Spice up a vegetarian casserole with spicy North African flavors and savory cheese dumplings. This tomato harissa stew is a delicious combination of rich tomatoes, aromatic spices, and smoky harissa paste. The cheddar dumplings add a delicious cheesy touch, making it a comforting and filling meal. The stew simmers slowly so the flavors meld while the dumplings on top bake to perfection. Serve this tasty dish on a cozy evening and enjoy the warmth and comfort it brings. Perfect for anyone looking for a tasty, meat-free option!
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, cut into thick slices
- 400 g can of plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp harissa
- 2 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced thickly
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 cube of vegetable broth
- 25g butter, diced
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 75 g extra mature cheddar, finely grated
- 100 ml milk
- Heat the oil in a large, wide-lidded baking dish.
- Saute onion and celery for 5 minutes until softened and starting to color.
- Add the tomatoes and a can of water.
- Stir in the harissa, zucchini and chickpeas and sprinkle in the stock cube.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are almost tender, 18 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Rub the butter into the flour and baking powder with a good pinch of salt.
- Mix in the cheese with a round knife.
- Two minutes before the stew is ready, pour the milk into the dumpling mixture and stir with a knife to form a dough.
- Put the dough on the work surface (you don’t need to flour it), shape it slightly into a sausage and cut it into 8 equal pieces.
- Place the dumplings on top of the stew.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- frying pan
- Sharp knife
- wooden spoon
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (cheddar)
Please be sure to check ingredient labels for potential allergens if you or any of your guests have dietary restrictions or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply warm the stew in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through. The dumplings are best enjoyed immediately and may not reheat as well.
The Health Benefits of Tomato Harissa Stew with Cheddar Dumplings
Tomato Harissa Stew with Cheddar Dumplings is not only a delicious and comforting dish but also full of health benefits. This flavorful stew brings together the rich flavors of tomatoes, harissa, zucchini and chickpeas, while the cheddar dumplings add a cheesy touch to the overall flavor.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Tomatoes, a key ingredient in this stew, are known for their high antioxidant content. They are a rich source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that may help protect against certain cancers, heart disease and age-related macular degeneration.
2. Promotes digestion
The celery sticks included in this recipe are known for their high fiber content and can promote healthy digestion. Fiber is essential for maintaining regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. Additionally, the soluble fiber in chickpeas supports the growth of beneficial gut bacteria and contributes to overall digestive health.
3. Supports heart health
The combination of ingredients in this hearty stew helps support heart health. Harissa, a spicy paste made from chili peppers, contains capsaicin, which is said to have cardiovascular effects. Additionally, the potassium content in tomatoes and zucchini may help regulate blood pressure.
4. Provides essential nutrients
This stew is packed with essential nutrients that contribute to a balanced diet. Zucchini, also known as zucchini, is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as magnesium and potassium. Chickpeas are rich in protein and provide good amounts of folate, iron and manganese. In addition, the cheddar dumplings provide a portion of calcium, protein and vitamin B12.
5. Satisfying and low in calories
Despite its rich and comforting flavor, Tomato Harissa Stew with Cheddar Dumplings is a relatively low-calorie dish. This makes it a great option for anyone looking to satisfy their hunger without exceeding their calorie intake. The high fiber and protein content of the stew also contributes to a feeling of fullness and satiety.
With its incredible flavor and numerous health benefits, Tomato Harissa Stew with Cheddar Dumplings is a delicious meal that nourishes the body and soul. So why not try this recipe and enjoy a healthy and hearty dish that will leave you wanting more?