Why not turn this cake into a dessert?
Treat yourself to the delicious combination of tangy oranges and gorgeous poppy seeds in Tom’s Orange & Poppyseed Cake. This succulent and flavorful treat is perfect for any occasion, from a casual afternoon tea to an elegant dinner party. The zesty citrus notes wonderfully complement the subtle crunch of the poppy seeds and create a harmonious blend of flavors. Pair it with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream for a delicious dessert that’s sure to impress your guests. Step up your baking game with this delicious twist on a classic cake recipe!
- 2 medium oranges
- 350g powdered sugar
- 150g self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 150g ground almonds
- 2½ tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 medium eggs
- 175g powdered sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- Juice and grated zest of 1 large orange and 1 lemon
- 100g powdered sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to fan oven 160°C/bottom heat 180°C/gas 4.
- Cut the unpeeled oranges into thin slices and then put them in a saucepan with 400 ml of water and the sugar.
- Stir everything together and poach the oranges, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes, until the pulp feels soft to the touch with a sharp knife.
- Take it from the stove and let it cool off.
- Grease and line a 20cm springform tin and place the prettiest poached orange slices (about seven) on the bottom.
- Strain the remaining orange slices, reserving the poaching liquid.
- Puree 100g of oranges with 75ml of the liquid until smooth (a hand blender works great for this).
- For the cake, mix the flour, baking powder, almonds and poppy seeds and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs with the powdered sugar until the mixture resembles soft whipped cream. This takes 5-7 minutes.
- Immediately fold in the orange puree very carefully with a spatula so that all the air does not come out.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the foamy orange mixture, stopping once everything is combined.
- Gently pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Test with a skewer – if it comes out clean from the center, the cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin.
- When the cake has cooled, turn it out so that the orange slices are on top.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the curd.
- Whisk the eggs with the orange and lemon juice and strain into a bowl.
- Add the sugar, butter, and orange and lemon zest, then place the bowl over a saucepan one-third full of simmering water.
- Stir over the heat until the mixture thickens – it’s ready when it thickly coats the back of your spoon (this can take up to 30 minutes, so be patient).
- Let cool down.
- Cut the cake twice crosswise into three sections.
- Brush the middle and bottom layers with some of the remaining syrup.
- Divide the curds into layers, spread them out, and then place all three sections together.
- Brush the top with more syrup.
- Let the cake rest for a few hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Equipment and tools
Here are the equipment and tools you need to make Tom’s Orange Poppy Seed Cake:
- mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Round cake tin
- parchment paper
- Cooling rack
Please note: This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to make the cake in advance, here are some storage tips:
- Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- If desired, you can refrigerate the cake for a longer shelf life, but this may affect the consistency.
- Freeze individual slices wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 3 months.
- Thaw frozen slices overnight in the refrigerator before eating.
Health Benefits of Tom’s Orange Poppy Seed Cake
Oranges are known for their high vitamin C content, which is essential for maintaining a healthy immune system. Tom’s Orange Poppy Seed Cake contains the juice and grated zest of a large orange, providing a refreshing citrus flavor and an extra dose of vitamin C. Incorporating oranges into your diet can help protect against common illnesses and promote overall well-being.
Poppy seeds not only give Tom’s cakes a delicious crunch, but also have numerous health benefits. These tiny seeds are rich in essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, which are crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth. They also contain healthy fats that can support cardiovascular health. Including poppy seeds in your diet can help ensure balanced nutrient intake.
Ground almonds, used as an ingredient in Tom’s cakes, are a good source of healthy fats, fiber and proteins. Eating almonds regularly can help control weight and reduce the risk of heart disease. In addition, almonds are rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. Adding ground almonds to the cake not only improves its taste and texture but also provides several health benefits.
The use of powdered sugar in moderation is recommended. Although it adds sweetness to the cake, it is important to consume added sugar in limited amounts. Excessive sugar consumption can lead to weight gain, dental problems and an increased risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. Balanced and mindful consumption is the key to enjoying desserts like Tom’s Orange Poppy Seed Cake.
Finally, the eggs and butter used in the recipe provide important nutrients and healthy fats. Eggs are an excellent source of high-quality protein and contain various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin D and choline. When consumed in moderation, butter can be part of a healthy diet as it contains fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A and vitamin E. However, it is important to pay attention to portion sizes to ensure a balanced intake.
Overall, Tom’s Orange Poppy Seed Cake offers a delicious flavor combination while offering some health benefits. As with any dessert, it is important to consume this cake in moderation as part of a balanced diet. By incorporating nutritious ingredients such as oranges, poppy seeds, ground almonds and eggs, this cake can be enjoyed guilt-free while still contributing to a balanced intake of essential nutrients.