Looking for an affordable and healthy meal? Then our turkey chili jacket potatoes are just the thing for you! This Mexican-inspired dish is made with affordable and lean ground turkey and is full of flavor thanks to the addition of cumin and paprika. Imagine tender, perfectly seasoned ground turkey served on a bed of crispy baked potatoes. It’s a culinary match made in heaven. This dish is not only delicious but also a great source of protein to keep you energized throughout the day. Try our Turkey Chili Jacket Potatoes today and pamper your taste buds without breaking your budget.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300g minced turkey meat
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 350 ml passata
- reduced-fat Red Leicester, grated, for serving
- 4 spring onions, chopped, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Prick the potatoes all over with a fork.
- Rub with a little oil and bake for 45 minutes until soft.
- In the meantime prepare the chili.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and some spice and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the ground turkey and season again.
- Increase the heat and break up the ground meat with the back of your spoon.
- When cooked, add spices, vinegar, sugar and passata.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced.
- Cut a cross into the top of each potato.
- Add the chili.
- Serve each potato sprinkled with cheese and green onions.
Equipment and tools
Here are the equipment and tools you’ll need to make this Turkey Chili Jacket Potato recipe:
- Baked potatoes (4 large ones)
- frying pan
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- A garlic press
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
Please note the following allergen information for this recipe:
- Contains milk
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to store your turkey chili jacket potatoes, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the dish to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer remaining turkey chili to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Note: The jacket potatoes are best served immediately after baking, but you can also store them separately from the turkey chili if desired.
Health Benefits of Turkey Chili Jacket Potatoes
Turkey and chili jacket potatoes are not only a delicious and filling meal, but also offer numerous health benefits. This recipe combines the goodness of turkey, a lean source of protein, with nutrient-dense vegetables, spices, and low-fat cheese. Let’s explore the health benefits of each ingredient:
Baked potatoes are an excellent source of fiber, especially when eaten with their skins on. They’re also low in fat and full of important vitamins and minerals like potassium and vitamin C, which support heart health and boost the immune system.
Using olive oil in this recipe adds healthy monounsaturated fats that are beneficial for heart health. It also contains antioxidants that help reduce inflammation in the body.
Onion and Garlic
Onions and garlic are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties. They also contain compounds that can lower cholesterol and support a healthy immune system.
Ground turkey is leaner than beef or pork, making it a healthier choice. It is a great source of protein that helps build and repair tissue in the body. It also contains minerals like zinc and selenium, which are essential for a strong immune system.
Smoked paprika and ground cumin
These spices not only add flavor but also offer potential health benefits. Smoked paprika contains antioxidants that may protect against certain types of cancer. Ground cumin has a digestive effect and can help improve blood sugar control.
Apple cider vinegar and softened light brown sugar
Adding apple cider vinegar provides a tangy flavor and may have potential health benefits such as improving digestion and promoting weight loss. Soft light brown sugar adds a touch of sweetness without excessive calories.
Passata is a tomato puree that contains a rich source of lycopene, an antioxidant that may help protect against certain cancers and promote heart health. It also contains vitamins A and C.
Reduced fat Red Leicester
Using reduced-fat Red Leicester cheese in this recipe reduces the overall fat content while providing calcium, which is essential for healthy bones and teeth. It is also a good source of protein.
The addition of green onions not only provides a refreshing taste, but also provides additional nutrients such as vitamins K and C. They also contain antioxidants that help fight inflammation and may have anti-cancer properties.
By incorporating these ingredients into turkey chili jacket potatoes, you can enjoy a flavorful meal while reaping the numerous health benefits they offer.