Try a lighter, modern version of this ever-popular retro starter. Dive into the ultimate makeover of the classic shrimp cocktail recipe that will leave you wanting more. With a modern twist, this revamped dish offers a refreshing and satisfying treat for your taste buds.
- 650 g prawns in shell, cooked (yields 200 g cooked, peeled prawns)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 100g cucumber
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 50g watercress
- a pinch of cayenne pepper for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 5 tbsp cream cheese
- 1½ tbsp tomato ketchup
- Drizzle Tabasco sauce
- Drizzle Worcestershire sauce on top
- 1 tsp brandy
- Peel shrimp.
- Rinse them in a large sieve under a cold tap and then pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the shrimp in a shallow bowl.
- Squeeze 1 tablespoon of lime juice and add a pinch of pepper. Put aside.
- Cut the cucumber into small cubes.
- Place the cucumber cubes in a bowl.
- Pour the vinegar over it.
- Sprinkle the dill and a pinch of pepper on top.
- Put aside.
- Halve, stone and peel the avocado.
- Cut the avocado into small cubes.
- Pour the remaining lime juice over it and mix carefully with a pinch of pepper.
- For the sauce, mix mayonnaise, cream cheese and ketchup.
- Stir in Tabasco, Worcestershire and brandy with a pinch of pepper.
- To serve, place a small spoonful of the sauce in the bottom of each cocktail glass.
- Chop most of the watercress very roughly, leaving a few sprigs whole.
- Place the chopped watercress on top of the sauce.
- Drain the cucumber well.
- Add the cucumber and avocado over the watercress.
- Pile over the shrimp.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over it.
- Insert the watercress sprigs.
- Serve with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
This shrimp cocktail recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Shellfish (shrimp)
- Eggs (mayonnaise)
- Dairy products (cream cheese)
Please check the labels of your specific ingredients for possible allergens or consult a healthcare professional if you have any dietary questions.
Storage and leftovers
To store leftover shrimp cocktail, transfer it to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. To preserve freshness, it is best consumed within 1-2 days.
Health Benefits of “The Ultimate Makeover: Shrimp Cocktail”
Shrimp cocktail is a classic dish that’s given a healthier twist in this recipe. Not only does it satisfy your craving for a delicious appetizer, but it also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s explore the nutritional value of the ingredients:
Shrimp is low in calories and high in protein, making it an excellent choice for weight management. They are also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which promote heart health by reducing inflammation and improving cholesterol levels.
Lime juice is packed with vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports the immune system and helps form collagen, promoting healthy skin and tissue. It also aids digestion and can help with weight loss.
Cucumbers are low in calories and have a high water content, making them a hydrating and refreshing addition to this shrimp cocktail. They are also a good source of vitamins K and C, as well as potassium, which supports heart health.
Avocado is a nutrient-dense fruit that provides healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats, which are beneficial for heart health. It is also a great source of fiber, vitamins K and E, and various minerals.
Watercress is a green leafy vegetable rich in vitamins A, C and K. It is also rich in antioxidants and has been linked to a reduced risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and certain cancers.
Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin, which has been shown to boost metabolism and promote weight loss. It can also help reduce inflammation, relieve pain, and improve digestive health.
mayonnaise and cream cheese
Although mayonnaise and cream cheese are used in this recipe, they should be consumed in moderation due to their calorie and fat content. Opting for reduced-fat options can help reduce overall calorie intake.
Tomato ketchup adds flavor to shrimp cocktail and provides a small amount of antioxidants from tomatoes. However, due to the added sugar content, it is important to use it sparingly.
Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce contribute to the spicy and spicy flavor of the shrimp cocktail. Although they add flavor, they should be used in moderation due to their high sodium content.
A small amount of brandy is used in this recipe to enhance the overall flavor. However, alcohol should be consumed in moderation and is not suitable for everyone, including pregnant women and people with certain health problems.
This revamped shrimp cocktail recipe combines delicious flavors with multiple health benefits. It is a good source of proteins, heart-healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. Enjoy this makeover version without feeling guilty!