This generous cake is big enough to feed a crowd and is a combination of all of our favorite summer ingredients: strawberries, Victoria sponge, meringue, fresh cream, white chocolate and shortbread.
Every bite of this delicious summer party cake will leave you in a state of pure bliss. Imagine your teeth sinking into layers of light and fluffy Victoria sponge, complemented by the sweet and tangy taste of fresh strawberries.
But that’s not all! The cake is further enhanced by the decadence of the meringues, giving it a delicious crunch and a touch of playfulness. To balance these delicious flavors, we generously brushed the cake with a cloud of fresh cream that melts effortlessly in your mouth.
To top it off, a drizzle of creamy white chocolate adds a touch of elegance, while buttery shortcrust crumbs add a delicious crunch to each piece. Whether you’re planning a backyard barbecue or a beach get-together, this summer party cake is guaranteed to steal the show!
- 300 g salted butter, at room temperature
- 300g golden powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste (or the seeds of 2 vanilla pods with 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 6 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 300g self-raising flour
- 900 ml cream
- 1 heaped tablespoon of powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 300g high-quality or homemade strawberry jam (see tip)
- 1kg strawberries, cut into even slices for neat layers (reserve 8 for decorating)
- Pack of gold leaf (optional)
- Meringue Kisses, Chocolate Bark, and Chocolate-Covered Strawberries (see recipes under “Wits with”)
- Shortcrust biscuits (see recipe, or use store-bought biscuits)
Spice up the jam
Mix in a few small, finely diced strawberries to loosen the jam and give the topping a fresh strawberry coulis quality.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease two 23cm tins and line them with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla in a table mixer (or with a hand mixer or wooden spoon) until the mixture is very light, light, and fluffy.
- Gradually mix in the beaten eggs, scraping the side of the bowl after each addition, until completely mixed.
- If using a mixer, add the flour on low speed until just combined – do not over-beat or the sponge may become heavy. If not using a mixer, fold in the flour with a large metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cakes pull away from the sides and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and remove the baking paper to allow the steam to escape and the cakes to cool. In the meantime, make the decorations.
- Before dividing the sponge cakes, use a bread knife to cut off the curved top of each cake.
- Use the same knife or a cake wire to split each sponge horizontally, leaving four layers of sponge.
- A good tip is to use a bread knife to cut a marking line on each sponge.
- Whip the cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy and just holds its shape.
- Place the bottom layer on a cake stand or board.
- Spread with a thin layer of jam and then spread or pipe a good layer of cream on top.
- Arrange an even layer of strawberries neatly around the edge and then sprinkle the center of the sponge cake with more fruit.
- Repeat the process with two more cake layers.
- For the top layer, add the sponge cake and jam and carefully pipe the cream over it.
- Gently press gold leaf onto the chocolate of the strawberries, a few meringues and some of the rind.
- Arrange the chocolate-covered strawberries on the creamy sponge cake dough, then place them in rind chips, meringue and biscuits.
- Finally, sprinkle on a pinch of crushed meringue and some freeze-dried strawberries (from the chocolate bark recipe).
- Serve and consume within a few hours.
Equipment and tools
To make the summer party cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Two round cake tins with a diameter of 20 cm
- parchment paper
- Electric mixer or hand mixer
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Cooling rack
- saw knife
- Palette knife or offset spatula
The summer party cake contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Once the summer party cake is ready, you can store the leftovers as follows:
- Place the cake in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Bring the cake to room temperature before serving.
For the best taste and texture, it is recommended to consume the cake within 3 days.
Health Benefits of Summer Party Cakes
Summer Party Cake is more than just a delicious treat for your taste buds – it also offers several health benefits. From its flavorful ingredients to the abundance of strawberries, this cake is a delicious and nutritious addition to any summer celebration. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits it has to offer.
1. Strawberries for Vitamin C
One of the main ingredients of this cake are strawberries. Packed with vitamins and minerals, strawberries are a great source of vitamin C. Just one cup of strawberries provides more than the recommended daily dose of this vital vitamin. Vitamin C is known for its role in boosting the immune system, promoting healthy skin, and supporting collagen production.
2. Butter for essential fatty acids
The cake batter contains salted butter, which is a source of essential fatty acids. Although butter should be consumed in moderation, it still offers some health benefits. Butter contains healthy saturated fats, which play a role in brain function, hormone production and energy storage. It also contains fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, D, E and K.
3. Eggs for proteins and nutrients
Eggs are another important ingredient in this cake and are a good source of protein. Protein is crucial for building and repairing tissue, producing enzymes and hormones, and supporting overall growth and development. Eggs also contain important vitamins and minerals such as vitamins B12 and D, selenium and choline.
4. Double cream for calcium
The double cream used in the recipe is an excellent source of calcium. Calcium is important for maintaining healthy bones and teeth, supporting muscle function and aiding blood clotting. Including dairy products like double cream in your diet can help ensure adequate calcium intake.
5. Vanilla as an antioxidant
Adding vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract not only provides a pleasant taste but also brings some health benefits. Vanilla is rich in antioxidants that protect the body from free radicals. Antioxidants have been linked to various health benefits, including a reduced risk of chronic diseases.
6. Strawberries for fiber
A generous amount of strawberries between the cake layers provides an extra dose of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. It also helps in controlling blood sugar levels and lowering cholesterol levels.
As you can see, summer party cake not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers numerous health benefits. Treat yourself to this delicious treat without feeling guilty while enjoying the goodness of its nutritious ingredients. Whether you’re hosting a summer party or simply treating yourself, this cake is the perfect choice to enhance your celebration and boost your well-being.
Tip: Spice up the jam by mixing in a few small, finely diced strawberries to loosen the jam and give the topping a fresh strawberry coulis quality.