If you’re looking for a spicy slice, try this deliciously moist and gooey ginger cake. Packed with three types of ginger, this cake is a flavor explosion that will tantalize your taste buds. The combination of ground ginger, crystallized ginger, and ginger syrup gives this cake a deep, warming spiciness that’s perfectly balanced by the sweetness of soft brown sugar and molasses. With its rich and moist texture, every bite of this triple ginger cake is a heavenly delight. Treat yourself to a piece of this irresistible treat and fill your senses with spicy deliciousness.
- 250g pack of butter
- 250g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 250 g black treacle
- 300 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml glazed ginger from a jar, finely chopped
- 375g flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tbsp ginger syrup from the jar
- 5 tbsp icing mix
- Butter and line a 23cm square baking tin (or use a shallow roasting tin (approx 30cm x 20cm)).
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3.
- Place butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan and heat gently until butter and sugar are melted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk.
- The mixture should be just warm to the touch; If not, let it cool a little longer and then stir in the eggs.
- Mix the chopped ginger and dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Pour the melted mixture into the well and then, using a wooden spoon, gradually fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until you have a thick, smooth dough.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour until the dough has risen and feels firm.
- Avoid taking a look beforehand; The cake will sink if the oven temperature drops too quickly before it is baked through.
- Insert a skewer into the center to check for doneness – it should come out clean.
- If not, wait another 10 minutes and check again.
- Let the cake cool in the tin.
- Once completely cool, unmold for frosting or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in a cool, dry place for up to a week.
- To make the glaze, sift the powdered sugar into a bowl and add the ginger syrup.
- Beat well until you have a smooth, runny glaze.
- Once cake has cooled, drizzle with frosting and cut into squares.
- If you plan to let the cake age for a while, make the frosting the day you plan to cut it.
Equipment and tools
To make this Triple Ginger Spice Cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or hand mixer
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- 9-inch round cake pan
- parchment paper
- Cooling rack
- Sharp knife
This triple ginger spice cake recipe contains the following allergens:
It may also contain traces of nuts. Please check your ingredient labels to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
How to Store This Triple Ginger Spice Cake:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
- You can store it at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
If you have leftovers, you can:
- Wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw the slices at room temperature before enjoying.
Enjoy your delicious Triple Ginger Spice Cake!
Health Benefits of Triple Ginger & Spice Cake
The Triple Ginger & Spice Cake not only delights your taste buds with its rich flavors but also offers numerous health benefits. Packed with healthy ingredients, this cake offers a nutritional balance that can have a positive impact on your overall well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of each ingredient:
Butter is a concentrated source of energy and provides essential fatty acids necessary for proper brain function. Although it should be consumed in moderation, it adds moisture and a creamy consistency to the cake.
2. Dark brown muscovado sugar
Dark brown muscovado sugar contains trace minerals such as calcium, potassium, iron and magnesium. Although it is still a form of sugar and should be consumed sparingly, its rich aroma enhances the flavor of the cake.
3. Black treacle
Black treacle, made from sugar cane, is a great natural source of iron. Iron is essential for the production of red blood cells and helps transport oxygen throughout the body. Incorporating black treacle into the cake adds depth and complexity to the flavor.
Milk is an excellent source of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth. It also contains important nutrients such as vitamin D, potassium and phosphorus. The milk in this cake contributes to its moist and tender texture.
Eggs are a complete protein and therefore a valuable ingredient for muscle growth and repair. They are also rich in vitamins A, B12, D and E, as well as minerals such as selenium and choline.
6. Glace Ginger
Glacé ginger from a jar not only adds a zesty touch to the cake, but also offers potential health benefits. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and can aid digestion, relieve nausea, and soothe sore muscles.
7. Plain flour
Plain flour provides carbohydrates, which are a primary source of energy for the body. It also contains small amounts of protein and fiber.
8. Bicarbonate of soda
Sodium bicarbonate, commonly known as baking powder, is used as a leavening agent in baking. It helps the cake rise and ensures a soft and fluffy consistency.
Allspice is a spice made from dried unripe berries of the Pimenta dioica plant. It contains antioxidants and may have antibacterial properties. Allspice adds warmth and complexity to the cake’s flavor profile.
10. Ground ginger
In addition to contributing to the cake’s distinctive ginger flavor, ground ginger also offers potential health benefits. Ginger is known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which can help reduce inflammation and promote digestive health.
11. Ginger syrup
Ginger syrup, obtained from ginger root, gives the cake sweetness and an intense ginger flavor. It may also offer the same potential health benefits as ginger, including anti-inflammatory and digestive properties.
12. Glaze Mix
Frosting mix is a combination of powdered sugar and other ingredients used for cake toppings. Although it adds sweetness and visual appeal to the cake, it should be consumed in moderation due to its high sugar content.
The combination of these ingredients makes the Triple Ginger & Spice Cake more than just a delicious treat. It offers a variety of nutrients and potential health benefits that make it a delicious choice to enjoy.