The Ultimate Makeover: Bread & Butter Pudding is a delicious dessert that will satisfy your sweet cravings. This updated version of the classic treat offers the same enjoyment, but with a remarkably reduced fat content, making it a guilt-free treat. The heavenly combination of light, fluffy bread and creamy deliciousness leaves you wanting more. Whether you’re a fan of the traditional recipe or looking for a healthier alternative, this delicious twist is sure to impress your taste buds. Treat yourself to this irresistible dessert without compromising on taste or your waistline!
- 50 g dried apricots, chopped
- 25g raisins
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp golden powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla pudding powder
- 350 ml semi-skimmed milk
- ½ vanilla bean, split
- Zest 1 small lemon and cut it into strips with a vegetable peeler
- 4 tablespoons half-fat crème fraîche
- 25 g butter, soft
- 4 medium-sized slices of good white bread with remaining crust, as if cut from a small white farmer’s loaf
- 1 tbsp apricot jam or jam
- ¼ tsp powdered sugar for sifting
- Place the apricots and raisins in a small bowl, pour over the brandy and allow to soak, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg and sugar in a medium bowl, then stir in the vanilla pudding powder with a whisk until smooth.
- Warm the milk in a small nonstick saucepan. Then, when it just comes to a boil, remove from the heat and slowly stir into the egg mixture.
- Scrape in the vanilla seeds, add the peeled lemon peel and vanilla pod and set aside to cool and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Stir the crème fraîche into the cooled milk.
- Strain this vanilla pudding through a sieve into a jug.
- Lightly grease a flat ovenproof dish (approx. 20 x 25 x 4.5 cm) with ¼ teaspoon of butter from the 25 g.
- Grease the bread on one side only with the remaining butter and then spread it over the jam or jam.
- Cut each slice into four triangles, then place half of the triangles in the pan, jam side up.
- Scatter half of the apricots and raisins on top, then place the rest of the bread on top, jam side up.
- Sprinkle the rest of the dried fruit and the unsoaked brandy on top, then pour half of the custard over the bread.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place the dish in a roasting pan.
- Pour the rest of the custard over the bread, press the bread lightly into the custard, and then fill the roasting pan halfway with hot water.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then increase the heat to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5 and bake for a further 5-10 minutes, until the top of the bread is crispy and golden brown.
- Remove and let the pudding rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Sift the powdered sugar over the top and serve warm.
The ultimate makeover: Bread & Butter Pudding
The ultimate makeover: Bread & Butter Pudding
Here is the ultimate recipe for a delicious bread and butter pudding that will satisfy your cravings.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Vegetable peeler
- baking pan
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat (in bread)
- Dairy products (in crème fraîche and butter)
Storage and leftovers
Store leftovers of this delicious bread and butter pudding in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It stays fresh for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place in the oven for a few minutes or pop in the microwave for a quick treat.
The Health Benefits of The Ultimate Makeover: Bread & Butter Pudding
Who said that enjoyment can’t be healthy? This ultimate Bread & Butter Pudding makeover recipe is not only irresistibly delicious, but also offers numerous health benefits. With the perfect combination of dried fruits, essential nutrients and reduced sugar, this dessert satisfies your cravings without compromising your well-being. Let’s dive into the health benefits of this delicious treat.
1. Dried apricots
Dried apricots are the main ingredient in this recipe and provide a delicious burst of flavor. These chewy fruits are rich in essential nutrients such as fiber, vitamins A and E, and potassium. They are also a good source of antioxidants, which protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
Raisins give the Bread & Butter Pudding a natural sweetness without the need for excessive sugar. These tiny dried grapes are rich in fiber, iron and potassium, making them a nutritious addition to any dessert. The fiber content supports digestion and helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
This recipe uses a small amount of brandy to add a subtle depth of flavor. While alcoholic beverages should be consumed in moderation, studies have shown that moderate alcohol consumption may have some health benefits, such as reducing the risk of heart disease. However, it is important to consume alcohol responsibly and within recommended limits.
Eggs are not only a binding ingredient in this recipe, but also a source of high-quality protein. They contain essential amino acids that are necessary for the growth and repair of body tissues. Eggs are also rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, vitamin D and selenium, which support brain function and promote healthy bones.
5. Partially skimmed milk
Replacing whole milk with semi-skimmed milk reduces the overall fat content of the Bread & Butter Pudding. Milk is an excellent source of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth. It also contains protein, vitamins A and D, and other essential nutrients that support overall health.
Using a vanilla bean in this recipe enhances the flavor of the custard. Vanilla has been linked to several health benefits, including reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation. It may also have antioxidant properties that help protect against certain diseases.
7. Lemon peel
The addition of lemon zest gives the Bread & Butter Pudding a refreshing citrus taste. Lemons are known for their high vitamin C content, which boosts the immune system and promotes healthy skin. Lemon peel also contains compounds that may have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
8. Creme fraîche
Using half-fat crème fraîche in this recipe reduces the fat content while still providing a creamy and tangy note. Crème fraîche is a good source of calcium and probiotics, which promote a healthy gut microbiome. It also adds richness to the dessert without being too heavy.
9. White bread
Although white bread is often considered less healthy than whole grain bread, when consumed in moderation it can still be part of a balanced diet. The crust remaining on the bread slices contributes to fiber absorption. Moderation and portion control are key to enjoying white bread while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
10. Apricot jam or jam
To give the Bread & Butter Pudding a sticky sweetness, a small amount of apricot jam or marmalade is used. While jam consumption should be done in moderation due to its sugar content, apricot jam is a healthier choice compared to some other options. It contains natural fructose and provides a fruity taste without excessive calories.
By making slight adjustments to traditional recipes, such as: With this ultimate Bread & Butter Pudding makeover, it’s possible to enjoy delicious desserts without compromising your health. Remember: moderation and balance are the key to enjoying your favorite treats. So treat yourself to this healthier version of Bread & Butter Pudding and pamper your taste buds and your well-being!