Want to give your Niçoise salad a little more pizzazz? Look no further! Our Tuna Cake Niçoise Salad recipe is the perfect solution. Not only is it incredibly tasty, but it also adds a filling filling to the dish.
What makes this recipe even better is that it can easily be made in advance and frozen so you can enjoy a quick meal whenever you need it. With the combination of spicy tuna cakes and the fresh, vibrant ingredients of a classic Niçoise salad, this dish is sure to become one of your new favorites.
- 300g potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 4 eggs
- 200g green beans
- 225g sustainable jarred tuna (we used Marine Stewardship Council approved Waitrose albacore tuna), drained and flaked
- 50g plain flour
- 2 romaine lettuce, torn
- 140g black olives in olive oil
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tbsp white or red wine vinegar
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with salted water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the eggs.
- Cook for 7 minutes, then add the beans.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Put everything in a large sieve, remove the potatoes and put them in a bowl.
- Cool the eggs and beans under cold water.
- Mash the potatoes with some spices and mix with the tuna.
- Form into 4 patties and roll in flour to coat.
- Heat the grill to the highest level.
- Cook the fish cakes for 6-7 minutes on each side until hot and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, assemble the salad: Place the lettuce, green beans, black olives and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil from the olives and vinegar over it and mix.
- Divide between 4 plates.
- Peel and quarter the eggs, then add a fish cake and 4 egg quarters to each salad.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the tuna cake niçoise salad you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- mixing bowl
- Non-stick frying pan
This recipe for Tuna Cake Niçoise Salad contains the following allergens:
Before preparing or consuming the dish, please ensure that you or your guests are not allergic to any of these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Tuna Cake Niçoise Salad, follow these storage guidelines:
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Refrigerate within 2 hours of cooking.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- When reheating, ensure the dish is heated thoroughly before consumption.
The health benefits of tuna cake niçoise salad
Tuna Cake Niçoise Salad is not only a delicious Mediterranean-inspired dish, but also an extremely nutritious meal. Packed with essential vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids, this recipe offers numerous health benefits for those who enjoy it.
Potatoes for energy and digestive health
The recipe calls for 300g of potatoes, which serve as the basis for the fish cakes. Potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates and provide the body with energy for daily activities. They also contain fiber, which aids digestion and promotes regular bowel movements.
Eggs for proteins and nutrients
With 4 eggs in the recipe, this dish becomes an excellent source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting immune function, and producing enzymes and hormones. Eggs are also rich in essential nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin D and selenium, which contribute to overall health.
Green beans as antioxidants
Adding 200g of green beans adds both color and health benefits to the salad. Green beans are a low-calorie vegetable that are a good source of antioxidants such as vitamin C and beta-carotene. These antioxidants protect the body from free radicals, reduce the risk of chronic diseases and promote healthy skin.
Tuna for omega-3 fatty acids
The star of this dish is the sustainably sourced tuna. A 225g jar of MSC certified albacore tuna provides a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, particularly EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). These omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation, supporting heart health, and improving brain function.
Vegetables for vitamins and minerals
This salad contains various vegetables including 2 torn romaine lettuce, 140g black olives in olive oil and 4 quartered tomatoes. This vegetable is rich in essential vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K, as well as minerals such as potassium and magnesium. Eating a diverse selection of vegetables contributes to a balanced diet and provides the body with the nutrients it needs.
White or red wine vinegar for digestion and flavor
The dressing for this salad contains 3 tablespoons of white or red wine vinegar, which not only adds a tangy flavor but also offers potential digestive benefits. Vinegar has been proven to help control blood sugar levels and improve satiety, making it a valuable addition to a balanced meal.
Overall, the Tuna Cake Niçoise Salad provides a combination of protein, healthy fats and a range of essential nutrients. By incorporating this recipe into your diet, you can enjoy a delicious meal while reaping the many health benefits it has to offer.