Want a homemade pizza that beats any takeout meal? Look no further than our irresistible Turkish pizza recipe. This exciting twist on a classic features perfectly seasoned ground beef with aromatic spices, complemented by the delicious sweetness of Peppadew peppers. Garnished with crumbled feta cheese and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts, each bite is a delicious symphony of flavors that will transport you straight to the vibrant streets of Turkey. Prepare this delicious creation in the comfort of your own kitchen and experience an incomparable taste experience.
- 500g pack of bread mix
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus a little extra for the dough
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 250g extra lean ground beef
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp red chili flakes
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 400g jar of sweet pickled peppadew peppers, coarsely chopped
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- Mix the dough according to package directions (leaving about 2 tablespoons of the bread mixture in the bag for dusting and rolling out later).
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes.
- Brush the dough with oil.
- Place the dough in a large bowl and cover.
- Let the dough rise until it has doubled in volume.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9 (or highest).
- Sprinkle 2 baking sheets with a little flour and place in the oven to heat up.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet until hot.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the beef to the skillet and allow to brown, about 5 minutes, breaking up the ground beef as it cooks.
- Drain excess oil from the frying pan.
- Add spices, chili, 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, 5 tablespoons of pomegranate molasses and some spice to the pan.
- Cook the mixture for 1 minute and then remove from the heat.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls.
- Sprinkle the remaining flour over a work surface.
- Roll out each dough ball about 25 cm wide.
- Remove the trays from the oven and place 2 pizza bases on each (you will need to bake in batches).
- Spread the remaining tomato puree on each base.
- Top each base with the meat mixture, peppers, feta and pine nuts.
- Bake the pizzas for 10 minutes or until the bottoms are cooked through and golden brown around the edges.
- Drizzle the remaining pomegranate molasses over the top.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- cutting board
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
This Turkish pizza recipe contains allergens from wheat (bread mix) and dairy (feta cheese). Please be sure to check the packaging of the bread mix and feta cheese for specific allergen information and take into account any dietary restrictions or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
This Turkish pizza can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat the leftovers, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and place the pizza slices on a baking sheet. Heat until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can enjoy the leftovers cold.
Turkish Pizza with Pomegranate Spiced Beef and Feta will not only tantalize your taste buds with its delicious flavors but also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a look at some of the key ingredients and their positive effects on your well-being.
1. Minced meat
The extra-lean ground beef used in this recipe is an excellent source of high-quality protein. Protein plays an essential role in building and repairing tissue, supporting a healthy immune system and promoting growth, making it an important nutrient for your overall health. In addition, lean beef contains essential minerals such as iron, zinc and vitamin B12, which contribute to the production of red blood cells and support optimal brain function.
2. Pomegranate molasses
Pomegranate molasses is a flavorful ingredient that gives Turkish pizza a unique taste. It is made from reducing pomegranate juice, which preserves many of the fruit’s health benefits. Pomegranates are packed with antioxidants, including polyphenols and flavonoids, which help fight inflammation and may protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer. They are also a good source of vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system.
3. Sweet Pickled Peppadews Peppers
The sweet pickled Peppadew peppers not only give the pizza a special taste, but are also a rich source of vitamins and minerals. Peppers are generally known for their high content of vitamin C, which supports collagen production, increases iron absorption and contributes to healthy skin. They also contain vitamin A, which supports good vision, and potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure.
4. Cumin and cinnamon
The ground cumin and cinnamon used in the seasoned beef mixture provide more than just aromatic flavors. Both spices have been used in traditional medicine for centuries and are known for their diverse health benefits. Cumin is believed to aid digestion, have antimicrobial properties, and may help improve blood cholesterol levels. Cinnamon, on the other hand, is associated with lowering blood sugar levels, relieving inflammation, and improving insulin sensitivity, making it beneficial for those with diabetes or those at risk of developing diabetes.
5. Feta cheese and pine nuts
The finishing touches of crumbled feta cheese and pine nuts give the Turkish pizza not only a delicious texture and taste, but also nutritional value. Feta cheese is a good source of calcium, which is important for strong bones and teeth, as well as protein and probiotics, which support gut health. Pine nuts are a rich source of healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats, which promote heart health and help maintain healthy cholesterol levels.