Create a restaurant-style fried fish dish with a smoky flavor and served with homemade mayonnaise. This tea smoked salmon recipe brings a whole new flavor and sophistication to the classic salmon fillet. By giving the fish a unique smoky note, you get a deliciously fragrant and tender dish. The herb mayonnaise perfectly complements the smoky taste and gives every bite a creamy and spicy note. Impress your guests with this elegant yet simple recipe that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
- 1 tbsp tea leaves (see “Try” below)
- 2 tbsp uncooked white rice
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 4 salmon fillets, about 150 g each
- a few splashes of olive oil
- ½ cucumber, cut lengthwise into strips using a vegetable peeler
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- Drizzle red wine vinegar over it
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 200 ml olive oil (not extra virgin)
- Squeeze out lemon juice
- large handful of herbs such as parsley, chives and tarragon, finely chopped, plus some for sprinkling
Lapsang Souchong tea gives you one
very strong smoke aroma, while green tea
will be much milder.
- For the mayonnaise, put the egg yolks and mustard in a bowl.
- Whisk well, then gradually drizzle in the oil, stirring continuously until thick.
- Add lemon juice and herbs and season.
- Store in the refrigerator. Can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Line an ovenproof roasting pan with a sheet of foil.
- Mix the tea, rice and sugar and spread on the foil (see step 1).
- Cut another sheet of foil and fold it to create a rectangle that will sit in the can.
- Poke lots of small holes in the foil (see step 2) and place the salmon on top, skin side down (see step 3).
- Place the roasting pan over a high heat on the stove until the tea is slightly smoking.
- Place the foil with the salmon over the tea.
- Cover the pan tightly with more foil and broil the salmon for 5 minutes for rare salmon or 8 minutes for well-done salmon.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt.
- Mix cucumber, radishes and arugula in a bowl.
- Put some mayonnaise on four plates, drag the spoon through it and place a salmon fillet on top.
- Dress the salad with oil and vinegar and distribute it among the plates.
- Serve sprinkled with herbs.
Equipment and tools
To prepare tea-smoked salmon with herbal mayonnaise, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Aluminum foil
- Smoking device (e.g. wok with lid or smoker)
- Vegetable peeler
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
- Whisk or hand mixer
- spatula or spoon
The “Tea-smoked salmon with herb mayonnaise” recipe may contain the following allergens:
Please check the specific ingredients you are using for possible allergens and adjust the recipe accordingly for any dietary restrictions or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers from the tea-smoked salmon with herb mayonnaise, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For optimal freshness, smoked salmon should be consumed within 2-3 days.
If you want to enjoy the leftovers, you can serve them cold or slightly warmed. It is not recommended to reheat the smoked salmon in the microwave, otherwise it may dry out or overcook.
The Health Benefits of Tea Smoked Salmon with Herbal Mayonnaise
Tea smoked salmon with herb mayonnaise is not only a delicious dish but also offers several health benefits. The combination of salmon, tea and fresh herbs makes this recipe a nutritious choice that can contribute to a balanced diet. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious dish:
1. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids
Salmon is considered an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. These essential fats provide numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation, supporting heart health, and promoting brain function. Including salmon in your diet can help you meet your omega-3 needs.
2. Packed with antioxidants
Tea leaves, especially green tea, are rich in antioxidants called catechins. These compounds help protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals, which can lead to various chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Including tea in this recipe adds a dose of antioxidants to your meal.
3. Nutrient-rich ingredients
The cucumbers, radishes, and arugula included in this recipe provide an array of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Cucumber is hydrating and a good source of vitamin K, while radishes provide fiber and vitamin C. Arugula, also known as arugula, is rich in vitamin K, vitamin A and folic acid. These ingredients contribute to overall health and well-being.
4. Heart-healthy olive oil
Using olive oil in the herb mayonnaise gives this recipe additional health benefits. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, it contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that support overall heart health.
5. Tasty and with little added sugar
This recipe uses soft brown sugar to add a smoky flavor to the salmon. However, the amount used is minimal, making it a low-sugar option. This is particularly beneficial for people who want to reduce their sugar intake for various health reasons, such as controlling blood sugar levels or maintaining a balanced diet.
Note: The above health benefits depend on the specific ingredients used, cooking methods, and individual dietary needs. It is always recommended to consult a doctor or registered dietitian for individual advice.
Incorporating tea-smoked salmon with herbal mayonnaise into your meals allows you to enjoy a tasty dish while reaping the numerous health benefits it offers. From providing essential nutrients to supporting heart health, this recipe is a win for your taste buds and your well-being.