Hit all five of your five meals a day with this delicious turkey chili recipe. Packed with a plethora of healthy ingredients, including bold vegetables, flavorful turkey, and a blend of gut-friendly spices, this dish is both nutritious and delicious. With each hearty bowl, you’ll pamper your taste buds and nourish your body at the same time. Whether you are a health conscious person or just looking for a healthy and filling dinner, this turkey chili will never disappoint. Enjoy the goodness of this balanced meal and enjoy the fact that you are taking care of both your cravings and your well-being.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 500 g minced turkey leg meat (7% fat)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely grated
- 1 chili, deseeded and chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 500g cardboard passata
- 2 x 400 g cans of red kidney beans, drained (liquid reserved)
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and diced
- 4 small sweet potatoes (approx. 140g each)
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Add the minced meat and break it up with a wooden spoon
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 10 minutes until the minced meat is cooked through
- Add the herbs and spices and cook for another minute
- Add the passata, the remaining bean liquid, the bouillon powder and the paprika
- Cover and cook until slightly thickened, 15-20 minutes
- Add the beans and cook for another 3-5 minutes
- Meanwhile, prick two of the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then microwave on high for 7-10 minutes until tender
- Mash one of the avocados with half of the lime juice in a small bowl
- To serve, halve the potatoes, top with half the chilli and finish with the mashed avocado
- Refrigerate the rest for another day
- The chiles will keep covered and refrigerated for four days or frozen for three months
- Reheat in the microwave or skillet over low heat until piping hot
- Serve as described above with the remaining sweet potatoes and pureed avocado and lime juice
Equipment and tools
Here are the equipment and tools you need to make turkey chili:
- frying pan
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- tin opener
- wooden spoon
- Serving bowls or plates
This turkey chili recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Celery – Some brands of vegetable stock powder may contain celery.
- May contain traces of nuts – Check the packaging of passata and red kidney beans as some brands may process their products in facilities that process nuts.
Storage and leftovers
Here are some tips for storing and dealing with leftover turkey chili:
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat the cooled chili leftovers in a saucepan over medium-high heat until warmed through.
- You can also freeze the chili for up to 3 months. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or bag. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Health Benefits of Turkey Chili
In addition to being a delicious and hearty dish, turkey chili also offers several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this recipe provides a balanced combination of proteins, vitamins and minerals essential to a healthy diet.
1. Lean protein source
Ground turkey leg meat is a lean source of protein with only 7% fat. Protein is crucial for building and repairing tissue, synthesizing enzymes, and supporting a strong immune system. It can also help you feel fuller for longer, making it a great weight management option.
2. Anti-inflammatory properties
The spices used in this turkey chili recipe, such as garlic, chili, oregano, coriander, cumin, and smoked paprika, are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. These spices can help reduce inflammation in the body, which is linked to various chronic diseases, including heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
3. Rich in fiber
This recipe contains kidney beans, which are high in fiber. Fiber plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy digestive system, preventing constipation, and reducing the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Including fiber in your diet can also help you feel full and prevent overeating.
4. Abundance of vitamins and minerals
The red peppers in this recipe are packed with various vitamins, including vitamin C, which supports a strong immune system and healthy skin. Sweet potatoes, another important ingredient, are high in vitamin A and provide important nutrients for eye health. Avocados, used as a topping, are a great source of healthy fats and contain vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin E and B vitamins.
5. Antioxidant-rich ingredients
Some of the ingredients used such as chili, garlic and spices are rich in antioxidants. These compounds help protect your body from oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and certain cancers.
6. Low glycemic index
Sweet potatoes, a key ingredient in this turkey chili recipe, have a low glycemic index. This means they are digested and absorbed more slowly, preventing a rapid rise in blood sugar levels. A low glycemic index diet can help regulate blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
With its nutritious ingredients and health-promoting properties, turkey chili is a delicious and healthy meal for anyone who wants to eat a balanced and healthy diet. Enjoy a bowl of turkey chili and enjoy the benefits it offers for your well-being!