Get ready for the ultimate chocolate chip cookie makeover! Angela Nilsen, the mastermind behind this recipe, has tried her best to create a lighter version without sacrificing the irresistible chocolate taste. Each cookie is a guilt-free treat because it only contains 97 calories. Treat yourself to these delicious treats without worrying about your waistline. These cookies are the perfect combination of taste and health!
- 85g butter
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 85g light muscovado sugar
- 25g golden granulated sugar
- 85g dark chocolate, about 70% cocoa (we used Lindt as it keeps its shape when baking)
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 140g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Line a few baking sheets with baking paper.
- Place butter, cocoa and coffee in a medium saucepan and heat gently until butter is melted.
- Remove from the heat, stir in both types of sugar and let cool.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces.
- Beat egg and vanilla into cooled butter mixture until smooth.
- Mix flour and baking soda. Add it to the batter mixture along with two-thirds of the chocolate, then stir gently. Don’t mix too much.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes to firm up slightly and be ready to shape.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into 22 small balls.
- Place them on the parchment-lined baking sheets, well spaced apart so they have room to spread out (you may need to bake them in batches).
- Press remaining chocolate chips onto each cookie.
- Can be frozen on leaves at this stage for up to a month and then transferred to bags.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Let rest on the trays for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Equipment and tools
Before you begin, gather the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Baking paper or silicone mat
- Wire cooling rack
- measuring spoon
Please note the following allergen information for this recipe:
- Contains dairy products (butter and chocolate)
- Contains eggs
- Contains gluten (flour)
Storage and leftovers
These chocolate chip cookies are best enjoyed fresh from the oven, when they are still warm and gooey. If there are any leftovers, follow these storage instructions:
- Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
- If you prefer a warm cookie, reheat it in the microwave for a few seconds before serving.
The Health Benefits of “The Ultimate Makeover: Chocolate Chip Cookies”
Who doesn’t love a freshly baked batch of chocolate chip cookies? The smell that fills the kitchen, the gooey chocolate chips that melt in your mouth – it’s a treat that’s hard to resist. But did you know that these classic cookies can also provide surprising health benefits? We’ve revised the traditional recipe to make them even more nutritious without compromising on taste. Let’s take a look at the health benefits of The Ultimate Makeover: Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Healthier butter alternative
Instead of using large amounts of butter, which can lead to high saturated fat levels, we reduced it to just 85g. Adding a moderate amount of high-quality butter can provide essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins. Choosing lighter options like low-fat spread can further reduce the overall fat content without sacrificing flavor.
A pinch of antioxidants
By adding 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to the recipe, we give the cookie a delicious depth of chocolate flavor and increase the antioxidant content of the cookie. Cocoa is rich in flavonoids, which have powerful antioxidant properties. These compounds help protect our bodies from free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
An energetic coffee kick
The addition of 1 teaspoon of instant coffee granules not only enhances the rich flavor of the cookies, but also provides a welcome boost of energy. Coffee contains caffeine, a natural stimulant that can improve mental alertness and increase physical performance. However, it is important to consume coffee in moderation as excessive consumption can lead to negative effects such as increased heart rate or insomnia.
Sweetness with a health twist
Instead of relying exclusively on refined sugar, we use a combination of light muscovado sugar and golden granulated sugar. Muscovado sugar retains more of the natural molasses, providing a richer flavor and additional minerals such as calcium, potassium and iron. Golden granulated sugar is less processed than white sugar, which helps preserve the nutrients found in sugarcane.
High quality dark chocolate
The use of dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa content, such as: B. Lindt, ensures a higher cocoa concentration and the associated health benefits. Dark chocolate is a rich source of flavonoids and minerals such as iron, magnesium and copper. These nutrients promote cardiovascular health by improving blood circulation, reducing inflammation and regulating blood pressure.
Nutrient-rich egg and vanilla
The addition of a medium egg and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract not only improves the texture and flavor of the cookies but also adds to their nutritional value. Eggs are packed with nutrients like protein, vitamins D and B12, and choline, which supports brain health. Vanilla extract, made from vanilla beans, contains antioxidants and provides a pleasant natural sweetness.
Fillers with benefits
The remaining ingredients, including 140g flour and half a teaspoon of baking soda, serve as fillers for the perfect cookie texture. Although they may not contribute significantly to the health benefits of cookies, they are still essential components in baking delicious treats for your enjoyment.
So why miss out on the pleasure of chocolate chip cookies when you can enjoy them and reap health benefits at the same time? Try our Ultimate Makeover: Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe and enjoy the perfect combination of flavor and nutrients!