency. It is a great source of essential nutrients such as calcium, protein and vitamin D. Calcium is crucial for strong bones and teeth, while protein plays a key role in muscle growth and repair. Vitamin D helps the body better absorb calcium and thus ensures overall bone health.
3. Vanilla bean
The addition of a vanilla bean not only enhances the flavor of this dessert but also brings with it some potential health benefits. Vanilla is rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. It also contains small amounts of B vitamins such as niacin, thiamine and riboflavin, which are essential for maintaining energy levels and supporting nervous system function.
4. Egg yolk
Egg yolk is the magical ingredient that gives crème brûlée its pudding-like consistency. They are packed with essential nutrients, including vitamins A, D, E, and K. Egg yolks are also an excellent source of choline, an essential nutrient important for brain development and function. However, since they are high in cholesterol, it is best to consume them in moderation.
5. Golden powdered sugar
The small amount of golden powdered sugar used in the Ultimate Crème Brûlée recipe provides just the right amount of sweetness. While sugar should generally be consumed in moderation, a small amount can bring joy to our taste buds. It is important to watch your sugar intake as excessive consumption may have negative health effects.
In summary, the ultimate crème brûlée recipe not only satisfies our sweet cravings, but also offers some surprising health benefits. From the calcium-rich whole milk to the antioxidant-rich vanilla bean, each ingredient brings a unique nutritional benefit to this dessert. Remember to enjoy this treat in moderation, given the calorie and fat content of the cream and egg yolks.