Intensify the flavor of your dishes with our homemade tomato chili harissa. This delicious Middle Eastern spice paste offers a versatile solution for using up a surplus of fresh vegetables. Transform your marinades, Moroccan tagines and soups into culinary masterpieces or even create delicious dips that will leave your guests wanting more. Enjoy the unique and vibrant flavor profile of this authentic recipe that adds a fiery and aromatic note to any meal. Improve your cooking skills with our easy-to-follow instructions and discover the thrill of exploring Middle Eastern cuisine from the comfort of your own home.
- 1 teaspoon each of caraway and coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 100 ml olive oil, plus a little more
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled but kept whole
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 500g tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 red chilies, deseeded (if you like it very fiery, you can use more chilies and leave the seeds in)
- 1 tsp rose water (optional)
- Heat the spice seeds in a dry pan until lightly toasted and aromatic, then lightly crush them with a mortar.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add garlic, toasted spices, peppers, tomatoes and chilies.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the tomato flesh has reduced to a paste and the garlic is tender – this will take about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the rose water (if using).
- Puree with a hand blender or pulse in a food processor until a coarse paste forms.
- Place a spoonful in a sterilized jar and pour some oil over the surface to completely cover it.
- Will last for several months in the refrigerator if you cover the surface with oil after each use.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the tomato chili harissa recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Pestle and mortar
- frying pan
- Blender or food processor
- cutting board
The Tomato & Chili Harissa recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
After you make the tomato chili harissa, you can store it in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. It can also be frozen for longer storage.
If you have leftovers, you can use them as a flavorful condiment or flavoring in various dishes such as stews, roasted vegetables, or grilled meats.
Be sure to always label the jar or container with the date to keep track of freshness.
Health Benefits of Tomato and Chili Harissa
Tomato & Chilli Harissa is an aromatic spice that not only adds a spicy and smoky flavor to your dishes but also offers several health benefits. Made from a combination of spices, tomatoes and chilies, this harissa sauce is a great addition to your culinary creations. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of its main ingredients:
Cumin seeds, used in small amounts in Tomato & Chilli Harissa, are a rich source of fiber. They promote healthy digestion by preventing constipation and supporting intestinal activity. Cumin seeds are also known for their antiseptic properties and are traditionally used to relieve digestive discomfort such as gas and bloating.
2. Coriander seeds
Coriander seeds not only provide a special taste, but also offer various health benefits. They are packed with antioxidants that help fight inflammation and oxidative stress in the body. Additionally, coriander seeds have been found to aid digestion, lower cholesterol, and maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
3. Cumin seeds
Cumin seeds give harissa sauce a warm and earthy flavor. They are a rich source of iron and can help prevent iron deficiency anemia. Cumin seeds are also known for their digestive properties and can relieve indigestion by stimulating the production of digestive enzymes.
4. Olive oil
Olive oil serves as the base of tomato chili harissa and offers numerous health benefits. It is rich in monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease and lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. In addition, olive oil is a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects the body from oxidative damage.
The inclusion of tomatoes in the harissa sauce provides a spicy and sweet taste. Tomatoes are a valuable source of vitamins A and C as well as lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Lycopene has been linked to a reduced risk of certain cancers such as prostate and breast cancer. Tomatoes also contain potassium, which is essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure.
6. Red chilies
Red chilies give the harissa sauce its characteristic spiciness. They contain a compound called capsaicin, which is responsible for their spiciness and also offers several health benefits. Capsaicin has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help relieve pain. It can also boost metabolism and aid weight management.
Remember: If you prefer a milder taste, you can deseed the red chili peppers or reduce their quantity in the harissa sauce. So enjoy the taste of Tomato & Chilli Harissa while reaping its health benefits.