Looking for a quick and tasty solo dinner? Then you’ve come to the right place with our delicious Tex-Mex bean toast recipe. Made with staples like black beans and fragrant Mexican spices, this dish is bursting with flavors that will make your taste buds dance.
To complete the meal, we recommend serving it with creamy avocado and a dollop of tangy yogurt. The combination of rich beans, creamy avocado and cool yogurt creates a harmonious balance of textures and flavors that will leave you wanting more. Enjoy this comforting and filling meal whenever you feel like a delicious Tex-Mex experience.
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 spring onions, white and green leaves separated, both finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 tbsp brown or barbecue sauce
- 400g canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 1 small ripe avocado
- a few good squeezes of lemon or lime juice
- large dollop of natural yogurt
- Place the tomatoes, white scallions, spices and brown sauce in a pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let it bubble for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans along with some spices and heat for another 5 minutes.
- While the beans are heating, toast the bread.
- After roasting, roughly dice half of the avocado and mix with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
- Mash the remaining avocado over a piece of toast and then place it together with the other piece.
- Place the avocado toast on a plate.
- Top the toast with the hot chili beans.
- Add the diced avocado and a dollop of cooling yogurt to the beans.
- Sprinkle the spring onion greens on top.
- Get in and enjoy!
Equipment and tools
To prepare Tex-Mex beans on toast, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A can opener
- A cutting board
- A knife
- A measuring spoon
- One tablespoon
- A frying pan
- A toaster
- A spoon for stirring
Please note the following allergen information for Tex-Mex Beans on Toast:
- This recipe contains gluten from the bread.
- It may also contain traces of dairy products if yogurt is used as a topping.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers of your Tex-Mex beans on toast, follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the beans to cool completely before storing them.
- Place the beans in an airtight container.
- Store the beans in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat leftovers, place them in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until warmed through. Alternatively, you can reheat them on the stove in a skillet over medium heat.
Do not freeze the beans as this may affect the consistency. They are best enjoyed fresh or within a few days of preparation.
Health Benefits of Tex-Mex Beans on Toast
Health Benefits of Tex-Mex Beans on Toast
Tex-Mex beans on toast are not only a delicious and filling dish, but they also offer several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients like tomatoes, black beans, avocado, and plain yogurt, this recipe provides a combination of essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
The recipe calls for a 400g can of chopped tomatoes, which are an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium and antioxidants such as lycopene. Vitamin C supports a healthy immune system, while potassium is essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure. Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant, has been linked to a reduced risk of certain cancers and promotes heart health.
2. Black beans
The Tex-Mex Beans on Toast recipe contains a 400g can of black beans, which are a fantastic source of plant-based protein and fiber. Black beans are low in fat and rich in essential minerals including iron, magnesium and folic acid. The high fiber content promotes digestion, promotes satiety and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
This recipe features a small ripe avocado that is not only delicious but also offers a variety of health benefits. Avocado is a rich source of healthy monounsaturated fats that may help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. It is also rich in vitamins C, E, K and B-6, as well as important minerals such as potassium and folic acid.
4. Natural yogurt
The Tex-Mex beans on toast can be garnished with a large dollop of natural yogurt. Yogurt contains probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria that support a healthy intestinal microbiome. In addition, yogurt provides calcium, vitamins B-2 and B-12, and protein. When you choose natural yogurt without added sugar, you get all the benefits without any unwanted extras.
By incorporating these ingredients into the Tex-Mex Bean Toast recipe, you can enjoy a delicious meal while providing your body with essential nutrients. Whether you’re looking for a hearty breakfast, a quick and easy lunch, or a light and filling dinner, this dish is a versatile option that offers numerous health benefits.