Introducing our delicious toffee apple squares! This delicious treat has a crumb-like base that is both buttery and irresistibly sweet. Garnished with a delicious layer of gooey caramel and crunchy nuts, every bite is pure bliss. But wait, there’s more! We added juicy, flavorful apples to the mix, giving this dessert a refreshing twist. Served warm or cold, these squares are perfect for a heavenly sweet treat that will leave you wanting more. Prepare to fall in love with our unique twist on the classic sticky toffee pudding!
- 950g apples, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced
- Squeeze well lemon juice
- some powdered sugar to taste
- 100g powdered sugar
- 250g pack of butter, diced
- 100g ground rice
- 200g plain flour
- 397g can of condensed milk
- 85g butter
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- a few pinches of sea salt
- 25g cornflakes
- 100g pecans, very coarsely chopped
- 100 g roasted whole almonds
- Put the apples in a pot with the lemon juice and 4 tablespoons of water.
- Cook gently, partially covered, until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Taste it and add a little sugar if needed – but you’ll want it a little spicier to balance out the sweetness of the topping.
- Let cool down.
- For the base, puree everything in a food processor.
- If you don’t have any, rub the butter into the flour to form crumbs, then stir in the sugar and ground rice.
- Line the bottom of an 18 x 28 cm baking pan with baking paper and press the dough into the bottom.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Bake the base until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- Spread the cooled apples on the base.
- For the topping, put condensed milk, butter and sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat to melt the sugar and butter, then reduce the heat and let it bubble until a pale caramel color, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt, cornflakes and nuts.
- Pour over the apples and gently spread until covered.
- Return to the oven for another 15-22 minutes until the topping is golden brown and crispy.
- Allow to cool in the tin and then cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Equipment and tools
To make these delicious toffee apple squares you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Baking dish (approx. 9×13 inches)
- Measuring cups and spoons
Before making this recipe, please note the following allergen information:
- This recipe contains dairy products (butter, condensed milk).
- This recipe may contain nuts (pecans, almonds). If you are allergic, please leave it out or replace with allergy-safe alternatives.
- Check the labels of all store-bought ingredients for possible allergens.
Storage and leftovers
These toffee apple squares can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To preserve their freshness, separate each layer with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Alternatively, you can store them in the refrigerator to extend their shelf life.
If you have leftover squares, you can also freeze them. Place each square in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag, separating each layer with parchment paper. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator before enjoying them.
Health Benefits of Toffee Apple Squares
Toffee apple squares are a delicious and indulgent treat that people of all ages can enjoy. While they may not be the healthiest option, these squares have some surprising health benefits thanks to their key ingredients. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and the health benefits they offer.
The first main ingredient in toffee apple squares is eating apples. Apples are rich in fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and can prevent constipation. They are also a great source of antioxidants, particularly polyphenols, which have been linked to reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke and certain cancers. Eating apples can also help with weight control because they are low in calories and can increase feelings of satiety.
In this recipe, a small squeeze of lemon juice is added to the apples. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, an essential nutrient that plays an important role in boosting the immune system and promoting healthy skin. Vitamin C is also important for the absorption of iron from plant foods, making it a great addition to this recipe.
Butter is used for both the crust and the toffee layer of these squares. Although butter is high in saturated fat, which should be consumed in moderation, it provides small amounts of fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E, and K. Additionally, the fat content in butter helps enhance the flavor and texture of these squares , which makes eating more pleasant.
Condensed milk is a key ingredient in the toffee layer of these squares. Although condensed milk is high in sugar, it also contains important vitamins and minerals such as calcium, vitamin B12 and phosphorus. However, due to its high sugar content, it should be consumed sparingly as part of a balanced diet.
Pecans and whole almonds
Pecans and whole almonds are added to give the squares a crunchy and nutty texture. Both pecans and almonds are an excellent source of healthy fats, including monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These fats can contribute to heart health and help lower bad cholesterol levels. Nuts also contain fiber, protein, and various vitamins and minerals, making them a nutritious addition to this treat.
Although toffee apple squares are not a healthy food, these ingredients offer some surprising health benefits. Remember to enjoy these squares in moderation as part of a balanced diet for a sweet treat that can still contribute to your overall well-being.