Angela, an experienced baker, presents her latest creation: “The Ultimate Makeover: Chocolate Brownies.” With her innovative flair, she found a secret ingredient that miraculously reduces the fat content without compromising on taste. These delicious, rich treats will satisfy your chocolate cravings while keeping your waistline in check. Treat yourself to these brownies guilt-free and enjoy the perfect balance of health and decadence.
- 85 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa, chopped into small pieces
- 85g flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 100g golden powdered sugar
- 50 g light muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 100g mayonnaise (I used Hellman’s)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Pour enough water into a small pot to fill it one-third full.
- Bring the pot of water to the boil and then remove from the heat.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a large bowl that will fit snugly over the pan without touching the water.
- Place the bowl over the pot of hot water and allow the chocolate to slowly melt for a few minutes. Stir occasionally until evenly melted.
- Remove the bowl from the pan and let the chocolate cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, lightly oil and line the bottom of a 19cm square cake tin, 5cm deep.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- Stir both types of sugar into the cooled chocolate with a wooden spoon.
- Add coffee, vanilla and buttermilk to chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon warm water.
- Beat the egg and stir in, then stir in the mayonnaise until smooth and shiny.
- Sift the flour-cocoa mixture over the chocolate mixture and then gently fold in with a spatula without over-mixing.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly into the corners.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Insert a skewer into the center of the brownies. There should only be a few moist crumbs sticking to it.
- If you cook them too long, the brownies will dry out; If they are not cooked sufficiently, they can sink.
- Leave the brownies in the pan until they have completely cooled.
- Loosen the sides of the brownies with a round-bladed knife.
- Place the brownies on a board, peel off the baking paper and cut into 12 squares.
Equipment and tools
To make the ultimate makeover chocolate brownies, you’ll need the following equipment and tools:
- Small pot
- mixing bowl
- baking pan
- Wire frame
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (chocolate, buttermilk, mayonnaise)
Please make sure you or your guests are not allergic to any of these ingredients before preparing or consuming the chocolate brownies.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. To enjoy the brownies again, simply pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up or let them come to room temperature before serving.
The Health Benefits of “The Ultimate Makeover: Chocolate Brownies”
Treating yourself to a delicious chocolate brownie can be a guilty pleasure for many. However, with a few simple changes to the traditional recipe, you can transform this sweet treat into a healthier option. The Ultimate Makeover: Chocolate Brownies recipe not only satisfies your cravings but also offers some surprising health benefits.
Dark chocolate for antioxidants
One of the main ingredients of these brownies is dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants, especially flavonoids, which can protect the body from cell damage caused by harmful free radicals. These antioxidants may help reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases such as heart disease.
Fiber boost from pure flour
Using plain flour in this recipe provides a good source of fiber. Fiber aids in digestion, helps regulate blood sugar levels, and promotes satiety, which can be helpful in weight control. Additionally, a diet high in fiber has been linked to a lower risk of developing conditions such as heart disease, stroke and certain types of cancer.
Increased cocoa strength
Adding cocoa powder to these brownies not only enhances the rich chocolate flavor but also brings with it some health benefits. Cocoa powder is known to contain several minerals including iron, magnesium and potassium. These minerals are essential for overall health and contribute to proper muscle and nerve function, balanced blood pressure and improved cardiovascular health.
A surprising source of healthy fats – mayonnaise
Mayonnaise may not be the first ingredient that comes to mind when you think of healthy fats, but it’s a unique addition to this makeover recipe. The mayonnaise used is made from real ingredients like eggs and oil and is a source of monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats are considered heart-healthy because they can help lower bad cholesterol levels, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
Energy boost and nutrients from buttermilk
Using buttermilk in this recipe not only adds a tangy flavor but also provides some nutritional benefits. Buttermilk is a good source of several essential vitamins and minerals, including calcium, vitamin B12 and phosphorus. These nutrients are important for maintaining healthy bones, supporting red blood cell production, and supporting proper nerve function.
A deliciously satisfying way to pamper yourself
By transforming the traditional chocolate brownie into The Ultimate Makeover: Chocolate Brownies, you can enjoy a decadent treat without compromising your health goals. Incorporating dark chocolate, high-fiber flour, nutrient-dense cocoa powder, heart-healthy mayonnaise, and nutritious buttermilk, these brownies offer a delicious combination of flavor and nutrition. So, feel free to treat yourself to a bite of these delicious brownies without feeling guilty!