Treat yourself to a truly sumptuous culinary experience with our recipe for Tender Roast Duck with Citrus and Carrots. This delicious dish is made even easier by using ready-made duck confit, allowing you to impress with minimal effort. The juicy and spicy duck pairs perfectly with the refreshing citrus notes and sweetness of the carrots. Create a delicious harmony by serving it alongside creamy mashed potatoes for a comforting touch. Complete the plate with a garnish of rich watercress to add a peppery touch. Brighten up your dining table with this luxurious, no-fuss meal for two.
- 2 purchased duck confit legs
- 300g slim carrots, halved lengthways (approx. 6)
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed in the peel
- 1 orange, half juiced, half cut into wedges
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp good chicken stock (you only need this if your duck doesn’t have jelly surrounding it)
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- a few sprigs of thyme
- Mashed potatoes and watercress to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Scrape off any excess fat from the duck (you can also reserve this for duck fat potatoes), but reserve the jelly.
- Place the carrots, garlic and orange wedges in a large roasting pan, mix with the oil and season well.
- Season the duck legs and then place them, skin side up, on top of the vegetables.
- Roast for 40 minutes until the carrots are tender and the duck is golden brown.
- Mix lemon juice, vinegar and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour over the vegetables, add the jellied duck or chicken broth and then add bay leaves and thyme here and there.
- Roast for another 10 minutes, until the carrots are surrounded by syrupy sauce and the duck is golden brown.
- Season the sauce and serve with mashed potatoes and watercress.
Tender roasted duck with citrus fruits and carrots
Tender roasted duck with citrus fruits and carrots
Equipment and tools
Below are the equipment and tools you will need to prepare this recipe:
- Garlic press
- frying pan
- baking pan
- mixing bowl
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Here are some guidelines for storing and handling leftovers:
- Allow the duck to cool completely before storing.
- Place the leftover duck in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, gently reheat the duck in the oven on low until heated through.
- Discard any leftovers left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Here are the ingredients you need to prepare Tender Roasted Duck with Citrus and Carrots:
Health Benefits of Tender Roast Duck with Citrus and Carrots
Duck is a delicious meat known for its rich flavor and tender texture. Combined with citrus fruits and carrots, it creates a delicious and nutritious dish that offers several health benefits. Below are some of the key benefits of enjoying a portion of tender roasted duck with citrus and carrots:
1. Rich in protein
Duck is an excellent source of protein that plays a crucial role in building and repairing tissue, maintaining healthy hair and nails, and supporting a strong immune system. By including tender roasted duck in your diet, you can easily meet your daily protein requirements.
2. Rich in essential vitamins
The addition of citrus fruits and carrots gives this dish a dose of essential vitamins. Oranges, for example, are rich in vitamin C, which boosts immune function and acts as a powerful antioxidant. Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, which is essential for eye health and maintaining healthy skin.
3. Nutrient-rich carrots
The slender carrots used in this recipe offer more than just vibrant color and delicious crunch. Carrots are low in calories but high in essential nutrients such as fiber, potassium and antioxidants. They also contribute to better digestion and cardiovascular health.
4. Heart-healthy fats
Although duck contains fat, it is mostly concentrated in the skin. By removing the skin before cooking, you can enjoy the tender meat without consuming excessive unhealthy fats. The small amount of fat that’s left improves flavor and helps your body absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
5. Source of minerals
This tender roast duck recipe contains various herbs and spices, such as bay leaves and thyme. These ingredients contain a range of minerals including iron, calcium and manganese. These minerals are essential for the proper functioning of the body and maintaining healthy bones and teeth.
6. Low added sugar
Using golden powdered sugar in this recipe adds a touch of sweetness to balance the savory flavors. However, the amount used is minimal so that the dish contains as little sugar as possible. This makes it a healthier option for those looking to reduce their sugar consumption.
In summary, tender roasted duck with citrus and carrots is not only a delicious dish but also offers numerous health benefits. From providing high-quality proteins and essential vitamins to being a source of heart-healthy fats and minerals, this recipe is a great addition to a balanced diet. So give it a try and treat yourself to a nutritious meal that satisfies both your taste buds and your body’s needs.