Treat yourself to the ultimate reinterpretation of an all-time buffet favorite, the onion tart, created by culinary genius Angela Nilsen. Experience the wonderful transformation as this popular dish takes on a healthier twist, perfect for the lively spring season. With every bite, you’ll savor the tantalizing flavors and textures while appreciating the nutritious ingredients that make this dish truly exceptional. Angela Nilsen’s onion tart is a culinary masterpiece that leaves you wanting more without feeling guilty. Treat yourself to this heavenly creation and embark on a journey full of taste and well-being.
- 2 large red onions (550g total weight), halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 medium eggs
- 200ml carton of semi-skimmed crème fraîche
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 25g Gruyere
- 175g self-raising flour
- 25 g cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 100g natural yogurt
- 4 tbsp partially skimmed milk
- Cut the onions into small, thin, wedge-shaped pieces.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a large, preferably non-stick frying or deep-frying pan.
- Stir in the onions and fry over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Stir only occasionally so that they can cook undisturbed and caramelize underneath.
- When done, they should be well caramelized and sticky.
- Meanwhile, prepare the base.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5 and place on a baking tray.
- Place the flour and butter in a bowl with a pinch of salt and rub together with your fingers until a coarse crumb forms.
- Mix the yogurt and milk together, add to the flour mixture and stir briefly with a knife until the dough just comes together.
- Remove from the bowl and gently press together to form a ball.
- Do not overwork the mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough thinly and use it to line a 9-inch, loose-bottomed, round, fluted cake pan about 1 inch deep. Press it into the grooves with your fingers.
- Put the can on. If the dough is a little sticky, dust your fingers with a little flour.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl, then stir in the crème fraîche, thyme, mustard and spices.
- Place half of the onions on the baking paper-lined base and spread, season with pepper and then sprinkle over half of the cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top and then sprinkle the remaining onions and cheese on top.
- Place the dish on the hot baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes until the base and filling are cooked through.
- Remove and let cool for about 10 minutes, then remove from the mold and serve fresh and warm.
Equipment and tools
To make this onion cake recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Sharp knife
- frying pan
- rolling pin
- Quiche/tart mold (approx. 23 cm)
- baking paper
- Baking beans or dried legumes
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
This onion tart recipe contains the following allergens:
- Cheese (Gruyere)
- Wheat (self-raising flour)
Storage and leftovers
Once cooked, this onion tart can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Leftovers can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Allow the tart to cool completely before wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap or placing it in a freezer bag. To defrost, simply place in the refrigerator overnight.
Health Benefits of The Ultimate Makeover: Onion Tart
If you are a fan of tart recipes and want to eat healthier without compromising on taste, then The Ultimate Makeover: Onion Tart is the perfect dish for you. Packed with flavorful ingredients that are not only delicious but also provide numerous health benefits, this recipe is sure to conquer your taste buds while keeping your body happy.
Red Onions – Rich in antioxidants and nutrients
Two large red onions form the base of this delicious tart. Red onions not only give the dish a sweet but slightly spicy taste, but are also very nutritious. They are rich in antioxidants, especially quercetin, which helps fight oxidative stress and reduce inflammation in the body. In addition, red onions contain important minerals and vitamins such as vitamin C and folic acid.
Canola oil – a heart-healthy choice
The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of canola oil, which is known for its favorable ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. This oil is considered heart-healthy because it can help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. It is also a great source of vitamin E and antioxidants, which contribute to overall well-being.
Eggs – protein powerhouses
Two medium-sized eggs not only add structure to the cake, but also provide a good amount of protein. Eggs are considered a complete source of protein, meaning they contain all the essential amino acids the body needs. Protein plays a critical role in building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle health, and maintaining a strong immune system.
Half-fat crème fraîche – creaminess without the guilt
Instead of cream, this recipe uses a 200ml carton of semi-skimmed crème fraîche. This alternative gives the cake a creamy consistency and at the same time significantly reduces the saturated fatty acid content. You can enjoy the richness without feeling guilty and still give the dish a delicious taste.
Thyme leaves and Dijon mustard – tasty and immunity-boosting
The cake contains 1 teaspoon each of thyme leaves and Dijon mustard. Both ingredients not only improve taste but also provide health benefits. Thyme contains vitamins C and A, which contribute to a stronger immune system, while Dijon mustard is rich in minerals and antioxidants that may help protect against chronic diseases.
Gruyere cheese – a good source of calcium
This recipe contains 25g of Gruyère cheese, which gives the tart a savory taste. Gruyère is a great source of calcium, which is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth. It also contains protein and other essential minerals such as phosphorus and zinc.
Self-rising flour, cold butter, natural yogurt and semi-skimmed milk
The remaining ingredients in the cake base, including 175 g self-raising flour, 25 g cold butter, 100 g natural yogurt and 4 tablespoons of semi-skimmed milk, form the basis for this delicious dish. While they don’t offer any specific health benefits like the other ingredients mentioned, they do contribute to the overall texture and flavor of the cake.
With its combination of healthy ingredients, The Ultimate Makeover: Onion Tart is a nutritious and filling meal that you can enjoy guilt-free. It proves that healthy eating can still be delicious and enjoyable!