The ultimate makeover: Potato Dauphinoise is a delicious dish with a healthy twist. By using crème fraîche, broth, and semi-skimmed milk instead of traditional ingredients, this recipe gives you all the flavors you love while being a healthier option. Creamy and indulgent, this version of Dauphinoise is a guilt-free treat for your palate. Every bite is packed with comforting flavors and a creamy texture that will leave you wanting more. Try this makeover recipe today and treat yourself to a healthier version of the classic potato dauphinoise.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 150 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 thick garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 4 sprigs of thyme, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 kg waxy potatoes (try Desirée)
- 140 g full-fat crème fraîche
- 75 ml vegetable broth (marigold bouillon)
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 25g Gruyère or vegetarian alternative, grated
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Brush the bottom and sides of a 25 x 19 x 5 cm ovenproof dish with the oil.
- Place milk, garlic, 4 sprigs of thyme, bay leaf and shallot in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a brief boil and then remove it from the heat.
- Add the nutmeg and some pepper to the mixture and set aside to steep.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into very thin slices.
- Pat the potato slices dry.
- Place half of the potato slices in the dish, slightly overlapping them, and season with salt and pepper.
- Strain the infused milk mixture into a pitcher.
- Place the crème fraîche in a bowl and gradually add the milk and stir until smooth.
- Add broth and thyme leaves to milk mixture.
- Return the liquid to the pitcher.
- Pour half of the liquid over the potatoes in the mold.
- Layer the remaining potato slices on top.
- Pour the remaining liquid over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle grated cheese and a pinch of pepper on top.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for 1¼-1½ hours, until golden brown and tender.
- Test the potatoes by inserting a sharp knife into them.
- Let the dish stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with thyme sprigs before serving.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking pan
This recipe may contain allergens. Please refer to the ingredient list and note the following:
- Dairy products: Full-fat crème fraîche, Gruyère
- Gluten: Marigold bouillon (look for gluten-free version if needed)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should be consumed within 2-3 days.
To reheat leftovers, you can either use the microwave or heat them in the preheated oven until warmed through.
Health Benefits of The Ultimate Makeover: Potato Dauphinoise
The rich and creamy Potato Dauphinoise has undergone a healthy makeover while retaining its irresistible taste. This delicious dish combines the goodness of waxy potatoes, garlic, thyme, nutmeg, crème fraîche and vegetable broth into a delicious yet nutritious meal. Let’s explore the health benefits of its key ingredients:
Despite their reputation for being high in carbohydrates, potatoes offer numerous health benefits. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium and fiber. Potatoes also contain antioxidants that help protect against cell damage and support overall immune function.
Garlic not only adds wonderful flavor to dishes, but also has several health-promoting properties. It has been used for centuries for its antibacterial and antiviral properties. Garlic also contains compounds that may help lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and support heart health.
Thyme is a fragrant herb full of vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamin C, vitamin A, iron and manganese. Thyme also has antimicrobial properties and can help boost the immune system, relieve respiratory illnesses, and improve digestive health.
Even when used in small quantities, nutmeg adds depth of flavor to the dish. Nutmeg is traditionally used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine for its digestive and anti-inflammatory properties. It can also support brain health and improve mood.
5. Creme Fraiche:
Crème fraîche gives the potato dauphinoise a rich note, but can also be enjoyed in moderation. It is a good source of healthy fats and provides important nutrients such as vitamins A and D. However, due to its higher calorie content, it is advisable to choose the full-fat version sparingly.
6. Vegetable Broth:
By using vegetable broth instead of traditional chicken broth or bouillon, this recipe is also suitable for vegetarians. Vegetable broth adds depth to flavor and contributes to the overall nutritional profile of the dish. It is usually low in calories and a good source of vitamins and minerals.
7. Gruyere Cheese:
A pinch of Gruyère cheese gives the Potato Dauphinoise a delicious touch. Cheese, including Gruyère, is a good source of protein and calcium. However, due to its higher fat and calorie content, it is recommended to use it in moderation.
By using these carefully selected ingredients, the Ultimate Makeover: Potato Dauphinoise recipe not only offers a delicious culinary experience, but also a range of health benefits. Enjoy this delicious dish guilt-free, knowing that you are nourishing your body with healthy ingredients.