This side dish, known as Turmeric Pilau with Golden Onions, is a delicious and flavorful addition to any meal. It offers the perfect blend of fragrant spices and the caramelized sweetness of golden onions. The best part is that it requires minimal effort since it can be partially prepared in the kitchen and then easily finished on the grill. Simply add all the ingredients to a wok and over the coals to let the flavors mingle while you enjoy the outdoor cooking experience. This recipe is sure to impress your guests and take your grilling game to the next level.
- 400g basmati rice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- just under 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 red or green chili peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
- Rinse the rice thoroughly until the water looks completely clear.
- Drain the rice and place it in a large pot of salted water.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the rice for 6 minutes. Check for tenderness after 5 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain it well. Let it cool and cool.
- Heat the oil in a large wok.
- When the oil is hot, add the spices and fry until it starts to pop.
- Add the onions to the wok and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and golden brown.
- Add the turmeric and chili to the wok and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- If using a grill, heat the wok over the coals.
- Once the onions begin to sizzle, add the chilled rice to the wok. Cook and toss the rice until heated through.
- When the heat of the coals subsides, cover the wok with a lid or foil to retain the heat.
Equipment and tools
To make this delicious turmeric pilau with golden onions, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large pot with a tight-fitting lid
- measuring spoon
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
- wooden spoon
This Golden Onion Turmeric Pilau recipe contains the following allergens:
- Mustard seeds
- chilies (optional)
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers from this Golden Onion Turmeric Pilaf, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the pilaf in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until warmed through. Alternatively, you can warm it up on the stove in a pot with a splash of water to keep it from drying out.
Health Benefits of Turmeric Pilau with Golden Onions
Turmeric is a bright yellow spice that not only adds flavor and color to dishes, but also offers numerous health benefits. When combined with ingredients such as basmati rice, olive oil, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, onions and chilies, turmeric creates a delicious and nutritious dish known as turmeric pilau with golden onions. Let’s explore the health benefits of this tasty recipe:
1. Anti-inflammatory properties
Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, which has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Consuming turmeric can help reduce chronic inflammation, relieve arthritis symptoms, and contribute to overall joint health. Incorporating turmeric pilau with golden onions into your diet can be a tasty way to incorporate this natural anti-inflammatory spice.
2. Rich in antioxidants
Both turmeric and the onions used in this recipe are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. By neutralizing these free radicals, antioxidants contribute to cellular health and can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
3. Digestive Benefits
The combination of cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, and turmeric in this pilau provides numerous digestive benefits. Cumin seeds may aid digestion, relieve gas and bloating, and may even have antimicrobial properties. Mustard seeds are known to stimulate digestion and promote the release of digestive enzymes. Turmeric, on the other hand, is traditionally used to support digestive health and relieve digestive problems.
4. Immune system support
With turmeric, chili, and onions, this dish can help boost the immune system. Turmeric contains compounds that have immunomodulatory effects and may potentially enhance the immune response. Chilies, especially red chilies, are full of immune-boosting vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Onions, which are rich in vitamin C, can also contribute to a healthy immune system.
5. Possible anti-cancer properties
Research suggests that curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, may have anti-cancer properties. It has been studied for its potential to inhibit the growth of cancer cells and reduce the spread of tumors. Incorporating turmeric into your diet through dishes like turmeric pilau with golden onions could be a fun way to add this potentially beneficial spice to your cancer treatment.