This easy-to-make tomato tart is a fun way to get kids ages 8 to 14 involved in the kitchen. It not only teaches them basic cooking skills, but also encourages creativity and experimentation. The buttery crust goes perfectly with the juicy tomatoes, while the addition of herbs and cheese adds a flavorful touch. With simple instructions and a quick bake time, it’s a delicious and filling treat the whole family can enjoy. So round up your little chefs and embark on a delicious cooking adventure with this delicious tomato tart recipe!
- 4 tbsp soft cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 8 ripe tomatoes
- 375g puff pastry
- flour for rolling
- Anchovies or olives to decorate if desired
- Piece of Parmesan
- Ask an adult helper to turn the oven on to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Mix the soft cheese with the mustard in a small bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes into thick slices.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle – don’t worry if the edges are uneven.
- Lift the dough onto a baking tray.
- Now cut off any really wobbly parts.
- Mark a two-finger-thick border around the edge.
- Spread the soft cheese inside the edge and spread the tomato slices on top.
- Decorate with anchovies or olives (if using).
- Grate the Parmesan all over.
- Ask an adult to place the tart in the oven for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the tomatoes are cooked through.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this tomato tart you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking tray
- parchment paper
- rolling pin
- tablespoons and teaspoons
- Small bowl
- Pastry brush
Please note the following allergen information when making this tomato tart recipe:
- This recipe contains dairy products (soft cheese and parmesan).
- Due to the use of puff pastry, it may also contain gluten.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to store this tomato tart, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the tart to cool completely.
- Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place the tart in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Tomato Tart
Tomato tart is not only a delicious and visually appealing dish, but also offers numerous health benefits. From the juicy tomatoes to the tangy soft cheese, every ingredient in this recipe contributes to your overall well-being. Let’s explore some of the health benefits you can enjoy when you enjoy a slice of homemade tomato tart.
1. Abundance of vitamins and minerals
Tomatoes are full of important vitamins and minerals, making them a nutrient-rich addition to your diet. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, folic acid and vitamin K. Vitamin C supports your immune system, potassium helps regulate blood pressure, folic acid supports cell production and vitamin K promotes bone health.
2. Antioxidant-rich ingredients
The ripe tomatoes used in this recipe are rich in antioxidants that help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body. These antioxidants, including lycopene, protect against cell damage and inflammation, reduce the risk of chronic disease, and contribute to the overall health of your skin, heart, and eyes.
3. Good source of fiber
Tomato tart also provides a good amount of fiber thanks to the addition of puff pastry and tomatoes. Fiber plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy digestion, preventing constipation and controlling blood sugar levels. A diet high in fiber also helps control weight and reduces the risk of heart disease.
4. Calcium and protein from cheese
The soft cheese used in the tomato tart gives the dish a creamy consistency and a portion of calcium and protein. Calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth, while protein is essential for the growth and repair of body tissues. Including cheese in your diet can also help maintain healthy blood pressure.
5. Versatile and low calorie option
Despite the rich flavors and satisfying taste, a tomato tart can be a relatively low-calorie dish if prepared carefully. When consumed in moderation, puff pastry is a lighter alternative to traditional cake bases. By using a moderate amount of soft cheese and toppings like anchovies or olives, you can enjoy a nutritious meal without the guilt.
So next time you want to prepare a delicious and healthy dish, consider making a tomato tart. Enjoy the taste while reaping the benefits of good nutrition. Your taste buds and body will thank you!