Experience the incredible taste and exceptional health benefits of our super healthy salmon salad. Packed with essential nutrients, this delicious dish is a true powerhouse. With its high content of omega-3 fatty acids, iron and calcium, it is guaranteed to leave you feeling nourished and satisfied. Not only is it incredibly nutritious, but it also contributes to your daily intake of fruits and vegetables, which make up two of your five meals per day. Treat yourself to this pleasure without feeling guilty and take a step towards a healthier lifestyle!
- 100g couscous
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 salmon fillets
- 200g sprouting broccoli, coarsely chopped, larger stems removed
- Juice 1 lemon
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
- small handful of pumpkin seeds
- 2 handfuls of watercress
- Olive oil and extra lemon wedges for serving
- Heat water in a deck steamer.
- Season the couscous and mix with 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Pour boiling water over the couscous to cover it by 1cm, then set aside.
- When the water in the steamer boils, add the broccoli to the water and place the salmon on the tier above.
- Cook for 3 minutes until the salmon is cooked through and the broccoli is tender.
- Drain the broccoli and cool under cold water.
- Mix the remaining oil and lemon juice.
- Stir the broccoli, pomegranate seeds and pumpkin seeds through the couscous with the lemon dressing.
- At the last moment, roughly chop the watercress and mix it into the couscous.
- Serve with the salmon, lemon wedges for squeezing, and additional olive oil for drizzling, if desired.
Equipment and tools
To make this super healthy salmon salad you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A pot for cooking the couscous
- A frying pan for cooking the salmon fillets
- A sharp knife to roughly chop the sprouted broccoli
- A lemon squeezer to extract the juice from a lemon
- A spoon or fork to remove the seeds from half a pomegranate
- A small handful for measuring the pumpkin seeds
- A sieve for rinsing the watercress
- A serving bowl to present the salad
- Olive oil and extra lemon wedges for serving
This super healthy salmon salad contains the following allergens:
- Fish: salmon fillets
Please make sure you are not allergic to these ingredients before consuming.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Superhealthy Salmon Salad, follow these storage guidelines:
- Place the salad in an airtight container
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days
- Check for freshness before serving again and discard if necessary
Since this salad is best enjoyed fresh, it is advisable not to keep it for too long.
Health Benefits of Super Healthy Salmon Salad
The super healthy salmon salad is not only a delicious and filling dish, but also offers numerous health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this salad is a great choice for anyone looking to nourish their body and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
1. Salmon – a nutritional powerhouse
The star of this salad is undoubtedly the salmon fillets. Salmon is highly valued for its exceptional nutritional profile. It is an excellent source of high-quality protein, essential for muscle growth and repair. Additionally, salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly EPA and DHA, which promote heart health, reduce inflammation and support brain function.
2. Couscous – a healthy grain
The salad is based on couscous, a staple of North African cuisine. Made from durum wheat, couscous is a nutritious whole grain that provides fiber, which is important for digestive health and helps with weight control. It also contains B vitamins, which are essential for energy production and maintaining a healthy nervous system.
3. Germinating broccoli – a jewel of the cruciferous family
The addition of sprouted broccoli gives this salad a bright green color and a boost of antioxidants. Broccoli is a member of the cruciferous family and is known for its anti-cancer properties. This superfood is rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as folic acid, which is crucial for DNA synthesis and cell growth.
4. Pomegranate Seeds – Antioxidant Powerhouse
The sweet and spicy pomegranate seeds not only provide a special taste, but also provide powerful antioxidants. These antioxidants help protect the body from harmful free radicals and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers. Pomegranate seeds are also a good source of vitamin C and fiber.
5. Pumpkin seeds – nutty delicacies
Incorporating pumpkin seeds into this salmon salad provides a delicious crunch and a dose of essential nutrients. Pumpkin seeds are packed with important minerals such as zinc, magnesium and iron, all of which are essential for maintaining a healthy immune system and supporting various body functions.
6. Watercress – The nutrient-rich green
Watercress, a leafy green vegetable, is known for its incredible nutrient density. It is a rich source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as calcium, iron and antioxidants. These nutrients contribute to healthy bones, strong immune function and overall well-being.
To make this super healthy salmon salad, simply cook the couscous, pan fry the salmon fillets and mix with the remaining ingredients. Serve drizzled with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon for an additional kick of freshness.