Treat your taste buds to our delicious teriyaki salmon with sesame bok choy. This delicious dish combines perfectly grilled salmon fillets marinated in a sweet and spicy teriyaki glaze. Served with crispy bok choy sauteed in fragrant sesame oil, this recipe is a harmony of flavors and textures that will leave you wanting more. The juicy salmon is tender and flaky, complemented by the nutty flavor of sesame seeds sprinkled over the bok choy. Treat yourself to a delicious Asian-inspired meal that is both healthy and incredibly filling.
- 2 skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp mirin or dry sherry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- brown rice or noodles for serving (optional)
- 2 large pak choi (approx. 250 g)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 75 ml fish or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 and place the salmon in a shallow baking dish.
- Mix sweet chili, honey, sesame oil, mirin, soy and ginger in a small bowl and pour over the salmon, completely covering the steaks.
- Bake for 10 minutes while you cook the bok choy.
- Cut a slice at the base of the bok choy, releasing the leaves.
- Heat the oil in the wok, add the garlic and fry briefly to soften.
- Add the bok choy and fry until the leaves begin to wilt.
- Pour the broth over the top, cover the pan tightly and cook for 5 minutes – you want the stems of the bok choy to be tender but still have some bite.
- Serve the pak choy in shallow bowls, top with the salmon steaks and spoon the juice over them.
- Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and serve plain or with brown rice or noodles.
Equipment and tools
- baking pan
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- Cooking utensils
This Teriyaki Salmon with Sesame Bok Choy recipe contains the following allergens:
- Fish (if using fish stock)
Depending on the optional serving with brown rice or pasta, it may also contain allergens. Please check the packaging for possible allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They last up to 2-3 days. To reheat, place salmon and bok choy in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until warmed through. Alternatively, reheat them in a frying pan over medium heat. Sprinkle with additional toasted sesame seeds before serving.
Health Benefits of Teriyaki Salmon with Sesame Bok Choy
The dish of teriyaki salmon with sesame bok choy not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. This flavorful recipe combines the goodness of omega-3 fatty acids from salmon, vitamins and minerals from bok choy, and the antioxidant properties of sesame seeds to create a nutritious and vibrant meal.
1. Salmon: A source of omega-3 fatty acids
Salmon is known for its high content of omega-3 fatty acids. These essential fats play a crucial role in maintaining heart health and reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Omega-3 fatty acids are also associated with improved brain function, reduced inflammation, and improved eye health. Regular consumption of salmon can contribute to a healthy heart and overall well-being.
2. Pak Choi: Nutrient-rich leafy greens
Pak choy, also known as bok choy, is a green leafy vegetable packed with nutrients. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K, all of which help maintain a strong immune system and promote healthy bone development. In addition, bok choy contains minerals such as calcium and iron, which are essential for bone strength and oxygen transport throughout the body. Adding bok choy to your diet gives you a nutritional boost that supports your overall health.
3. Sesame seeds: Rich in antioxidants
Sprinkling with toasted sesame seeds not only adds a delicious crunch, but also adds a wealth of antioxidants to the dish. These antioxidants help protect the body from harmful free radicals, prevent cell damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Sesame seeds are also a good source of healthy fats and proteins. Including them in your diet increases the nutritional value and contributes to a balanced and healthy diet.
Preparation of the dish
To make this nutritious and delicious Teriyaki Salmon with Sesame Bok Choy, you will need skinless salmon fillets, sweet chili sauce, honey, sesame oil, mirin or dry sherry, soy sauce, ginger, brown rice or noodles (optional) and large bok choy, Vegetable oil, garlic, fish or vegetable broth and toasted sesame seeds.
First marinate the salmon fillets in a spicy mixture of sweet chili sauce, honey, sesame oil, mirin or dry sherry, soy sauce and finely grated ginger. This marinade not only improves the taste, but also provides the salmon with important nutrients.
While the salmon is marinating, prepare the bok choy by sautéing it with vegetable oil, sesame oil and grated garlic. Adding fish or vegetable broth gives the dish more flavor and ensures a tender and tasty result. Finally, sprinkle the dish with toasted sesame seeds for a delicious crunch and added nutritional value.
This Teriyaki Salmon with Sesame Bok Choy can be served alongside brown rice or noodles for a complete meal that appeals to both your taste buds and your health goals.