Looking for a delicious and hearty meal that practically cooks itself? Our Sweet Potato Coconut Curry is exactly what you need. Simply prep your veggies, throw them in the slow cooker, and let them do their magic. When the flavors of sweet potato and coconut mingle, it creates a satisfying and satisfying curry that will warm your soul. Perfect for busy days or lazy evenings when you want to prepare a delicious home-cooked meal with minimal effort. Try our Sweet Potato Coconut Curry today and enjoy pure comfort.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- thumb-sized piece of ginger root, peeled
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 red chili peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 250g red cabbage, chopped
- 1kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 300g passata
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- cooked couscous
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the onion.
- Fry gently for 10 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and grate the ginger directly into the pan.
- Stir in the paprika and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Place the pan back on the heat and add another tablespoon of oil along with the chilies, red pepper and grated cabbage.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and then add to the slow cooker.
- Use the remaining oil to fry the sweet potatoes. Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to do this in 2 or 3 batches.
- Cook the sweet potatoes for about 5 minutes or until they begin to color around the edges, then add them to the slow cooker as well.
- Pour the passata and coconut milk over the sweet potatoes and stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker with a lid and cook for 6-8 hours or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir peanut butter into the curry and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Serve with couscous and chopped coriander sprinkled on top.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the sweet potato coconut curry you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- Big pot
- wooden spoon
- Garlic press
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
The Sweet Potato Coconut Curry recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Peanuts (in peanut butter)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover sweet potato coconut curry, follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the curry to cool completely.
- Place the curry in an airtight container.
- Store the curry in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- To reheat, gently heat the curry on the stove or in the microwave until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potato Coconut Curry
Not only is sweet potato and coconut curry a delicious and filling dish, but it also offers numerous health benefits. This flavorful recipe combines the earthy sweetness of sweet potatoes with the richness of coconut milk for a perfect balance of flavors. Let’s explore some of the health benefits this dish has to offer:
1. Excellent source of fiber
The sweet potatoes and red cabbage in this curry provide a good amount of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, preventing constipation, and promoting satiety, which can be helpful in weight control.
2. Packed with vitamins and minerals
Sweet potatoes are a great source of several vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin B6. These vitamins play a crucial role in supporting immune function, maintaining healthy skin, and increasing energy levels. Additionally, sweet potatoes are rich in minerals such as potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure, and manganese, which is important for collagen production and normal bone health.
3. Anti-inflammatory properties
Spices like garlic, ginger, paprika and cayenne pepper used in this curry have natural anti-inflammatory properties. Chronic inflammation in the body is linked to various chronic diseases, including heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer. Incorporating anti-inflammatory ingredients into your diet can help reduce inflammation and protect your overall health.
4. Healthy fats
Coconut milk and olive oil used in this curry are sources of healthy fats, including medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are found in coconut milk. MCTs are easy to digest and provide a quick source of energy. They are also believed to have potential benefits for brain health and weight management.
Red peppers, red cabbage and sweet potatoes are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. They play a critical role in supporting overall health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
6. Vegetable protein
Adding peanut butter to this curry provides an additional source of plant-based protein. Protein is important for building and repairing tissue, supporting the immune system and contributing to healthy hair and nails.
7. Versatile and nourishing
This sweet potato and coconut curry can be served with cooked couscous, which adds a nutritious grain component to the dish. Couscous is a good source of carbohydrates and provides energy for the body. It also contains some fiber and protein, making it a well-rounded meal addition.
Sweet potato and coconut curry is not only a delicious culinary experience but also a dish that offers numerous health benefits. By incorporating this dish into your regular eating routine, you can enjoy a nutritious and tasty meal while taking care of your overall well-being.