Sarah Cook’s delicious Summer Fruit Drizzle Cake is a delicious treat that will become a favorite in all households. Not only is this recipe incredibly easy to make, but it’s also extremely versatile – feel free to use whatever fruit tickles your fancy. With its moist texture and irresistible fruit flavor, it’s a cake you’ll want to make again and again. Whether you choose juicy strawberries, tangy raspberries, or juicy blueberries, this delicious creation is sure to impress your friends and family. Don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy this heavenly dessert during the sunny summer months!
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g fruit, pitted and diced
- 140g granulated sugar
- 1-2 tbsp citrus juice – lemon, lime or orange
- 175g very soft butter, plus a little butter for greasing
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- 250g self-raising flour
Pick your fruit
We used blackberries and
Raspberries for our cover summer
Fruit drizzle cake, but all that
also works well:
• Apricots (diced)
• Blackberries (halved if large)
• Nectarines (diced)
• Peaches (diced)
• Plums (diced)
• Red currants or black currants
• Strawberries (diced or
quartered if large)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease a 900g loaf tin and line the bottom and ends with a long strip of baking paper.
- Place butter, sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 5 minutes until light and creamy – the mixture will be very thick.
- Spread a third of the cake mix in the tin and then sprinkle 50g of the fruit over it.
- Carefully spread another third of the cake mixture on top and sprinkle with another 50 g of fruit.
- Finally, top with the rest of the cake mix and spread gently with the back of a spoon. Bake for 1 hour, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Pierce the entire cake with a skewer.
- Place the remaining 75 g of fruit in a bowl with the granulated sugar.
- First stir in 1 tablespoon of citrus juice with a fork, mashing some of the fruit.
- If it’s a little dry, add a splash more juice and spoon it over the cake.
- Leave in the tin until the cake has cooled and the topping is firm and crispy.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Round cake tin (20 cm diameter)
- Baking paper or parchment paper
- Cake tester or skewer
- Cooling rack
- Knife or offset spatula
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Flour (gluten)
Storage and leftovers
To store leftover summer fruit cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container. It can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the cake to keep it longer. To freeze, wrap the cake in a double layer of plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer bag or container. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Health Benefits of Summer Fruit Drizzle Cake
Summer fruit cake is not only a delicious treat but also offers several health benefits. The combination of fresh fruit and other nutritious ingredients makes this cake a guilt-free treat.
1. Nutrient-rich fruits
The main ingredient of the summer fruit drizzle cake is of course the selection of fruits used to enhance the flavor. Fruits such as blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, nectarines, peaches, plums, strawberries and currants provide an abundance of vital vitamins and minerals. They are packed with antioxidants that protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
2. Vitamins and minerals
By incorporating fruit into the cake, you add a significant dose of vitamins, including vitamin C, vitamin K and various B vitamins. These vitamins are essential for a healthy immune system, blood clotting, and maintaining a healthy metabolism.
3. Fiber boost
Fruits, especially berries, are an excellent source of fiber. Fiber is crucial for maintaining a healthy digestive system, regulating blood sugar levels and promoting satiety. When you incorporate fruit into your summer fruit drizzle cake, you’ll get a good amount of fiber with each piece.
4. Reduced sugar content
In this recipe, the use of granulated sugar and golden powdered sugar is relatively moderate. By relying on the fruit’s natural sweetness, you can reduce the overall sugar content without compromising the taste. This makes summer fruit cake a healthier option compared to other desserts with excessive added sugar.
5. Healthy fats
The recipe calls for very soft butter, which contains healthier fats compared to some other types of fat used in baking. While moderation is key, these healthy fats can contribute to improved cholesterol levels and better heart health when consumed as part of a balanced diet.
The great thing about this cake is its versatility. You can choose from a variety of fruits according to your taste and preferences. Each fruit brings its own unique health benefits, so the summer fruit drizzle cake can be tailored to your dietary needs.
In summary, summer fruit cake not only pampers your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. By using nutrient-rich fruits and consciously selecting ingredients, you can enjoy this cake guilt-free while providing your body with important vitamins, minerals and fiber.