Try Thai with this quick and easy noodle soup made all in one pan. This vibrant and aromatic broth is bursting with flavors of coconut, fresh vegetables and authentic Thai spices. Perfectly cooked noodles add a delicious texture to every spoonful. With its simplicity and minimal cleanup, this recipe is your go-to for a filling and healthy weeknight meal. Enjoy the fragrant infusion of Thai flavors in every comforting bowl of this deliciously nutritious soup!
- 1½ tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1l vegetable broth
- 400 ml can of semi-skimmed coconut milk
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 175g medium egg noodles
- 2 carrots, cut into sticks
- ½ head Chinese leaf, sliced
- ½ x 300g bag of bean sprouts
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Juice 1 lime
- 3 spring onions, halved and then finely chopped lengthwise
- a handful of coriander, coarsely chopped
Many curry pastes contain dry food
Shrimp and fish sauce. Read the labels
carefully if you want to make this one
vegetarian dish. If making this for meat eaters, try adding shredded leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Put the curry paste with the oil in a large pot or wok.
- Fry for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk and brown sugar.
- Let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add noodles, carrots and Chinese leaf.
- Simmer for 4-6 minutes until everything is soft.
- Mix in the bean sprouts and tomatoes.
- Add lime juice to taste and some additional seasoning if desired.
- Pour into bowls.
- Sprinkle with spring onions and coriander.
Equipment and tools
To make this Thai Coconut and Vegetable Broth recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A large pot or pot
- A wooden spoon or spatula for stirring
- A sharp knife for cutting vegetables
- A cutting board for chopping ingredients
- A measuring spoon for precise measurements
- A can opener to open the coconut milk
- A citrus press for extracting lime juice
Before making this recipe, please be aware of the potential allergens it contains:
- Thai Red Curry Paste: Some curry pastes may contain dried shrimp and fish sauce. It is important to read labels carefully to ensure they are suitable for vegetarians or those with special dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers after enjoying your delicious Thai coconut and vegetable broth, follow these storage guidelines:
- Transfer remaining broth to an airtight container.
- Place the broth in the refrigerator within 2 hours of cooking.
- The broth can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tip: If you’re cooking for meat eaters, you can add shredded leftover rotisserie chicken to the broth for more protein and flavor.
Health Benefits of Thai Coconut and Vegetable Broth
Thai coconut and vegetable broth is not only a tasty and filling dish, but also offers numerous health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this soup is a great choice for a healthy and nutritious meal. Let’s explore the health benefits of the main ingredients of this recipe:
1. Thai red curry paste
Thai red curry paste is made from a combination of herbs and spices such as lemongrass, garlic, ginger and chili. These ingredients are known for their potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. They can also support digestion and strengthen the immune system.
2. Vegetable oil
The small amount of vegetable oil used in this recipe adds richness and flavor to the broth. Although vegetable oil should be consumed in moderation, it provides essential fatty acids and vitamin E, which are beneficial for heart health and overall well-being.
3. Vegetable broth
The vegetable broth forms the base of this soup and ensures a hearty and aromatic broth. It is low in calories and fat, making it a suitable option for anyone watching their weight. In addition, vegetable broth is a good source of vitamins, minerals and fiber.
4. Semi-skimmed coconut milk
Coconut milk gives the broth a creamy and delicious consistency while providing several health benefits. This plant-based milk is a rich source of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. It can support brain function, boost immunity and promote heart health.
5. Brown sugar
Brown sugar, although used in small amounts, adds a touch of sweetness to the broth to balance the flavors. It is a less processed alternative to white sugar and retains some of its natural molasses content. However, as part of a balanced diet, it is important to consume added sugar in moderation.
This broth is rich in a variety of vegetables, including carrots, Chinese cabbage, bean sprouts, cherry tomatoes, scallions, and cilantro. This vegetable provides important nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and fiber, which are crucial for maintaining health and overall well-being.
7. Lime juice
In addition to giving the broth a tangy and refreshing taste, the lime juice also provides a dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that supports a healthy immune system, aids wound healing, and aids iron absorption.
With its combination of aromatic ingredients and beneficial properties, Thai coconut and vegetable broth is a nutritious and healthy choice for anyone who wants to enjoy a delicious and healthy meal.