Everyone loves potato salad – and this vegetable-packed recipe has more to offer than usual, both in terms of taste and glamour.
For a refreshing twist, this summery potato salad is enriched with an aromatic, minty Dijon mayo dressing that takes its flavor to a whole new level. The creamy mayonnaise harmonizes perfectly with the tender potatoes and crunchy vegetables and creates a delicious mix of textures. This vibrant and colorful dish is not only a crowd pleaser, but also a nutritious addition to any summer gathering. Get ready to impress your guests with this delicious and visually appealing potato salad that will leave you wanting more!
- 300 ml mayonnaise
- 2 heaped tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped mint
- 750g pack of Baby Jersey Royal potatoes
- 400 g fine green beans, cleaned
- 450g frozen peas, thawed
- 2 large ripe avocados
- ½ lemon, juice only
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing well with a little salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Halve the potatoes, or cut them into thick slices if they are large, and cook them in a pot of salted water for 7-8 minutes, with a steamer full of beans on top, until both are tender.
- Cool them separately under cold tap.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl, followed by the beans and peas.
- Shortly before serving, peel, stone and chop the avocados and sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent them from discoloring.
- Pile on top of the salad and drizzle with the dressing.
- Cover the bowl with cling film for transport.
- Mix just before serving and spread everything with the mayonnaise dressing.
- If you have a long trip or want to make this a day in advance, prepare and add the avocados and lemon juice.
Equipment and tools
To make this summer potato salad with minty Dijon mayonnaise, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A large mixing bowl
- A whisk or spoon for mixing
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
- A pot for cooking the potatoes
- A pot for blanching the green beans
- A sieve
This summer potato salad with minty Dijon mayonnaise contains the following allergens:
- Eggs (mayonnaise)
- Mustard (Dijon mustard)
Please be aware of these allergens if you or anyone consuming this dish has relevant allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers of this Summer Potato Salad with Minty Dijon Mayonnaise, follow these storage instructions:
- Transfer the salad to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Before serving again, stir the salad well to redistribute the dressing.
Note that the avocado may darken slightly during storage, but the flavor should not be affected.
Health Benefits of Summer Potato Salad with Minty Dijon Mayo
Potato salad is a classic summer dish loved by many. Not only is it delicious and filling, but it can also provide several health benefits when prepared with nutritious ingredients. One such recipe is the summer potato salad with minty Dijon mayo. Let’s explore the health benefits of this aromatic salad:
1. Nutritious mayonnaise alternative
This potato salad recipe uses 300 ml mayonnaise. While mayo adds creaminess to the dish, it can be high in calories and saturated fat. However, you can opt for a nutritious mayonnaise alternative or make a homemade version with healthier ingredients like Greek yogurt or olive oil to reduce unhealthy fats and increase protein content.
2. Dijon mustard for more taste and health
Adding 2 heaped tablespoons of Dijon mustard gives this salad a spicy touch and a unique taste. Dijon mustard is made from mustard seeds, vinegar, water and various spices. It is low in calories but rich in nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Mustard seeds are believed to have potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory properties and potential anti-cancer properties.
3. Fresh mint for healthy digestion
Adding 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped mint not only enhances the flavor but also brings several health benefits. Mint has been used for centuries to aid digestion, relieve flatulence, and relieve stomach discomfort. It is also a good source of antioxidants and can promote better breath.
4. Nutrient-rich potatoes
This potato salad contains a 750g pack of Baby Jersey Royal potatoes. Potatoes, often considered unhealthy because they are associated with fried preparations, can actually be a nutritious addition to a salad when cooked or roasted. They are a good source of vitamin C, potassium and fiber while being low in fat and calories.
5. Green beans and peas for fiber and minerals
The salad also contains 400g fine green beans, cleaned, and 450g thawed frozen peas. Both green beans and peas are rich in fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut. They are also rich in minerals such as folic acid, manganese, and vitamins A and K, which are essential for overall health.
6. Avocado for heart-healthy monounsaturated fats
Two large ripe avocados are added to this salad for a creamy and nutritious touch. Avocados are an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, heart-healthy fats that may help lower bad cholesterol levels. They are also rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals and are therefore a valuable addition to any salad.
7. Lemon juice for a vitamin C boost
To bring out the flavors and prevent the avocado from browning, finish the salad with the juice of half a lemon. In addition to adding a tangy note, lemon juice also provides a significant amount of vitamin C, an important antioxidant that supports a healthy immune system and aids collagen production.
With its combination of nutritious ingredients, Summer Potato Salad with Minty Dijon Mayo is not only a delicious addition to your summer menu, but also a healthy choice that can support your overall well-being. Enjoy it as a side dish or light main dish and enjoy the positive effects on your health!