This chorizo and endive skillet sweet potato dip recipe is a delicious addition to any party spread. The flavor combination creates a perfect harmony for non-Muslim guests who enjoy pork. The paprika dip provides a subtle spice, while the Spanish sausage provides a strong and smoky taste. The best part is that this appetizer is suitable for people with dietary restrictions since it is both gluten and dairy free. So go ahead and treat your guests to a healthy and tasty option that is sure to impress!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- small handful of cilantro or parsley, chopped, plus some for serving
- 250g mini chorizo sausages (for special diets see tip below)
- few heads of red and white chicory, leaves separated
Planning for everyone
All chorizo should be naturally wheat and gluten free, but check the ingredients. (We used Unearthed sausages from Waitrose for this recipe.)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas. 6. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and bake for 50 minutes until really soft. Let cool down.
- Place the potato flesh in a food processor and remove the peels. Add oil, paprika, vinegar, coriander or parsley and some spices and stir into a smooth paste. Place in a bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed. The dip will keep for two days in the fridge – just bring it to room temperature before serving.
- Cook the chorizo in a small skillet until cooked through, 10 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle additional cilantro or parsley over the dip and serve with the chorizo and chicory leaves for dipping.
Equipment and tools
- baking tray
- Blender or food processor
For those with special dietary needs, please note the following allergens in this recipe:
All chorizo sausages used in this recipe should be naturally wheat and gluten free. However, it is advisable to check the ingredients list before purchasing. (In this recipe we used Unearthed sausages from Waitrose.)
Storage and leftovers
After making the Sweet Potato Dip with Chorizo and Chicory Dips, any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat the dip in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through. The chicory dips may remain crispy, but the dip may thicken as it cools. If necessary, add a splash of water or olive oil to adjust the consistency.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potato Dip with Chorizo and Chicory Dippers
Not only are sweet potatoes delicious, but they also offer several health benefits. Combined with the savory flavors of chorizo and the refreshing crunch of chicory dippers, this Sweet Potato Dip with Chorizo and Chicory Dippers recipe is a perfect choice, both in terms of taste and nutrition.
Sweet Potatoes: A Nutritional Powerhouse
Sweet potatoes are rich in important vitamins, minerals and fiber. Here are some of the health benefits associated with this superfood:
- Rich in Vitamin A: Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene, a form of vitamin A that supports healthy vision, immune function and cell growth.
- Rich in antioxidants: The bright orange color of sweet potatoes is due to the presence of antioxidants such as beta-carotene and anthocyanins, which help reduce inflammation and protect against chronic diseases.
- Good source of fiber: Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, which aids digestion, promotes satiety, and supports a healthy gut.
- Boosts Brain Function: The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds found in sweet potatoes may contribute to brain health and reduce the risk of cognitive decline.
- Regulates blood sugar: Despite their natural sweetness, sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index compared to regular potatoes. This means they are less likely to cause a sharp rise in blood sugar levels.
Chorizo: A flavorful protein option
While chorizo adds a touch of spicy flavor to this dip, it also offers some health benefits:
- Rich in protein: Chorizo is a good source of protein, essential for building and repairing tissue, producing enzymes and hormones, and supporting a healthy immune system.
- Provides essential nutrients: Chorizo contains important nutrients such as iron, zinc and vitamin B12, which are necessary for optimal health and energy production.
- Contains capsaicin: The spice in chorizo comes from capsaicin, a compound known for its potential anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
Chicory: A crunchy and nutritious dip
Not only does chicory add a delicious crunch to this dish, but it also offers numerous health benefits:
- Rich in fiber: Chicory is a good source of fiber, which aids digestion, promotes satiety and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
- Rich in antioxidants: Chicory contains compounds such as polyphenols, which have antioxidant properties and provide protection against oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Supports healthy digestion: The inulin fiber contained in chicory acts as a prebiotic, nourishes the beneficial bacteria in the intestines and promotes a healthy intestinal microbiome.
- May Support Liver Health: Some studies suggest that chicory may support liver health by promoting the removal of toxins from the body.
- May lower blood sugar levels: Chicory root extract has been shown to have a potential blood sugar-lowering effect, making it beneficial for those with diabetes or insulin resistance.
So treat yourself to this spicy sweet potato dip with chorizo and chicory dippers and reap its numerous health benefits at the same time. This recipe presents the combination of delicious ingredients that will not only satisfy your taste buds but also nourish your body.